Another Valve Control Cable..

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well it looks like dlg449 (Dave) and I have a similiar problem.

Just a couple of days ago my Gray#2 valve control cable came loose from the main support bracket. I have not yet set mine back into the bracket and re crimped it. They have been fairly hard to push and pull. I did squirt some WD40 on part I can get to in the UDC and that has helped, but the #2 cable has come loose.

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem and how they went about repairing it. I don’t have a tool to crimp the cable back on and if I did I would probably do it so it will not work at all.

I am looking for suggestions and options. I hope as Dave said they don’t come loose at the valve body.

I would also like to here if someone at HL has a suggestion. I hope this is not the start of an on going problem with others..

BC

Attachments

• IMG_0416M.jpg
    IMG_0416M.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0419M.jpg
    IMG_0419M.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 171

jimtoo

Hi Bob, Several times I have repaired cables on trucks or other things with the following procedure. It really works good and very strong. Take a long bolt (cut bolt and use only threads) or piece of allthread and push original cable as far back into the handle unit as you can. Then lay the bolt threads along the cable and handle housing and secure with a couple of small fuel line clamps. I have had really good luck doing this on some trucks and tractors in the past to make a quick repair. Jim M For some reason, I cannot post a drawing I made.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Jim
Thanks for the idea. I will give it a try. I just might do that with the other two before they give way.

One thing I would like to know, is the cable permanently mounted to the valve or can it be removed from the valve and replaced with just a new cable. I would not to have to cut the PVC and replace the entire valve.

BC

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
You should be able to replace just the valve by taking out four bolts.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Thanks Jim..
I am going to get some 1/4 inch bolts and cut the head off and some worm clamps and give it a try.. That will help me until I can get the cable replaced.

Also thanks trdeal, If I get a chance when I get back to Dallas area I might see if I can replace the valve.

BC

SilverRhino

Jim;

Thanks for posting your fix and drawing.....I'm going to cut a piece of all thread and add it and a couple of small clamps to my tool box....always better to be safe than sorry.....besides.....when I'm ready for a problem it seems like they never occur....what gives?

SmokeyBare

Bob,

The cable is attached to the valve by a set screw. The flexible cable slides into the valve shaft... the set screw tightens down on the cable and locks it to the valve shaft. The Cable can be removed or replaced with out removing the Valve body as long as you can reach the set screw.

Good Luck !

Marv

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Smokey
It is good to hear about the set screw. Now I am going to hold you to it.

I will be looking into it in November when I get back to the Dallas Area.

BC

SmokeyBare

Errrr....... Bob.... the idea was to Hold the Flexable Cable to the Valve !!

______________<<<GRIN>>>____________

ChopperBill

Great fix Jim! That happened to our cable but unfortunately our dump handles are in there own compartment and not in the docking station. Would be easier to fix if they were. Have been beating my head against the wall trying to figure out how I was going to re-crimp that cable. I had to take the some of the bottom off and undo the nut on the back side then push the assembly out into the compartment. I hold onto the cable while I push/pull the handle. Works but is not a "real" fix. Will hook up your fix and test it a few times then put every thing back the way it should be.