What is the usage of coil 12 VDC part 111-257D

i buyed an old RV class C 1998 Glendale 30 RBSS, builded on Ford Econoline E-super Duty V10 triton.
i have problem to charging compartment auxilliary home batterie when motor is running or when the 110 V power is connected, i suspect tthe coil 111-257D, doesnt work, could you help me by sending shematic diagram or by a procedure to check it all.
If somebody have the user manual it should be excellent.

Thank

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think you will find any help here on a towable forum. We don't have steering wheels.
Best you search a motorhome forum.

Peace
Dave

Roller4tan

The two smaller wires activate the coil to close the contacts for the two larger wires. An audible click should be heard when activated and voltage will travel through the contacts

Dahillbilly

i buyed an old RV class C 1998 Glendale 30 RBSS, builded on Ford Econoline E-super Duty V10 triton.
i have problem to charging compartment auxilliary home batterie when motor is running or when the 110 V power is connected, i suspect tthe coil 111-257D, doesnt work, could you help me by sending shematic diagram or by a procedure to check it all.

Thanks
one should actvate with the ignition switch & the other when connected to shore power

david-steph2018

Thank
A good source of information could be: irv2 forum. It covers all types of RVs.

centerline

Thank
this is the basic information on how the solenoid works.... when power is applied to the S terminal, the two large lugs should connect together inside.... when power is removed from the S term, the 2 large lugs will separate.... sometimes the T terminal will be DIFFERENT, and instead of it producing voltage, it will be an isolated ground, which can be used in several ways to sense and activate the solenoid from downstream, in the same way that the positive can be wired to do it on the upstream side, depending on the model of the solenoid...

some testing with a multimeter will tell you what you have, but if its faulty, probably not if you dont really know about how they work..

and when replacing it, another one that looks exactly like it WONT necessarily be the same configuration inside.... so make sure you replace it with a compatible model, which can even look different than the one you have....
22b7a31959fe0ed5798ed06b21591953.jpg

centerline

after seeing the remarks, and having to look again at the photo, how have you determined the unit is bad?..... that wiring is a failure in plain sight, and is likely to be the entire issue....