Pin box Swap

I would like some advice, criticism, guidance or whatever.
I'm seriously considering ordering a 2018 Big Country 3560SS at the rally.
I was thinking of getting the Rally Special MORryde Pin Box instead of ordering it from the factory to save a few dollars, $749 vs $599 & free installation.
Going to have Disc Brakes & possibly I.S. installed at MORryde anyway.
On my present 2011 Big Country 3450TS I have the Trailair TriGlide Pin Box which I really like.
The problem is the MORryde Pin Box does not do the same things the TriGlide does as far as I know.
I don't believe the Reese 5th AirBorne does either.
I don't believe Lippert Trailair offers anything like the TriGlide anymore.
The thought crossed my mind to have my TriGlide removed from my present coach and installed on the new coach.
The problem being, a 6 year old pin box on a new coach, which I question myself for even thinking this.
Which Pin Box, if any, operates the same as the TriGlide.
I presently have the Reese Signature Series 18,000# hitch which I'm not changing (money).
I know there is a lot of experience out there, so let loose with some of it, please.
Open to any & all ideas or comments.
If you were in my sandals, what would you do?
Thanks

Hockster

pegmikef

FTIW, I had never towed a fifth wheel until I ordered by BH four years ago. My dealer advised me to go with the Moryde Pin Box so I added it to my order. In almost four years and right at 38,000 miles, I have never been sorry and would not do without it. No chucking, and smooth ride. I have the Reese Elite Hitch in a factory prepped F350. If I get another fiver, it will have the Moryde pin box.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Gary, Lippert does have a pin box similar to the Tri-Glide. It is called the Flex-Air.
Here is a link to their rally flyer. [LINK].

Peace
Dave

davebennington

We had a Tri-glide on our old coach, loved it!! Our new unit has the Mor/Ryde, not really happy with the ride it is rough, the trailer bounces so much the pillows fly off the sofa, things the cupboards are all jumbled up. I am going to try the new Lipport product just to see what happens.

dave

Dave, at a quick glance, the Flex-Air doesn't look like what it really is in that brochure.
I missed the pivot point on the pin base.
I went online and got a real good look at the construction & I agree, looks like what I want.
I really like my Tri-Glide, except for greasing.
One more stop to make after the coach is built.
MORryde, now Lippert.
More ideas appreciated.
Thanks all.
Hockster

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Dave, at a quick glance, the Flex-Air doesn't look like what it really is in that brochure.
I missed the pivot point on the pin base.
I went online and got a real good look at the construction & I agree, looks like what I want.
I really like my Tri-Glide, except for greasing.
One more stop to make after the coach is built.
MORryde, now Lippert.
More ideas appreciated.
Thanks all.
Hockster

Are you going to be at Goshen? Site 460. Stop by. FlexAir display. Lol. Great upgrade.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I am not sure why you are concerned about moving the kingpin from one rig to another, unless you honestly thing it's failing?

We moved our 6-year-old 5th Airborne over to our new rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigGuy82

Gary, Lippert does have a pin box similar to the Tri-Glide. It is called the Flex-Air.
Here is a link to their rally flyer. [LINK].

Peace
Dave

I've got a Flex-Air on my Bighorn. I don't know if there's anything better, but I've got to say I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better ride, especially when you combine that with Air Lifts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No Erika (TravelTiger) I have no problems with my Tri-Glide, it's well maintained, but over time, technology changes and things improve and with a new coach I would like to have equipment that has improved on what I already own, but if there was nothing better, I would swap out my Tri-Glide if compatible.
What I had seen didn't look like an improvement until I went online and took a real close look at the Flex-Air after Dave (Cookie) mentioned it.
I trust his opinion.
Dick (BigGuy82) thanks for the endorsement on the Flex-Air that's the sort of information I like to hear.
Welcome Home.

Hockster

Gary521

From what it appears, the Flex Air and the Tri Glide do about the same thing. I would save my money and have the old pin box put on the new trailer.

MCTalley

Also note that if you want a stock pinbox to put on your current trailer while you wait for the new one, there will most likely be at least one person that upgrades their pinbox at the rally and needs a place to get rid of their old pinbox. I know we did back in 2015.

richheck

Seasoned Member
I would like some advice, criticism, guidance or whatever.
I'm seriously considering ordering a 2018 Big Country 3560SS at the rally.
I was thinking of getting the Rally Special MORryde Pin Box instead of ordering it from the factory to save a few dollars, $749 vs $599 & free installation.
Going to have Disc Brakes & possibly I.S. installed at MORryde anyway.
On my present 2011 Big Country 3450TS I have the Trailair TriGlide Pin Box which I really like.
The problem is the MORryde Pin Box does not do the same things the TriGlide does as far as I know.
I don't believe the Reese 5th AirBorne does either.
I don't believe Lippert Trailair offers anything like the TriGlide anymore.
The thought crossed my mind to have my TriGlide removed from my present coach and installed on the new coach.
The problem being, a 6 year old pin box on a new coach, which I question myself for even thinking this.
Which Pin Box, if any, operates the same as the TriGlide.
I presently have the Reese Signature Series 18,000# hitch which I'm not changing (money).
I know there is a lot of experience out there, so let loose with some of it, please.
Open to any & all ideas or comments.
If you were in my sandals, what would you do?
Thanks

Hockster

I know what your thinking I ordered my 2017 LM 365 with the Morryde pin box to eliminate as much shock to the frame while in transit to my home in California from the factory in Indiana. I had a FlexAir waiting here at home for the coach when it arrived. I had the FlexlAir on my previous coach and would not be without, just watching the up and down movements in my rear view mirror while traveling gives me the piece of mind knowing how much shock is being eliminated by the hitch. Personally I wouldn't hesitate replacing your existing hitch with the FlexAir again, I couple it to a B&W Companion that has bi-axle head movement and the FlexAir has fore/aft plate movement in addition to the up and down shock asorbment ability.

sengli

Spoke with a tech at curt manufacturing the other day about a slight issue I was having, with my 20K fiver hitch. Got on the subject of aftermarket pin boxes and they strictly do not recommend any of them. He said they just arent necessary with many of the newer hitch designs, which absorb the road shock thru bushings and various rubber components. I have a morryde. Really not sure in the long run whether it really made all that much difference or not.

BigGuy82

Spoke with a tech at curt manufacturing the other day about a slight issue I was having, with my 20K fiver hitch. Got on the subject of aftermarket pin boxes and they strictly do not recommend any of them. He said they just arent necessary with many of the newer hitch designs, which absorb the road shock thru bushings and various rubber components. I have a morryde. Really not sure in the long run whether it really made all that much difference or not.

There is not a hitch on the planet that will cushion the coach the way an advanced pinbox does - I prefer the Flex Air. Of course that's my considered opinion.

I file comments like the one that tech made as "twaddle" (or "marketing lingo" - same thing) but of course, they can claim whatever they wish. Perhaps they have a "magic hitch" that will absorb and control road shock the way the air bag and shock absorber does in my Flex Air. Somehow, I just don't think you can accomplish the same thing with "bushings and various rubber components".

danemayer

There is not a hitch on the planet that will cushion the coach the way an advanced pinbox does - I prefer the Flex Air. Of course that's my considered opinion.

I file comments like the one that tech made as "twaddle" (or "marketing lingo" - same thing) but of course, they can claim whatever they wish. Perhaps they have a "magic hitch" that will absorb and control road shock the way the air bag and shock absorber does in my Flex Air. Somehow, I just don't think you can accomplish the same thing with "bushings and various rubber components".

And is your opinion the same if the hitch has air bags and shock absorbers?

BigGuy82

Outside of the fact that it looks hugely heavy and needs a hoist to install it, it looks like it would do the same as an Flex Air with one exception - it doesn't have a shock absorber to dampen the return motion of the pin, so yes, I'll stick with my opinion. End of the day though, I'm sure they both provide an excellent ride.

That said, there wasn't much on their website that provided any hard data. I tried to download the white paper, which I'd like to read as that would probably show a comparison of this unit to the Air Flex, but the website wouldn't let me. If you happen to have that, I'd like to read it. Also would be interesting to hear from someone who has used both.

And, regardless of how this hitch works, it's not accomplishing it with "bushings and various rubber components" as indicated by the Curt tech.

plshilo

Guys, we have the model you are going order. It has a MORryde pin box, we love the way it pulls and have No Problems with things moving, or any other problems. We have a Reese 20k hitch in a F350 SRW long bed it has been the Best Combo we ever pulled. We will be in Goshen site 447, stop by and take a look and talk about both the pin box and the 3560SS..