Truck bed to camper clearance

Looking for info on the optimum clearance between the truck bed and the bottom of the camper.
We have a 2010 Cyclone 3850. Tow vehicle is 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 dually. I have installed Air Lift air
bags. With 50 psi in the air bags the trailer and truck is square and level and not on the overload springs.
With this set up I have 5 inches between the truck bed and camper. Is that enough distance?

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
When we bought our 1st 5th wheel back in 2004, the dealer told us to have about 7 inches of clearance between bedrail and camper. On some tight angles when the camper is leaning one way and the truck is leaning another, that 7 inches has been real close but works. We are on our 4 5th wheel camper and have set up all of them with clearance between 6.5 to 7 inches.

Last edited:
Sounds good thanks. To get that extra distance I will have to lower my pin box. I am not sure if that two inches will
cause the rig to run nose high. Also worried about going from five bolts to three bolts in the pin box.

jnbhobe

Can't you raise the hitch to gain some space and let it ride on the helpers, it may ride better.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I'd raise your hitch to the next hole, that will give you 6"-6.5" of bed clearance. Your Cyclone may be a little nose height after this adjustment but it's a good trade off in my opinion. I had to raise my Sundance 5er 3" to get 6" bed clearance while traveling level.

Thanks for the info.lowered the pin box two inches. I now have six inches to six and one half inches. Hope that will do it.
I drilled two additional holes in each side of pin box to retain five bolts on each side.The only other thing I could do is
buy a longer goose neck adapter. Go from a twelve inch to a fifteen inch.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Are you towing with a "gooseneck" hitch"? Lippert and HL DOES NOT recommend this. Puts tooooo much stress on the pinbox.