Trying to avoid disaster

ClarksLaw

Just got a 2015 North Trail and very happy to have it. I bought it as is and some serious problems have come up. Worse than the roof leak, I've seen clear signs the entire sewer system is about to go nuclear. Everything is at one point or another of failing. I envision a dump tank perfect storm. Question is, what can I do to delay this disaster until I have enough money to replace everything?

Bogie

Stay in a park that has a restroom and don't use the RV toilet. A gray water disaster is far easier to deal with than black water disaster.

ClarksLaw

Decided it might be helpful if the situation with my sewer system was explained.

The black & grey water tanks for the bathroom are 40 gallons each and sit side by side. They are the original tanks. The connections for the black tank are on the left and the grey tanks are on the right. The grey tank for the kitchen has it's connection on the left and would appear to have been replaced by a used black tank as it's connections are on the left. When I first dumped it everything that came out of it looked and smelled like it was from a black tank. The equipment connected directly to the tanks has failed or is about to. These parts on the black tank cannot take the pressure from holding back 40 gallons of water especially when it's released in a big whoosh.

The only thing I know to do is install the hose kit with a wye and leave all three tanks open as I can't risk the pull rods breaking in the closed position. The toilet is an Aqua-Magic V which has a tiny bowel and a side lever to flush it. My repair guy is trying to see if a Dometic 320 series will fit the bolt pattern so it can be installed. I need it's size and foot peddle to more easily deal with running adequate amounts of water through the tank. Had to do this once before because of an issue with previous RV, but that situation wasn't nearly as dire as this.

🚻 The park does have bathroom facilities which I can use during the day. At night I don't feel safe walking up there at 3 in the morning.

If anyone has any suggestions, they would be appreciated.

Bogie

The only thing I know to do is install the hose kit with a wye and leave all three tanks open as I can't risk the pull rods breaking in the closed position.

The black tank in an RV is not meant to be open all the time. It is meant to be closed until full and then dumped.

Leaving the black tank open all the time will inevitably lead to the dreaded poop pile in the tank which will clog the tank and cause additional problems.

For 3 in the morning problem, I would suggest keeping a special container in the bathroom that can be dumped in the morning. 😳

ClarksLaw

The black tank in an RV is not meant to be open all the time. It is meant to be closed until full and then dumped.

Leaving the black tank open all the time will inevitably lead to the dreaded poop pile in the tank which will clog the tank and cause additional problems.

For 3 in the morning problem, I would suggest keeping a special container in the bathroom that can be dumped in the morning. 😳

ClarksLaw

The "poop" pile happened in my previous RV because it had been leaking out water and we didn't know. Flushed it out and got a flusher for it. Second time we had to leave it open we would flush three full bowls of water down it and run the garden hose with the spritzer attached plus we dumped two 5 gallons of water down the toilet every week. When it rained really hard we dumped up to 7 or more 5 gallon buckets of water down the toilet every 2 to 3 minutes (that's how bad the roof leak was). It never clogged up. To dump a 5 gallon bucket of water into this tank I need that Dometic toilet. Of course, this encourages the drain flies which have to be felt with.

The container in the bathroom I will look into to see if there is something that will fit. Like that idea a lot better that the toilet chair in the shower.

I truly do appreciate all of your advice and suggestions and will follow through as best I can. Thank you.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Temporary toilets. They make a seat that you fit over a 5gallon bucket with a plastic bag liner for hunting. When we had a pontoon, I kept a small porta-potty on board for the wife to use so we didn’t have to run to every shoreside facility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ClarksLaw

Decided it might be helpful if the situation with my sewer system was explained.

The black & grey water tanks for the bathroom are 40 gallons each and sit side by side. They are the original tanks. The connections for the black tank are on the left and the grey tanks are on the right. The grey tank for the kitchen has it's connection on the left and would appear to have been replaced by a used black tank as it's connections are on the left. When I first dumped it everything that came out of it looked and smelled like it was from a black tank. The equipment connected directly to the tanks has failed or is about to. These parts on the black tank cannot take the pressure from holding back 40 gallons of water especially when it's released in a big whoosh.

The only thing I know to do is install the hose kit with a wye and leave all three tanks open as I can't risk the pull rods breaking in the closed position. The toilet is an Aqua-Magic V which has a tiny bowel and a side lever to flush it. My repair guy is trying to see if a Dometic 320 series will fit the bolt pattern so it can be installed. I need it's size and foot peddle to more easily deal with running adequate amounts of water through the tank. Had to do this once before because of an issue with previous RV, but that situation wasn't nearly as dire as this.

🚻 The park does have bathroom facilities which I can use during the day. At night I don't feel safe walking up there at 3 in the morning.

I do not have a vehicle and Uber is costing a fortune. There is no one I trust to get a ride from here. Have lived at this park for 30 years. Not moving. The next nearest park is 20 miles away and costs twice as much meaning Uber would be 4x as expensive and my doctor's out of reach. I have a limited income. I was very lucky to get this RV and extremely grateful to those that made it possible. Without it I'd been homeless two months ago.

This Is SURVIVAL mode. Using what you have and making do. Doing what you have to do. People who have never been here will never understand.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The effluent from the gray kitchen tank can smell just as bad as a black tank if its left too long. Organics decompose and generate hydrogen sulfide, just like poop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ClarksLaw

Didn't know. Don't know how long the RV just sat around, but that seems to explain the nasty that came out of the two grey tanks. Thank you.