Water Heater Mystery Leak?

BobTheBuilder

20170916_100136.jpg20170916_095858.jpgOccasionaly I would find a small puddle of water in the center of the basement. Maybe a couple of times a week or maybe less (low spot in the basement floor). This has been going on for months and I simply could not find where it was coming from. Yesterday I opened up and this time there was still a little trail of water leading to the water heater, but not flowing. Both of the fittings (inlet and outlet) were dry but there was some water directly below them where the OSB board was still wet. Does anyone have any idea what could be leaking on an such an odd intermitten basis? Perhaps one of the fittings above leaked and was completely dry by the time I found it. The steel fitting on the cold water inlet is rusted but it was when I purchased the coach.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would, and have, replace both the nipple and check valve if equipped.
I would, and have, tighten the PEX clamps.
I had a small leak and those steps stopped it.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

On 2011 builds, the industry standard was a plastic check valve on the hot water outlet from the water heater. It may have developed a small crack that will get worse over time. If yours still has a plastic check valve, I'd suggest you get a replacement like this, and a short 1/2" nipple. If you're very lucky, the plastic check valve will come out in one piece. If not, replacement will be more involved.

Page 14 of our owner-written Water Heater Troubleshooting Guide details the replacement procedure.

BobTheBuilder

I have the brass check valve and nipple ready to put in. But do you think there is some way it could leak just occasionally like this?

danemayer

I have the brass check valve and nipple ready to put in. But do you think there is some way it could leak just occasionally like this?
Pressure inside the tank probably varies depending on water pressure from the campground faucet, and depending on how hot the water in the tank gets. So I don't have any trouble imagining an intermittent leak in the early stages of a crack.

donr827

I had a little crack in a plastic T. Only way I found it was to wrap the fittings in toilet paper and waited for one to become wet.
Don

sengli

There are small rubber seals in those fittings, and I have found with temp changes the gaskets fail after period of time. I have replaced the entire fitting or some places sell the rubber seals separately too. It certainly could also be that check valve on the outflow line, of the water heater too. Can you hand tighten the fittings in the photo?