Modify Reese Goose Box?

jeff4048

I have the Reese Goose Box 2nd Gen. It hits the rails of my hard tonneau cover (truck covers usa) when turning more than 80 degrees. Have any of you trimmed or modified the flange to avoid hitting tonneau side rails? i want to cut away just enough of the hitch to get the clearance i need to make sharper turns. Now i realize most of you will tell me not to modify the hitch, i get it, but the 2nd gen really does hang a bit low the new flange set up drops it down more than gen 1 did. I may look at trying to raise it up and then buying a taller ball, but I've had it 2 years and dont really mind cutting it a bit. wondered if any of you have done this modification? let me know your thoughts... thanks.

centerline

Ive done it to mine, and I do it quite often for other people.... there is no need for all the excess metal that interferes with the turning radius of the pinbox....

i have shortened pin boxes, and lengthened them... as well as gooseneck posts....

I would NOT recommend that just anyone should try it, but with good cutting/fitting/welding skills, it can save you a lot of money while getting exactly what you want.....

jeff4048

Ive done it to mine, and I do it quite often for other people.... there is no need for all the excess metal that interferes with the turning radius of the pinbox....

i have shortened pin boxes, and lengthened them... as well as gooseneck posts....

I would NOT recommend that just anyone should try it, but with good cutting/fitting/welding skills, it can save you a lot of money while getting exactly what you want.....
thanks for the input. i will give it a go. love the hitch, thanks!

rhodies1

Not something that I would recommend doing but it’s your call. Just temember. If you get in an accident and it fails because you modified the hitch. Your insurance company will most likely refuse to pay your claim. Hitches are made to spec and tested for ruggedness and strength. You are completely changing the hitch. My comment on it hitting your tonneau cover….if your jacked around that hard to get into a spot… stop and move forward and straighten out.