Trailer wiring to 7 pin

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and hopefully someone can help me.

I'm looking for the wiring from the trailer harness to the 7 pin connector.
In the Heartland Users Guide there is mention of typical trailer wiring but nowhere does it mention other colors.

What if your trailer wires are : Orange, Pink, Purple, Brown, Black, 10 ga. Red and White ?Considering colors from the 7 pin connector are : Brown, Green, Yellow, Blue, White, Red and 10 ga. Black....
and the breakaway switch having Blue and Orange/Black...
then how do you know which color goes to what???

Is it the following?
- Pink + Brown
- Purple + Green
- all whites together
- all blues together
- 10 ga. Black + Orange + Red
- Orange/Black + 10 ga. Red

Everywhere I look I find the typical trailer wiring which doesn't match the colors on the trailer. Even the book that came with the trailer only has typical wiring.

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:

whp4262

Has the plug been removed? If you can determine which one of the wires is ground you can run 12v to each of the remaining wires and see what lights up. You should also be able to hear the brake magnets click when you energize them. One of the bigger wires should be B+ to charge your battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

JanAndBill

I'm going to guess the Red 10 ga wire is to the brakes and White 10 ga is the ground (verify it with an ohm meter). Then use 12 volt power to track the other wires for tailights, turn signals and brake lights.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going to guess the Red 10 ga wire is to the brakes and White 10 ga is the ground (verify it with an ohm meter). Then use 12 volt power to track the other wires for tailights, turn signals and brake lights.
Blue is for brakes.

Peace
Dave

TedS

Here is from Heartland Owners wiki: //heartlandowners.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=7-Pin_Harness

May help.

Here is from Heartland Owners wiki: //heartlandowners.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=7-Pin_Harness

May help.

Thanks Ted, but I had already found that and it doesn't help me.
It's the typical wiring which is different from the colors I get from my trailer.

Yes the plug got disconnected.
When we opened the box that's what we saw together but now we have no left signal and when we plug the 7 pin the lights turn on on the truck and the trailer so we have a wire wrong.
Guess we'll try testing each wire one by one and see what it does.

mbopp

Offhand it sounds like you have the 12V charge line and running light wires reversed.
Is this a GM or other truck where the 12V charge line is always hot?
Sorry, my NT is in storage otherwise I'd pop the cover and check my wiring colors for you.