Turn signal problem with new 3110

bobca1

Picked up my new 3110 today. After hooking it up though, we discovered there is a problem with brake light wiring. Somewhere in the wiring the left and right turn signals are connected together, so lights on both sides flash when turning (as if the hazards were on). Its not a problem in the wiring up by the hitch, pulled the cover off there and checked connections. I didn't want to leave it another week at the dealer, and make the trip again they are 150mi away from my home. The dealer allowed me to drive it of the lot and offered to cover the cost for a mobile RV mechanic to fix it.

Anyone else seen issue like this, any ideas where the problem wire might be and do you think this would be a simple fix a remote mechanic can fix? Or do I need to take it back to the dealer. Sounds like there might be a junction box below the left rear tail light - I pulled on the wiring a little and sounded like there is a box up under the sheet metal cover.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There is a junction box to the rear of the pin box.
Check the connections there.

Peace
Dave

bobca1

There is a junction box to the rear of the pin box.
Check the connections there.

Thank you for the reply. When I said hitch that's what I meant pinbox - already checked there in that junction box. Regardless of which wire i connect power to (left or right) both tails lights up.

donr827

When you put your emergency flasher on what does the lights on the rear of the trailer do? It might be a wiring problem.
Don

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Bob, is it the stop/turn or tail lamps? Remove the lamp assemblies and look at the wiring there. Get some kind of 12V test lite and probe the wires. See what color wire is for tail lamps and which one is for stop/turn. What you need to keep in mind is that the "bulb" has 2 different filiments. One is tail...one is stop (the brightest). Make sure you remove all the lamps and disconnect all the connectors. There might be one lamp assemble that is bad....both filiments touching together. That will cause a feedback through the system. Make sure you check every wire for both circuits one at a time. I think the wire harness is white and white with a red tracer...I think.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
OOOPS, you have a CY. It has vertical mounted lites on each side of the lift gate. The same testing still applies.

bobca1

OOOPS, you have a CY. It has vertical mounted lites on each side of the lift gate. The same testing still applies.

Yep I have Cyclone with the 2 tall vertical light assemblies. Appear to be LEDs and the enclosures are sealed to the frame, otherwise I would have already pulled them off. Not that they can;t be removed but I would have to caulk them after re-installing. Dealer is offering to pay for service to fix them so I will let someone else do the work, was just curious if anyone else was familiar with the wiring on the Cyclones or had encountered this same issue so I could provide guidance to the tech where to look first. e.g. does the wire go straight back to the tail lights from the pin box, or are there any other junction boxes along the way?

The problem is with the stop/turn lights. I pulled the cover off the pin box and checked wiring there. Temporarily disconnected both the left and right (hot) wires - when voltage is applied to either one both stop/turns light up. Clearance/tail lights work fine. Got to be problem with wiring in the tail light enclosures, or in junction box somewhere if that exists.

porthole

Retired
You can get to the tail light wiring form inside the garage. Carpeted panel about 3-4 inches wide screed on over the channel where the wires run.

avvidclif

Last Friday, ready to leave dealer after PDI. Checked lights on trailer. All running light OK. Left turn signal, OK. Right Turn signal did not work with running lights on. Turn off running lights and it worked??? Turns out 2 wires on the right light were reversed.....