WHO WOULD YOU SEND YOUR DAUGHTER TOO?? PROBLEM: Smoking Diesel while at idle...QUESTION: Who can you RECOMMEND?

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Hey Most Favorite HL Forum.....

I need a recommendation for a TRUSTED mechanic to replace injectors in my 2003 6.6 Duramax in the Charlotte NC area........someone you would send YOUR mother/sister/child too, (the ones you like!!), that you KNOW would take good care of them!!

My 2500HD Duramax started smoking while at idle about 7 weeks ago. I have stalked the diesel forums for the "quick fix" (changed oil, added oil additive, change fuel filter, added Lucas injector cleaner to fuel for several 100 miles....been using DieselClean since I bought truck 10,000 miles ago). There is no coolant/fuel in oil.....did the paper towel test. Truck has 160K miles and is past any 7yr/200k GM warranty :( The truck runs fine, fuel economy seems unchanged and no noticeable power loss......just killing mosquitos at the stop lights!!

My automotive skills are VERY limited, ( I am proud to say I did install the RDS aux tank and my Firestone airbags......at about 2-3 x's the time it takes "normal" folks:rolleyes: )

ALL indicators are the injectors are on their way out.

I have check out several shops and price point seems to be in the $2500-3000 range.........Chevy dealer.....way MORE!!!

Soooooo, any suggestions are welcome on other ideas or recommended mechanics.

Thanks!

Lance

wonka

Having had the exact same truck, I feel your pain, I drove 180,000 trouble free miles, sold the truck and boom injectors failed two weeks later, even though I sold the truck as is, I am splitting costs with the buyer (3200 to replace all eight). If I still owned the truck, I would change them out myself, it's a long drawn out process as they are under the tappit covers, and there is a lot of stuff to remove. Diesel Place.com has a wealth of info, and I'm guessing your best bet to find a local mechanic.