2009 dodge Mega Cab

Edwin09

We have recently purchased a Bighorn 34 ft Fifth wheel trailer and are looking at a 2009 Dodge Mega Cab. With a 6ft 3in box we are wondering if this truck will maintain clearance while towing. Are there any fifth wheel owners who tow with a Dodge Mega Cab truck and do you require a sliding hitch? Thanks Ed

jimtoo

Hi Edwin09,
Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Owners Family. I am sure you will find lots of information and help on the forum and meet lots of great people.

I moved your post to this area, where I am sure you will get lots of answers.

Again, welcome to the forum and looking forward to meeting you at a rally sometime.

Jim M

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
Hi Edwin09, You won't have any problem with the mega cab. My last truck was a dodge 2500 and I had no problem with it. I had to put it in 90 deg position a couple of times and had plenty of clearence. Just get it, you will like it.
Welcome to the forum, you will have fun here and learn a lot.
Bill

Bobby A

We have recently purchased a Bighorn 34 ft Fifth wheel trailer and are looking at a 2009 Dodge Mega Cab. With a 6ft 3in box we are wondering if this truck will maintain clearance while towing. Are there any fifth wheel owners who tow with a Dodge Mega Cab truck and do you require a sliding hitch? Thanks Ed

Ed,
I have a 07 Mega cab, love the truck, I had the same concerns as you are, after doing a little research I decided to go with the sidewinder pin box couple, that assures me plenty of clearence between the cab and the trailer. Some people went with the superslide 5th wheel hitch. But with the sidewinder I could use a standard 16K Reese hitch in the back of the bed. Hope this helps, PM me if you want more info.

Mariposa

maga cab

Edwin09
hook up and go. We are using a 08 Dodge Maga Cab, towing a 3400 RL. I have a slide hitch, but the only use of it was to see if it was working. Only problem I have is the bed is not long enough to put more stuff in. DW thinks that is the best part of the short bed. Can't take it all.
Bob

CGibson

We pull a BH 3400RE with an 08 Megacab 3500 and it does great. We did get a slider hitch for "just in case" situations. Have only worried about it once and probably didn't need it then.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member

Dodge trucks are good, the Ford SD are great pullers also and their short bed trucks are 6" longer @ 6'-9". I can turn 90 degrees without a slider.

meandg

crawgator
We towed ours for the first time this past weekend with the megacab. We do not have the slider or sidewinder, we did just fine; plenty of clearance. We love our megacab and now we love our bighorn 3400rl.....

Edwin09

Thanks to all for the great information that has been very helpful in making a choice. We went with the super slide simply to have that extra if we needed it. Thanks, Ed and Karen

Codah

Hi, we are wondering if anyone has a 2011 Sundance 3100ES and uses a 2009 Dodge Mega 4x4 SXT Short box (6'-3) 6.8L diesel for towing. We're looking buying the B/W 5th wheel companion hitch. Appreciate any comments if that will work for us. thanks.

sgtbigb

I had a 2007 Dodge mega cab towing a Bighorn 3610 RE. The truck towed without a problems thur mountains of Tn or Colorado