Voltage Drop Inside Power Cord Reel

We have a 2018 Bighorn model 3270. Has anyone had issues, repairs, or removal of the power cord real? I have a feeling that I am losing voltage on line one. Is this possible and is there a solution?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Although not a real common occurrence it has happened. Some have has a loose connection and at least one other had the copper contacts burn off.
I believe that if you unroll all of your shore cord you will find a little access door where you can do a little investigating.
You might also want to take a look at your breaker panel. It's also possible that there is a loose wire at the main breaker.
Always disconnect from shore power before performing any of these steps.
Let us know what you find.

Peace
Dave

I have removed the panel on the reel. I have insured the connections were and are tight. Also, I checked voltage at pedestal and at cord connection to reel. No voltage drop here on both lines. The issue I am trying to investigate is what about the connection between the reel and the cord inside the rv that will go to the EMS. I do not see it as a breaker issue because my EMS is before the breaker box. And it is the EMS that is seeing low voltage. Also, breakers monitor amps not voltage.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We have a 2018 Bighorn model 3270. Has anyone had issues, repairs, or removal of the power cord real? I have a feeling that I am losing voltage on line one. Is this possible and is there a solution?
What Cookie says… start there

You can also check voltage on each leg of the 50A breaker in the panel

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Is your rig wired with a transfer switch?
What brand is your EMS? What is the voyage going in, going out?
It could be failing.

Peace
Dave

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Has anyone checked the pedestal? Wouldn’t be the first there is an issue there