Transfer Switch Question

avvidclif

What is the "normal" position of the transfer switch, 120v input or generator? Anyone know the model # on the new gen equipped Heartlands?

brianharrison

What is the "normal" position of the transfer switch, 120v input or generator? Anyone know the model # on the new gen equipped Heartlands?

Normal position is 120v input, referred to as shore power. When the generator side is energized the switch "snaps" into generator feed and isolates shore power. Sorry can't help with current model. 2011 was Progressive Dynamics PD50 if I remember correctly.

Brian

Jim.Allison

The default position is the generator. Default means that when the transfer switch has two sources of power to choose from, it "defaults" to the generator. The assumption being that if you have started the generator, then you must want power from the generator, and not shore power.

Carefully read the wiring diagram on the inside of the cover or in the installation manual for details.

To answer your question though, I guess you could say that the normal position is shore power if there is no power from the generator. But that is not Default!

avvidclif

Got one vote for each way. With some obfuscation thrown in for good measure. That's a honking big relay in the transfer switch and when no power is applied in either way which way is it pointed, shore or generator?

I could try and look up the manual if I knew what it was. As far a getting to it, I haven't figured out a way yet. I just barely can see it behind all the plumbing.

danemayer

The Progressive Dynamics PD50 (and derivatives) is probably the most commonly used switch. According to the manual:
  • When power is applied to the shore side, the contactor activates and supplies power to the panel.
  • When power is applied to the Gen side, there is a 20-45 second delay and then the Gen side contact will activate. The shore side is locked out.
  • Generator power overrides shore power. If shore power returns when operating on generator power, nothing happens. When generator power is removed, the contactor drops out and allows power to be supplied from the shore side.

What is the "normal" position? Since the contactor has to be activated one way or the other, I think there is no such thing as a "normal" position. Is there a "default" position? Again, since the contactor has to be activated one way or the other, I would not describe it that way.

On a unit that has not yet been installed, if continuity is checked from the shore power input through to the output side, the circuit appears to be closed while at rest. That would appear to be the "normal" position. However, based on my discussion with Progressive Dynamics Service on this question, and what the manual says, I believe the contactor must be activated on shore power in order to ensure a good electrical connection.

avvidclif

Look here for all the docs on the switch you "likely" have. We use the one from TRC in most 5th wheels but Toyhaulers may be difference - not sure. And TRC's website for the switch you likely have.

Thanks Jim, that's probably what it is as when I turn on the pedestal breaker almost immediately I hear a click and the RV is powered up. Mainlly I wanted to know if it had some type of protection from pedestal problems and the TRC does. Since I can't get to the input side of it to wire my surge protection I will put it on the output and not worry about a pedestal fault damaging the Transfer Switch.

Thanks everyone,