Trailer Weighing Service available at 2006 Rally

jbeletti

I am pleased to announce that we will be able to offer a trailer weighing service at the 2006 Rally.

Stacey Frank, owner/operator of Weight-It will be in Goshen to attend the Double Tree Mobile Suites Rally the week before ours. Actually, he's in the area for a month.

He has offered his services to us during our rally. Rigs may be weighed as you come into the Fairgrounds on the asphalt lot, during the rally on your camp site or after the rally on your campsite or back on the asphalt lot on the way out.

The service includes weighing the entire rig (truck and trailer) and then the truck by itself. You will receive a detailed analysis and explanation/consultation.

The cost will be $45 per rig. You will schedule with and pay Mr. Frank directly.

If you really want to know what your rig weighs, including side to side and axle to axle variances and at an accuracy level better than a Cat scale, this is a great opportunity to take advantage of.

See you at the Rally!

Jim

jbeletti

Trailer Weights Data from 2006 International Rally

Sorry for the delay on this. Inserted below is the trailer weight data on 19 of the 20 rigs that got weighed at the rally.

In all, I feel it was money well spent to "know" where I was at, side to side and axel to axle. We are now more sensitive to how we load the trailer and when possible, try to get more weight onto the door-side to smooth out our small imbalance.

We'll try to get Stacey and Gail back next year if their travel schedule allows.

//heartlandowners.org/images/2006_Heartland_Rally_Weights.JPG​

jgilbert

Jim,

Is there any way of knowing which model was which? You have listed Landmark and Bighorn, but not model numbers. Those Landmarks are heavy on the pinweight, aren't they? The wife and I are seriously talking about getting a Landmark Grand Canyon 2007. Our current Open Road 357 has a pinweight of about 2500 lbs. I really didn't think the Landmarks would be that much heavier. I guess I need to do some more thinking.

Joe

jbeletti

Joe,

Weight-It does not put personally identifying info. in their weight files that are made public.

I will tell you that the Landmark weighing 16,000 is my Mt. Rushmore. I have a lot of stuff in my storage area and a W/D and a heavy-duty storage slide. As such, my pin weight is second heaviest.

Best of luck to you in your decision on your next rig.

Jim

jpmorgan37

Joe;
Is that 2500 pounds actual or advertised on your Open Road? I find that most of the advertised weights that manufacturers put out are less than actual. My Grand Canyon is number 7 in the list. My pin weight is 3275 and I have a slide tray in the basement that is fairly full. I have the newest bedroom floor plan and don't have a washer/dryer. Hope this helps.
John

jgilbert

jp,

my 2500 is pretty close to actual. The OpenRoad website lists my pinweight at about 2100.

I'm driving a one ton Ford PSD, but it is a SRW. I want a nice quality trailer for my next one for full timing as the wife and I are within a year or two of retirement. I just finished my 31st year of teaching. I really don't want a dually, but may have to seriously consider one.

However, JP, I just noticed you are towing your Grand Canyon with a 2500 GMC. How does it do? Tell me more about what's in your signature. What is "Firestone Airride"?

Joe

jpmorgan37

Joe, My TV does a great job of pulling, ride is good, and with the Brake Smart brake controller the rig stops fast when I need it. BUT-I will probably be driving a MDT within the next six months. Driving in the mountains, I want more truck under me for stopping power. Eight tons pushing a 3/4 ton pickup down a 10% grade isn't my idea of a good time. Now, to answer your question about the Firestone Air Bags, check out this site: http://www.truckspring.com/firestone_254.html?affid=4&OVRAW=firestone%20air%20bags&OVKEY=firestone%20air%20bag&OVMTC=standard. Look at air spring kits and check out Ride Rite. Also do a search on the forum under Firestone. There has been quite a bit of discussion on them and I really like the ride I get with them. I carry about 35 psi when I'm hooked up and 5 psi when I'm not connected.
Good Luck,
John

GaryB

Weights

The table in this thread with actual weights is great info!!! Very helpful to us who are considering buying a Heartland and a matching tow vehicle.

As Joe said, it would be even more useful if model #s could be added. I know the info provided was anonomous. But everybody probably knows what row in the table is theirs. How does the following idea sound? Everybody whose weight is in the table could email Jim Beletti anonmously and tell him 1) what row # in table is theirs, 2) their model # (sorry Jim, I didn't mean to volunteer you for more work ;) ). That way, only Jim would know which weights correspond to which people. Then Jim could make a followup post with the model # for each row in the table. Does that idea make sense, or would it make people uncomfortable?

Thanks
Gary

Trap

That's a great idea, as it would sure help some people who are concerned about weights.

Trap

jbeletti

Fine by me Gary. If I get sufficient response (PM/email is fine) from those who got weighed, I can update the table.

For now, for what it is worth to others, based on open posts in this forum, we can share this:

4. Landmark Mt. Rushmore
7. Landmark Grand Canyon

Jim

dennylm

Jim,

Did you ever get any responses for the Bighorns? The more I hear and read about actual weights being so much more than sticker weights the more concerned I get about choosing the right trailer for my F250!

Thanks!

Denny