PDA

View Full Version : insulation ?



james thomas
08-02-2009, 10:32 AM
I was wondering if the foam in 2010 heartlands was toxic or it gives off any deadly fumes? jim thomas:confused:

Niles
08-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Are you serious????

Bob&Patty
08-02-2009, 05:47 PM
James, I don't think so, but maybe thats the answer to why some of the people on the forum are so wacko. There are some that have 3 eyes now. Patty is acting a little strange also.:D Seriously, the stuff I have seen looks like regular ol' block foam to me.

beardedone
08-02-2009, 08:48 PM
No issue with it unless you eat it, like some squirrels on my last trailer.

jmgratz
08-02-2009, 09:31 PM
?????????????????????????????????????

ziggy
08-02-2009, 10:25 PM
One of the things that makes our trailer better than others is that there is no formaldehyde or other poisonous stuff in any of the glue etc. After the first couple of days we have had no odors like you get in some other brands.

Kristy

rick_h
08-02-2009, 10:33 PM
I wouldn't try smoking it if thats what you are asking :D

Cyncwby
08-03-2009, 02:06 AM
I'm really sorry but as Niles put it....."are you serious"??? I don't think any manufacturer of any brand of RV would ***knowingly*** use anything that would be toxic or put out deadly fumes. Most likely against the law.

Now if you are experiencing headaches or getting naucious then you could possibly have a clogged vent to the furnace (if you're using it during the summer??) which would cause incomplete combustion. The products of incomplete combustion are aldehydes, which you will smell and carbon monxide which you won't. Both are toxic and WILL cause carbon monoxide poisoning. If this is the case then the rig should obviously be checked pronto.

katkens
08-03-2009, 08:23 AM
I read somewhere if its over 90 degrees and you use the air conditioning on high fan the chemical make up changes in the foam. I believe it said instills cravings for beer / margaritas and no other side effects known at this time. ;)....Kenny

JohnDar
08-03-2009, 10:15 AM
I'm really sorry but as Niles put it....."are you serious"??? I don't think any manufacturer of any brand of RV would ***knowingly*** use anything that would be toxic or put out deadly fumes. Most likely against the law.

Now if you are experiencing headaches or getting naucious then you could possibly have a clogged vent to the furnace (if you're using it during the summer??) which would cause incomplete combustion. The products of incomplete combustion are aldehydes, which you will smell and carbon monxide which you won't. Both are toxic and WILL cause carbon monoxide poisoning. If this is the case then the rig should obviously be checked pronto.

You should have a CO detector in the bedroom from the factory. Make sure the batteries are good and the unit flashes its test light regularly. DO NOT blow your breath into it to test it. Carbon DIoxide can ruin the sensor.

Uncle Rog
08-03-2009, 10:57 AM
There are going to be some "new RV" fumes from all the new materials used in the manufauture of your rig. Research this first, one of the members posted earlier about absorbing some of the smells by putting some ammonia in an open container on the counter for a few days, and that would neutralize some of the offensive fumes. When our rig was new, when all sealed up, it would bring tears to your eyes from the smells. I tried the ammonia even after a few months and it did seem to make a difference, just a thought.

KENNY COCHRAN
08-03-2009, 09:17 PM
I read somewhere if its over 90 degrees and you use the air conditioning on high fan the chemical make up changes in the foam. I believe it said instills cravings for beer / margaritas and no other side effects known at this time. ;)....Kenny

GREAT ANSWER! I KNEW SOMETHING WAS CAUSING THAT. I GUESS I NEED TO ADD MORE INSULATION TO THE RV.

Pulltab
08-03-2009, 09:32 PM
I read somewhere if its over 90 degrees and you use the air conditioning on high fan the chemical make up changes in the foam. I believe it said instills cravings for beer / margaritas and no other side effects known at this time. ;)....Kenny

GREAT ANSWER! I KNEW SOMETHING WAS CAUSING THAT. I GUESS I NEED TO ADD MORE INSULATION TO THE RV. or take some OUT :p

Ray LeTourneau
08-03-2009, 09:35 PM
Jim, Rest assured there are no harmful, toxic or deadly compounds or foam used in the making of Heartlands RV's. Now that a few members have had some fun with this thread it's time to bring it to a close.