Reese Hitches

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Well, I had finally thought my decision to buy a Reese Signature Series 16K hitch was good and done with. Then someone throws at me don't buy the 16K, get the 18K. :eek: What ? Don't need 18K capacity , I respond, then he goes on to explain the 18K Reese has a 4 way pivot and the 16K doesn't . Since I have never hooked up a 5th wheel , thought I would say please and ask for help.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Katkens
The side to side pivot is the difference. One has it the other does not. If you are never on non level ground (flat land), then the side to side pivot is not needed. However, I don't know of many places like that in the mountain areas. If the tow vehicle is not level side to side with the coach then hitching and unhitching will be very hard without the pivot option. I would say you should go with the 4 way pivot.

katkens

Thanks for the reply, just seems, after studying up on what I need to move from a TT to a 5th wheel it all kind of closes in sometimes. I think I'll go with the 4 way, not alot of money difference anyway. If it makes it easier to hook up I need it.;) With the 18K hitch sitting back there I can tell everyone I have really heavy trailer.:)

sislv

Tom & Sharol
Reese 16K Hitch

We have the Reese 16K hitch which tilts side to side. Just had a initial 11 day trip with our Bighorn 3055RL to Upper Michigan and the hitch worked great. At two State Parks our sites had very uneven ground side to side AND front to back. We didn't have any problem unhooking nor hooking up.

With our 2006 GMC 2500HD TV we have about 9" clearance over the sides of the box and haven't come close to touching the rails either.

phranc

Katkins . Assuming the choice is the 'signature series' Like JP Morgan has ,then yes the 18K with the side to side tilt is a good choice.I've had a couple of reese/drawtite hitches and I like my present 18K Signature Series the best.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
I have the valley (husky) slider hitch. Four way pivot. However what I like the most is the positive locking, with the single keeper that slides around the pin. With one look you can see the hitch is latched. Also there is a indicator in the front that shows the pin is in the latched position. The slides are very smooth operation also. I painted the locking keeper white so it is real easy to see if the keeper is seated correctly before I raise the landing gear. Safety First!

katkens

Thanks to everyone, looks like a new 18K Reese Signature Series ,will be on its way soon.