Just Venting

HappyKayakers

We've been getting some black tank smell in the rig lately so I'm checking all possible sources for problem. Already checked in basement, no water leaking from black tank pipes or flush system. No water noted around base of toilet. Thought I'd check rooftop vents next to see if one was clogged and that's where the confusion started. There are 3 identical vents up there (2 on off door side and 1 on door side). There's another just forward of the shower skylight and I have no idea where it goes. Also not real sure about which of the other vents go to which tank but they're all clear. Can anyone tell me what this vent is for?

Attachments

• P1010029.JPG
    P1010029.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 232

2010augusta

On our Augusta: one vent is for the sink drain in to grey tank #2, One vent for the bath room sink/shower and grey tank #1, one vent for the toilet and the black tank, On vent on the very front of the roof for the washing machine drain.

the item your arrow is pointing to does not appear to be a vent for a tank, not sure what it is. What is just forward of the skylight inside the trailer?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Joe, I believe that the vent for the toilet is in the wall behind the toilet. Which should be the wall behind the entry closet. Are you having some strong winds at this time? Bob:D

jbeletti

Wonder if it's an attic vent?

Here's the layout of the unit.

2011_BH_3600RL-Lit.jpg

//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=5813&d=1260567067

HappyKayakers

Joe, I believe that the vent for the toilet is in the wall behind the toilet. Which should be the wall behind the entry closet. Are you having some strong winds at this time? Bob:D

No vent in that wall cavity, just the water lines for the flush system. The only vent on that side of the rig is forward of the commode. Judging by the piping underneath, it's for gray 1. At least it shares piping with the washer prep.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Joe, looks like your W/D is right next to the stool room. I know there is a vent pipe in the wall for our W/D. I guess you need to go on the roof and just sniff it out:eek:. If you get my meaning. Bob:D

SmokeyBare

I believe the larger vent cap is for the Attic Vent. Larger to allow a fair amount of heated air to escape. Should it ever need replaced... I've seen some replacement caps made of galvanized metal. Seen them at a RV parts store in Elkhart Indiana.

Marv

talley

We've been getting some black tank smell in the rig lately so I'm checking all possible sources for problem. Already checked in basement, no water leaking from black tank pipes or flush system. No water noted around base of toilet. Thought I'd check rooftop vents next to see if one was clogged and that's where the confusion started. There are 3 identical vents up there (2 on off door side and 1 on door side). There's another just forward of the shower skylight and I have no idea where it goes. Also not real sure about which of the other vents go to which tank but they're all clear. Can anyone tell me what this vent is for?

That IS an attic vent... just replaced the cover last month from Heartland Customer Service.

HappyKayakers

Thanks for the confirmations on the attic vent. Maybe it's time I actually started using some chemicals in the tank. I always thought my flushes alone would keep it clean.

rick_debbie_gallant

no attic vent

That IS an attic vent... just replaced the cover last month from Heartland Customer Service.

I checked my roof today and there does not seem to be any attic vent or vents up there:confused:. The only thing up there are the stink pipes for the sink, shower, head and w/d. Should there be an attic vent up there:confused::confused:?

Rickhansen

Under the kitchen and bathroom sinks there are vacuum breaker check valves. These are meant to vent air into the plumbing and tanks from inside, but not vice-versa. I'm no plumber, and can't quite figure why these are needed since all 3 wastewater systems are vented through the roof.
I had one under the kitchen sink that was not sealing closed properly, and I'm telling you that the smell from a black water tank would have been far more tolerable. I'm told that these are cheaply replaceable. As a diagnostic, I sealed mine up with silicone caulk, and Shazam, the smell was gone. (It has not been replaced for several months, with no noticeable ill effects) Not to hi-jack the thread, but if anyone knows the function or requiremnt of these devices or where they can be purchased, a follow-up post would be appreciated.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Rickhansen, those valves are called Studor Air Admittance Valves. Their function is to allow air into the drain pipe so that you do not get the "glug glug" noise as the water is going down the drain. They can be purchased on ebay or at a home improvement center.

Peace
Dave

nscaler2

Studor Valves

Yes! I replaced the cheap ones that came from the factory with some better ones that are a more positive open and close that I got at ACE hardware. The smell that the OP might be experiencing could be from leaving the gray tank dump valves open. I know some people say that this would not cause a stink, but from personal experience, I have had campground sewer gas back up through the Studor valve under the lavatory sink when the gray tanks were open. I have since learned to put a P trapin the slinky hose by spacing my sewer line supports apart about a foot and letting the hose sag. This creates an outside p trap and has solved the stinky gas when leaving the gray tanks open.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Yes! I replaced the cheap ones that came from the factory with some better ones that are a more positive open and close that I got at ACE hardware. The smell that the OP might be experiencing could be from leaving the gray tank dump valves open. I know some people say that this would not cause a stink, but from personal experience, I have had campground sewer gas back up through the Studor valve under the lavatory sink when the gray tanks were open. I have since learned to put a P trapin the slinky hose by spacing my sewer line supports apart about a foot and letting the hose sag. This creates an outside p trap and has solved the stinky gas when leaving the gray tanks open.

SEE!!! This is exactly what I was talking about in an earlier post today on the bendfit of this forum. What an excellent idea nscaler2. This type of post is why I was so quick to join HOC. I'm not ed-u-ma-cated enough to figure this stuff out on my own, but thanks to all you smarties on the forum, I've got a ton of ideas in my arsenal to keep me going for years.

You all are the greatest!! Now I know what to do if the gray water drains are left open to ensure I don't get the sewer smell. Thanks Nscaler2!!

Keith

jbeletti

I checked my roof today and there does not seem to be any attic vent or vents up there:confused:. The only thing up there are the stink pipes for the sink, shower, head and w/d. Should there be an attic vent up there:confused::confused:?

Rick,

As you have a 2010 model year Bighorn, you have the laminated room system. As such, there is no attic "space" to vent. The cross-section of your roof is block foam, whereas in many of our other brands, and in 2009 model year and earlier in most brands, a true attic exists/existed where there are/were open roof trusses and fiberglass insulation.

Hope this explains it for you. No worries :)

Jim

Jimmyt5

Had the smell and chased it for a week, found the the hand nuts on the sink drains were just a little lose from vibration ,tighten and no smell.......:D

rick_debbie_gallant

Rick,

As you have a 2010 model year Bighorn, you have the laminated room system. As such, there is no attic "space" to vent. The cross-section of your roof is block foam, whereas in many of our other brands, and in 2009 model year and earlier in most brands, a true attic exists/existed where there are/were open roof trusses and fiberglass insulation.

Hope this explains it for you. No worries :)

Jim

Thanks Jim, you are the best. I just dont know what we all would do without your valuable help and information.

Later

Rick