leak when flushing black tank

Bobby A

O.K. 6 days after returning from the factory I connected the sani flush to rinse out my black tank after draining it. I noticed a different sound not coming from inside the black tank as usual but coming from behind the shower. After flushing for a few minutes I noticed a bulge in the underbelly and I pushed on it and water was coming out. I cut a small slit in the underbelly and water started pouring out. I think I have read this happening to others but can't remember what to do. Can any of you help ?? Do I have to drop the underbelly to get at what needs to be fixed ?? I went behind the UDC and seen the blue line thats the sani flush line but it appears to go back behind a wall, can I fix this myself or does it need to go in for service ?? This is a Holiday weekend and need to know what part to get before the dealerships close for the Holiday weekend, or should I enjoy my Holiday weekend and not worry about it and take it in for service ?? I'm thinking as long as I don't use the sani flush I should not have any more leaks is this correct thinking ?? My luck has it, if this would of only happened BEFORE I went to the factory that could of been another thing on my list for them to fix. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jbeletti

Bobby,

Sounds like the check valve for the black tank flush has sprung a leak. It is located behind the shower access port in your unit. Don't let it interupt your weekend plans. Just don't use the black tank flush this weekend. Use lots of water when flushing the toilet. In fact, run many full bowls of water down the toilet before dumping the black tank (or run a hose down it to fill the tank).

Contact Customer Service and explain what is happening. They will likely send you a replacement valve if you want to replace it yourself. It can be done at the shower access port.

Sorry Bobby :(

Bobby A

Bobby,

Sounds like the check valve for the black tank flush has sprung a leak. It is located behind the shower access port in your unit. Don't let it interupt your weekend plans. Just don't use the black tank flush this weekend. Use lots of water when flushing the toilet. In fact, run many full bowls of water down the toilet before dumping the black tank (or run a hose down it to fill the tank).

Contact Customer Service and explain what is happening. They will likely send you a replacement valve if you want to replace it yourself. It can be done at the shower access port.

Sorry Bobby :(

Jim,
If your talking about the black square like thing thats on top of one of the lines behind the round cover thats in the shower ?? I don't think its that because I just opened up the round cover and its dry back there, don't feel any water what so ever. Please advise. Thank you

irvin56

sounds like line has came off tank

fitting, The line the goes from valve to tank inself. And water is then running into underbelly.

Sounds like UUUMMMHHH dropping under belly to fix fitting.

Just use hose into toilet and enjoy your weekend.
Take it in when you have down time(work) and no plans for camping

Bobby A

fitting, The line the goes from valve to tank inself. And water is then running into underbelly.

Sounds like UUUMMMHHH dropping under belly to fix fitting.

Just use hose into toilet and enjoy your weekend.
Take it in when you have down time(work) and no plans for camping

I think your right irvin56, because if it was the check valve Jim is talking about I would have water in the basement, right ?? The check value would be a much easier fix though, but maybe a little more water cleanup/ and or damage

jbeletti

Bobby,

Yes, that black thing is what I am talking about - there behind the white plastic round ring in the shower underneath the shower controls.

I would not yet discount this as your leaker as when you inspected it, there was no water pressure connected to it - therefore nothing to leak. Consider testing as follows:

1. Connect water hose to black tank flush
2. Unscrew shower access port
3. Locate check valve
4. Hand tighten the connectors that connect to the check valve (2 of them)
5. While you are holding the valve, have someone else turn the water on for the black tank flush
6. Have them listen for you and yell if it leaks and they need to quick shut it off

If it still leaks, then the unit itself is somehow broken. There are 2 ways to deal with it.

1. Replace it
2. Eliminate it

We have to install them per RVIA code. You as the product owner do not. Some people eliminate theirs. The easiest way to do it is in the underbelly where you can find the 2 lines (in and out) and splice them together.

In the access port area, with both lines running parallel to one another, it can be hard to join them together, if you elect to go the route of eliminating the valve.

If you do eliminate the valve, which Heartland cannot recommend, install a screw on check valve at the black tank flush connector in the UDC. I have installed one on mine as I did not care for the water running back out of it when I disconnect the water hose from it. It's all that water in the line back down from the high mounted valve behind the shower port.

Good luck.

Jim

Attachments

• black_tank_flush_check_valve_1.jpg
    black_tank_flush_check_valve_1.jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 82
  • black_tank_flush_check_valve_2.jpg
    black_tank_flush_check_valve_2.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 78
  • black_tank_flush_check_valve_3.jpg
    black_tank_flush_check_valve_3.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 74

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Mine was installed backwards and never allowed water to pass through. Luckily I didn't have a leak. The dealer was new to Heartland and didn't know why the hose was going up in the wall between the bath and kitchen, so he just cut the lines and spliced them. Never had a problem since. I leave a hose connected to the flush line whenever we are set up, in a park, so only have a problem with the water draining out when we move.
Fred

ChopperBill

its nice to see they have made it easy to get to. Dont know where mine is but (knocking on wood) it has been working. When we first got our trailer I was looking behind the docking station just to get familiar with things and found a hose with a fitting just stuck up there not attached to anything. It was the black flush hose! Glad I found it before I used it! Oh, and the dealer was behind there several times working on the TV cables and never found it!

vangoes

its nice to see they have made it easy to get to. Dont know where mine is but (knocking on wood) it has been working. When we first got our trailer I was looking behind the docking station just to get familiar with things and found a hose with a fitting just stuck up there not attached to anything. It was the black flush hose! Glad I found it before I used it! Oh, and the dealer was behind there several times working on the TV cables and never found it!

FYI,
On the 3055 the valve is in the wall behind the entry closet and as far as I can see, the only way to get to it is by taking out the back panel inside the closet. I just keep my fingers crossed I won't have to!

Jimmyt5

I fixed mine by taking the fire extinguisher out and cutting the line and bypassing the valve...

The sound of the water flow on my back wash changed and I was afraid that it may have broken. I check the routing of the piping, on my 3670 it goes up in the wall near the toilet. To me this is a vacuum break and is why it is installed in a high place. If you bypass this valve it would be possible to cause the water in the black tank to siphoned back out if the supply hose when left connected at the backwash connection and disconnected at the water supply. If the hose is located lower than the tank and the water in the black tank is above the point of the tank attachment it will siphon out.
You should check with the factory on this for clarification and purpose of this valve.

Jack Wittmann

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
FYI,
On the 3055 the valve is in the wall behind the entry closet and as far as I can see, the only way to get to it is by taking out the back panel inside the closet. I just keep my fingers crossed I won't have to!

Its not located behind the closet back panel, its on the right side between outside wall and closet. I just removed enough inside closet trim to get the right side paneling off its right there.....Kenny

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
On the 08 3670, it is located in the wall by the toilet. Mine broke and flooded the storage area along with my converter. I replaced the vaccum break with a check valve and everything is good now.

Bobby A

Ok gang this is what I come up with, 1st-after having my wife help me out I connected water to the santi-flush line, I had her outside manning the water and I stood inside where the check valve was in the access panel in the shower. When I had her turn the water on I noticed the check valve was not leaking but was making a loud spraying like noise. When I would tap on the check valve and kind of shake it a little bit the noise would quit. Then I would have the wife shut the water off and I would repeat the process each time with the same results. So my diagnois was check valve is not bad but is going bad.

2nd- I dropped the underbelly to find out where the leak was coming from having the wife turn the santi-flush on and no leaks. Come to find out it was not the black water tank or santi-flush system after all I have a leak in the Gray 1 (shower/sink in bathroom) tank. I confirmed this two times by draining and refilling the tank and each time I had leaks, my final determination was I had the wife get some food coloring and I put food coloring down the bathroom sink and filled the gray 1 tank up and put white paper towels on the ground outside where it was leaking and sure enough there was red food coloring on the paper towel. It looks like where the leak is is on or next to a cross member that supports the tank on the off door side. Couldn't really see the actual crack/hole because of that cross member but I know it is coming from that area. Not sure if this was like it from day 1 or by traveling it was rubbing on the cross member and developed a crack/hole. Talk to a few people at Heartland and they are going to take care of it for me. Heartland is a good company. So, for those of you that use the santi-flush line, keep an eye/ear on what a normal sound sounds like when you are using the santi-flush system. So that way if it developes an abnormal sound you know that something is wrong.

Lastly keep an eye on your underbelly for any buldges that would indicate water pooling in your underbelly. Sorry for the long post, just wanted everyone to keep an eye on their coaches.