Where To Mount An Inverter

scottyb

I recentltly swithched my single 12V battery for 2 GC-2 6V batteries. I ordered a 2500W inverter, fuse socket, and fuses. My intentions are to be able to run my coffee maker in the AM, 50" TV + Dish receiver at night, and maybe a few other small appliances w/o having to run my genny. I am not prepared to go the fully integrated route yet and am prepared to use extension cords for now. I'm just trying to decide where to mount the inverter. Since it will require large cabbles from the battery to the inverter, I assume it need to be pretty close to the batteries, which are in the forward compartment. Any opinions on where and how to mount the inverter?

My long range plan is to add 2 more 6V batteries, and install an inverter / charger but I have a lot more questions about that.

Sumo

I place my Inverter in the front compartment. Put the 4, 6 volt battery on a plastic trunk from Wal-Mart.

I have an 1800 watt inverter which will run the micro wave oven long enough to heat up a cup of coffee or heat up a b-fast sandwich I haven't tried to run the coffee maker.

I do us my set up to watch TV and run a fan all night long for the white noise. After 10 hrs my battery bank is down to 12.2 or about 20%.

The biggest problem I have is running the AC and charging the battery. My generator is not big enough, 3000 watt.

scottyb

Ok, so you place the inverter in the front compartment and run an extension cord to the appliances? I have my 6V batteries in the front compartment.

DougS

Doug S
Scottyb,
I believe the closer you can install the inverter to the battery without being in the came compartment, the better. My 2,000 watt inverter came with instructions to use less then 6 foot of 00 wire between the battery and inverter. I was unable to find 00 wire locally, so I used 0 wire and keep the distance down to 3 feet, and mounted the inverter on the basement wall. I also energize my whole RV through a transfer switch. I have to be careful to shut off electric heater in refrig., electric water heater, and no AC. I also have to shut off my 80 amp converter by a switch I installed. With a remote switch, I can energize my RV in seconds then just wait about 30 seconds for the transfer switch to energize the RV.
Last summer the inverter came in handy when the town I was camping in lost electric for the night because of a storm which came through just as we were cooking. We were able to use the microwave, Keurig, TV, and ceiling fan with no problem.

porthole

Retired
Scott, given the choice of wires - short battery cables - long AC 110 service wire.

I use 2/0 for most heavy DC applications. And if the inverter is close enough to the batteries I'd even go 4/0.
I use all marine hardware, but I also have a West Marine account.

At times I get my wire and lugs from McMaster Carr
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-electrical-wire/=m3ac2l

I am considering installing my inverter in the front compartment above the generator. I'd be using a vented to the outside battery box so I wouldn't be concerned about the off gas issue. Also using AGM quality batteries which really have no off-gassing as long as charge - discharge rates are within reason.

When I bougth my inverter I thoght I had gotten the 2 input 2 output model, ended up being th e1 in 1 out and that is the reason it is still not hooked up.
I have and would order a unit that can run the trailer, built in charger and automatic transfer switch. I may still use the one I have and just use it on one side of the panel. Only problem with that is last year I moved circuits around a bit to better split the panel. Now many key items are on both busses.

And if you have the Progressive EMS, the inverter HAS to go after the EMS with the install.

scottyb

Duane, I read the earlier thread where the guy installed the inverter / charger in place of his converter, and routed it to a sub panel where he moved all the circuits he wanted to power from his batteries. I think I followed everything pretty well with his photos as a backup. If i am correct, everything he moved to the sub panel will always be powered by the batteries and never from shore power? If wired like that, the EMS would not come into play, right?

porthole

Retired
Scott, not sure which thread you are referring to.

For starters, as wired from the factory:
Shore power in, A & B to transfer switch to EMS to panel box A & B
Generator in, A & B to transfer switch to EMS to panel box A & B

When on either incoming AC source, converter is charging house batteries and EMS is protecting the trailer.

Cyclone transfer switches are wired so that generator has priority, e.g. when on shore power and starting generator, transfer goes to generator, regardless of AC supply.

As you describe above:
Best case scenario with a higher end inverter wired in as you mention will:

Shore power in, A & B to transfer switch to EMS - A to panel box - B - to inverter - to sub panel.
Generator in, A & B to transfer switch to EMS - A to panel box - B to inverter - sub panel.
Genny has priority.

Panel box, "A" circuit is always receiving power from either shore or genny when available
Sub panel, “B” circuit is always receiving power from either shore or genny also.
But - when no outside power is incoming, the inverter instantly switches over to inverter mode, supplying AC to "B" subpanel.

The original converter is disconnected (unplugged) and when on either shore or genny the inverter is charging the batteries and supplying 12 volts to the trailer's 12 volt system.

The better inverters, 2K, 2.5K and 3K by Heart, Trace, Magnum, Xantrex etc are all excellent inverters, instantly switching from source to inverter mode back to source. Odds are if you are not watching an incandescent bulb, you will not see the switchover.

A side benefit with these higher end units is that they also filter-clean the incoming power. So if you add your TVs, computers and other sensitive electronics to the inverter supply you are eliminating or at least minimizing voltage spikes, surges interference etc.

The inverters are available with remote control panels so you can turn them on and off.

Keeping this in mind, if the inverter is “on”, any time you are on outside AC your inverter is cruising along charging the batteries, AC flowing through to the sub panel.
Anytime you disconnect or are not on the genny your inverter is “inverting”, using your batteries.
Cheap inverters run anywhere from 50-70 % efficient.
The higher end units can be well above 80-90%. Now your battery bank comes into play.

Using this example you could, when prepping your trailer to go camping at home turn the inverter on. When you disconnect from the house and hook up to the truck you are now supplying the “B” circuit with your inverter, travel –camp – travel – camp – home etc and your B circuit never lost power, TVs never spiked, coffee pot clock never lost time etc.

Using the above numbers, a 3K inverter running at 90% efficiency will supply approximately 23 amps off a decent battery bank for X amount of time. Odds are though you would be way under the 23 amp draw unless you try running the air conditioner too.

My plans with an inverter, if I ever follow through, will allow me to run the AC off the inverter while traveling instead of using generator to pre-cool. I already have 2/0 battery cables directly wired to the truck’s batteries (one of the reasons I ordered the truck with dual alternators).
I will wire an additional trailer pigtail to feed the batteries from this truck supply.

So, back to your original question:
If i am correct, everything he moved to the sub panel will always be powered by the batteries and never from shore power?
No, always by Shore, then genset then inverter

If wired like that, the EMS would not come into play, right?

No, the EMS will always be protecting from either shore or genset. The inverter does not need that protection with the power it is supplying to the sub panel (assuming the inverter to panel is wired correctly)

One caveat – you cannot run the inverter before the Progressive EMS!
The EMS will sacrifice itself. Don’t know why, but it is in the EMS manual and I can tell you from experience it is correct.

Sumo

Ok, so you place the inverter in the front compartment and run an extension cord to the appliances? I have my 6V batteries in the front compartment.

I hooked my inverter to the load center for the 5th wheel. The inverter has a built in transfer switch for when I plug into shore power or the generator. Tried to post some pics, but it's not happening.

scottyb

I follow everything except; where does the shore / genny power tie into sub panel B along with power from the inverter. Looking at this drawing, I only see power coming from the inverter to the sub panel.

Sumo, how did you connect it to your load center? I'm pretty sure my inverter does not have a transfer switch.

Sumo

The dealer installed my inverter, and they just used wire nuts to attach the ac connections.
I looked up your inverter on the Xantrex web sight and you do have a built in transfer switch.

My set up is much simpler than your included attachment. The shore power comes into my inverter and than to ac distribution center. The inverter is hook up to the battery bank. When I'm plug into shore power or the generator (same power cord) the inverter switches to shore power and starts charging the battery bank. When their is no external power the inverter switches to the battery.

I'm installing a new ac distribution center this summer. The goal is to put most of the out lets on the Xantrex inverter the small stuff like, T.V. computer, cell phone charger, and the rest to shore power only, this would include the Fridge, AC, Water heater, Microwave.

scottyb

Test Run On Inverter

Unfortunately I don't have a Xantrex, but a inexpensive Whistler 2500 watt (good reviews on Amazon). This is just and entry level for now. I am a little disappointed, not sure it is the inverter's fault.

My 6V batts are supposed to be 225 AH EA so I assume that means a total of 225 AH @ 12V? I did a test run over night. I ran the TV and Dish receiver (100 watts) for 5 hours, turned them off and went to bed. The only draw should have been the minimal from the fridge while on propane. This AM, I tried to run the coffee maker and no dice. The low level alarm on the inverter came on. I did however, have enough juice to easily start the generator. After the genny started, I tried the coffee maker again from the inverter and it worked, showing that the coffe maker was using 1100 watts. On paper and only using 50% of the capacity, is seems like I should have been able to run the coffee pot for a mere 10 min. Any thoughts?

I intend to double my storage in the near future but have run out of time before we leave on Sat.

porthole

Retired
Re: Test Run On Inverter

Scott, the easy answer? You get what you pay for.

There is a reason the unit you mentioned sells for $180 on Amazon (just checked) and a Xantrex 2500 sells for $1460 (http://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-Freed...65084474&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=xantrex+2500)

From what I have found over time is that the cheaper inverters are typically 50% or less efficient. That Xantrex listed above weighs 45 pounds, and it is the same 2500 watt rating.

Inverters also have a draw when not inverting, so you should make sure it is really turned off.

Using your example above - 2500 watts at 50% efficiency leaves 1250 watts to run an 1100 watt draw. so you get a low voltage alarm because your batteries are not at 90% or better. Just guessing here, but if you want to run the inverter near maximum real output, you probably need your batteries at the max.

scottyb

Re: Test Run On Inverter

I knew I wasn't getting a high end inverter. I just needed something to get me by for 1 trip, while I decide which direction I want to go. I can use it for other things afterward. I was expecting a little better than 50% efficiency from El Cheapo. Probably would have been better off getting the 1600 and forget about the microwave or coffee maker. The manual calls for #2 wire from the battery if it is less than 3 feet long. I have read about this problem being caused by a cable too small. Could this explain why the battery still had enough juice to start the generator? It wasn't even sluggish.

Sumo

I will tell you that one of the problems I'm having is the inverter draws lots of power when in bulk charging mode. This makes it impossible to start the Air Conditioner. So I end up reducing the charging amps.

If I had to do this again I would go with a smaller inverter and leave the watt hunger stuff to the generator. I have a remote start for the generator so starting and stopping can be done in my PJ.

scottyb

That's where I am at Sumo, trying to decide at what cost point I want to be self sufficient. I installed some 1/0 cables today and I'm running the same experiment again tonight; running the TV and Dish until bedtime, then in the morning attempting to run the coffee maker. Just for grins, I plugged the microwave onto inverter power tonight and it ran it OK. It showed 1240 watts. Of course the batteries were fully charged.

scottyb

I guess it was not meant to be. The inverter seems like it runs it OK as well as the microwave I tried last night. I watched the meter and the voltage slowly dropped to a "low voltage status" after brewing about half a pot. I guess I do not have enough battery capacity to do this. My next step, after I get back from Big Bend, will be to add two more 6V batteries. I was going to do that anyway. Then I will think about going a different direction with the inverter.

porthole

Retired
Batteries (size, quality, quantity) --> cables (I use a minimum of 2/0) --> distance of battery to inverter (3' or less is ideal) __> size of inverter --> quality of inverter ($ --> $$$$)

An inexpensive 2000 will probably not work anywhere near as well as a pricey 2000

An inexpensive 3000 will probably work much better then a 1500 with the same attempted loads (think efficiency)

Cables, yes, 12/0 can be pricey, but less expensive then buying too small then upgrading.

Go for welding cable or marine grade battery cable (Anchor brand).
Both cables consist of many fine stands of wire and are fairly flexible for the size. The marine grade is also "silver tinned" for corrosion resistance.

Short runs I will use the marine grade stuff as it is readily available locally.

Longer runs I use welding cable from McMaster-Carr.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#welding-cable/=m7warg
http://www.mcmaster.com/#battery-cable/=m7wb6p