Trombetta's

larkinstuart

We have a 2017 BigHorn 3720Rs and replace 3 trombettas on this rig. I and our repair man has had Lippert tech support on the phone and no one can figure out why these trombetta's are going out. Anyone had this problem.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The 80 amp breaker should be just fine as long as it is not defective.
Are you getting 12 volts to the Trombetta and is it getting a12 volt signal from the switch to close the contactor?

Peace
Dave

larkinstuart

Will check all of that. But, what if the couches wiring is only good for 50amp and the wiring needs to be upgrade to accept 80amps

larkinstuart

Had Lance from Lippert on phone after we put 4th trombetta on testing voltage as we retracted etc and all readings were good. Bottomline, Lippert can't figure out why we are burning up trombettas. Any engineers out there with suggestions. Battery also checked, all while disconnected from shore power.

Bogie

Two things I can think of.

1. The voltage may be fine, but the current may not be. I wasn't able to find any specification for maximum current on Lippert trombettas. But there has to be a max current rating. You might want to ask Lippert what that is and measure the current while in operation. It might be the pump causing an over current situation in the trombetta.

2. The name plate on their trombettas says two important things. First it says "5 min Max on Time". You might want to check the time it takes to extend and retract the slides to be sure yours is not exceeding that limit. Also, it says "Max Torque 35 in lbs " for the terminals. That has to be on there for a reason. Most folks don't have an in. lb torque wrench, but try to make sure you aren't over tightening the connectors.

Hope that helps

Last edited:

larkinstuart

Two thing I can think of.

1. The voltage may be fine, but the current may not be. I wasn't able to find any specification for maximum current on Lippert trombettas. But there has to be a max current rating. You might want to ask Lippert what that is and the measure the current while in operation. It might be the pump causing an over current situation in the trombetta.

2. The name plate on their trombettas says two important things. First it says "5 min Max on Time". You might want to check the time it takes to extend and retract the slides to be sure yours is not exceeding that limit. Also, it says "Max Torque 35 in lbs " for the terminals. That has to be on there for a reason. Most folks don't have an in. lb torque wrench, but try to make sure you aren't over tightening the connectors.

Hope that helps
thanks for info. will check