We plan to take our Bighorn out with only 5 of 6 landing gear operational

Grampafish

Washington Chapter Leaders-Retired
While dry camping on the Crooked River, the rig went out of level on the third day. I used the auto level and it brought it back to level. A couple hours later, it was out again. Seems the rear unit on the non-door (port) side wasn't holding. It did raise properly when we departed but I had called for an appointment with the dealer (also Heartland authorized service center) the day we got back. It turns out this happened in week 53 of my ownership. The service writer at the dealer thought Heartland would probably honor the one year warranty anyway. They declined. He contacted Lippert and they have agreed to cover parts and labor under warranty.

Now my concern. I have a trip planned next week and the repair parts will not be delivered for several weeks so I plan to use the rig with a defective level up system. I assume I can use manual commands to operate three of the rear four landing gears and as long as the port side is higher than the starboard side I can use the port-side wheels and other two gear and the three on the starboard side to attain level. I may need to use boards under the starboard tires to get them level or slightly higher than the other set. I have no idea whether this will work. Maybe I should not use any of the four rear landing gear and just level the old fashioned way with wood, plastic blocks and the front jacks.

Anyone had a similar issue and used this or a better solution? Thanks for any advice.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
It seems it might be easier to just use the front jacks and boards under the tires until you get it fixed by the dealer. It's good to hear Lippert is stepping up.

danemayer

The service writer at the dealer thought Heartland would probably honor the one year warranty anyway. They declined. He contacted Lippert and they have agreed to cover parts and labor under warranty.
Lippert provides the warranty on the levelup system.