Trip Planning Suggestions-Smokies & DC

loganhughes

We are planning a spring 2017 RV adventure departing Dallas late April. We plan to travel to Asheville, Smokey Mountain National Park, Washington DC partly traveling the Blue Ridge Parkway, Shenandoah National Park, Nashville, and back to Dallas via Natchez Trace. We are planning on about 4 weeks. We especially like camping in COE and state park campgrounds (no frills but hookups). We would very much appreciate suggestions/ideas/cautions/etc. In particular our timing, route planning, campground ideas, must see/do, etc. Thanks in advance for any input.

busted2341

We traveled the east coast last year, http://fadtravels.simplesite.com/. Some of the area you are heading into are covered in this trip. We were very sucessful using Good Sam Trip Planner so give that a try. Cherry Hill RV Park is close to DC, has a shuttle to the subway and the staff was easy to deal with and helpful. It is kind of pricey. I would not pull through the Smokies, found that one out the hard way but nashville has a GREAT KOA on Music Valley Drive. Just do a little research where ever you are and you'll have a great time finding some out of the way interesting stuff. I would also recommend the purchase of the East and West Mountain Driving Books (http://www.mountaindirectory.com/shop/) that way you stay out of mountain passes you should not be in! We had a blast and are heading west in a week. Be safe...

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
We've been to Cherry Hill RV park several times. Close to DC and offers different transportation options. Highly recommend. But it is a very busy campground.

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
Since your trip starts in Dallas I would suggest going east on the I30 into Texarkana to the I40 (avoiding that nightmare called Atlanta). There is an area that is the most beautiful in the country, Eastern TN/Western NC (yes, I grew up there, a place called Fines Creek NC, top of the Smokies). A great place to visit is Pigeon Forge/GatlinburgTN. There is also a nice little camping area that is in the Cherokee area (http://www.indiancreekcampground.com/camping/). From there you can keep on to Asheville. I would also look into Winchester VA, the Cherry trees in bloom are incredible (more than those on the DC mall). Hope this is helpfull.

loganhughes

Since your trip starts in Dallas I would suggest going east on the I30 into Texarkana to the I40 (avoiding that nightmare called Atlanta). There is an area that is the most beautiful in the country, Eastern TN/Western NC (yes, I grew up there, a place called Fines Creek NC, top of the Smokies). A great place to visit is Pigeon Forge/GatlinburgTN. There is also a nice little camping area that is in the Cherokee area (http://www.indiancreekcampground.com/camping/). From there you can keep on to Asheville. I would also look into Winchester VA, the Cherry trees in bloom are incredible (more than those on the DC mall). Hope this is helpfull.

Thanks, Rory! It looks like we will need to make a departure date adjustment. We have a grandkids commitment that popped up the end of April in Tulsa. We will now be departing from Tulsa on May 1st using I-40 east. We do appreciate your suggestions as well as the others. We're still open to other ideas and suggestions!

MTPockets

Check the Blue Ridge Parkway and Natchez Trace web sites for tunnel clearances and/or trailer restrictions. Also my opinion; we drove about half of the Natchez Trace several years ago (no trailer) and it was the most boring drive ever... 45 mph and miles & miles of nothing but trees lining the roadway. We finally abandoned the road and enjoyed the rest of the trip...

mlpeloquin

Cherry Hill RV Park for DC is the best. The Blue Ridge Mountain Parkway should not be missed, but not for your fifth wheel. Find a RV park near and drive it part way and then move. It is one of the best scenic drives in the US. We did it in our old class C and would never consider doing it pulling the fifth wheel behind us. One tunnel fit the class C, but I drove in the center of the road.
https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs...04/Blue-Ridge-Parkway-Tunnel.jpg&action=click

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs...=yhs-mozilla-004&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-004

The parkway is just as pictured. Along the way are stops for Gettysburg and the northern end Harpers Ferry. We started in the southern end in North Carolina. There we found an Indian Reservation and North Carolina gold! It is a beautiful area and you may want to stay or revisit. We will be back.

Dennyha

Re: Trip Planning Suggestions-Smokies & DC

If you like COE campgrounds,one of our favorites is NE of Nashville. It is between Hendersonville and Gallatin. It is called Cages Bend. We will be there again over Easter weekend. Just make sure you pick a site that will fit your fifth wheel.

Last year, we stayed at the Big Meadows campground in Shenandoah. It was beautiful. Be careful as there is a low clearance tunnel on the northern end of Skyline Drive. I think the clearance is like 12'. You can get to the campgrounds via one of the more southern entrances. Big Meadows campground is close to mile marker 50. The low clearance, I think, is up around mile marker 12. (I could be wrong.)

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Sounds like ya'll have a great trip planned. Agree in that I would not pull your camper thru the Smokies, too many switch-backs and narrow roads. We like to stay on the outer edges of the Smokies like Townsend or Wears Valley. These campgrounds are a very short drive into Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge but more importantly right on the edge of the Smoky Mountain National Park. We like to stay at Big Meadows Family Campground in Townsend, River Plantation in Sevierville and Cove Creek in Wears Valley but these are only a few of many, many campgrounds within the area.

We're considering a similar trip this summer. Starting in Dallas then a few nights in Memphis then to the Gatlinburg area for a few days. A visit to Ashville. After that we'll work our way back to Dallas but we don't have specifics planned for that portion of the trip yet. I'm anxious to hear about your trip. We're considering including D.C. but we're not sure yet.

NYSUPstater

Like others have said, avoid the Blue Ridge Parkway towing anything. We stayed at the KOA West in Asheville 2 years ago. Drive way is a tad steep and can see lots of scrape marks from rear stabilizers. Sites are pretty close, but doable (we did it w/ a 35' BH). Only a couple miles from a truck/fuel stop and easy access to I-40. Biltmore Estate is awesome and a short drive away from said campground. Another vote for Cherry Hill Park in DC. Next to interstate and is a active park. Can take shuttle to the Metro or drive yourself to the Metro garage (short drive). DO get yourself a Metro map from the CG and follow the colors. Plan on a lot of walking in the DC/mall area. Plus plan on 2-3 days to see everything. Can book a tour on the "Grey Line" tour bus company. We did and it turned out very nice. Arlington Cemetery is a must stop (IMO) and the changing of the guard, as well as the WW II Memorial. In fact, can't go wrong w/ any of the memorials. If you want to take a approx 1/2 hour-45 min ride, head over to the Smithsonian aviation museum (forgot which airport it's next to) as it has the Enola Gay and a SR71 Blackbird along w/ other planes and such. We've been to DC 2x ('08, '15) and outside of the traffic, lots to see.

Thanks for the information. I have been to the Biltmore and to D.C. but my wife hasn't. This will, however, be the 1st time to take the TT.

DirtyMax88

We are planning a spring 2017 RV adventure departing Dallas late April. We plan to travel to Asheville, Smokey Mountain National Park, Washington DC partly traveling the Blue Ridge Parkway, Shenandoah National Park, Nashville, and back to Dallas via Natchez Trace. We are planning on about 4 weeks. We especially like camping in COE and state park campgrounds (no frills but hookups). We would very much appreciate suggestions/ideas/cautions/etc. In particular our timing, route planning, campground ideas, must see/do, etc. Thanks in advance for any input.

If you need anything while in and around DC, directions, recommendations, helping hand, etc. please feel free to contact us. We live close by (Davidsonville, MD), and as some have mentioned the Cherry Hill campground, I pass it every day to and from work. Hope you have a great trip!

loganhughes

Thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions/ideas. Much like RockwallJDGx2, I've been on most of this trip 20+ years ago, but this will be the first time with the TT and my wife. Thanks for the offer, DirtyMax88!

loganhughes

Well, our spring trip turned into a fall trip when some family obligations came up. However we had a great 3 week trip. When in the Asheville area we stayed 5 nights at the Lake Powhatan US Forest Service campground at the southwest side of the city (great campground). On the way there we went through Great Smoky Mountain National Park through Gatlinburg. We went back to the GSMNP one day (a bit of a drive but a beautiful one including about 30 miles on the Blue Ridge Parkway). A pleasant surprise was a visit one day to the Blue Ridge Parkway Visitor Center southeast of Asheville. It's a beautiful facility with videos and artifacts on the development of the Parkway. As others had commented, the Asheville area is beautiful. Being there the last week of September, the foliage was about a third of the way turned and about half way at higher elevations.

We traveled via interstate to the DC area and camped at Bull Run Regional Park for 9 days. This park was beautiful and had a very well run campground operated by NOVA with lots of kids activities during the summer including a small water park. It was only about 15 miles from the Vienna Metro Station in Fairfax and the trip to the station took 25 to 45 minutes depending on the hour with all the crazy DC traffic. We were also close to the NRA Headquarters along with National Firearms Museum (highly recommended for all the gun nuts), Bull Run Manassas National Battlefield Park, and the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum at Dulles Airport. We took in most of the Smithsonian Museums, National Monuments/Memorials, Arlington National Cemetery, Old Town Arlington, and toured the Capitol including both chambers while Congress was in session plus a small group coffee reception with Senator Ted Cruz. We only drove into DC on the weekend when we knew we could find parking. Otherwise, we used the Metro, which was very navigable.

On the way home we visited the Creation Museum in northern Kentucky just southwest of Cincinnati. This Museum is fabulous and we'd highly recommend visiting it one day followed/preceded the next day with the Ark Encounter (life size replica of the Biblical Noah's Ark). We had visited the Ark in 2016 and for the sake of time, we didn't go this year. As an aside, we had our first experience staying overnight at the Cabela's in Cincinnati. We arrived late and left early the next morning and really appreciated having that option.

It was a great trip with a total of 20 days! With the miles covered, I wouldn't want to do it in fewer days. I apologize for not writing this sooner but got busy, etc.!