LAMP OUT message from truck - nice!

jbeletti

Small thing but this week, on my dash under the odometer readout, a warning came on - LAMP OUT.

Within a minute, I found the driver-side rear had a filament failure in a combo lamp. Seems sort of a short period to already have a failure (built end of Jan - 2005). But that back end does get bounced around a bit when not towing.

Anyway, thought it was a nice little touch in the 2005 RAM to have a LAMP OUT warning. Maybe all newer vehicles have this now.

Jim

Attachments

• DSC01592.JPG
    DSC01592.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 10
Jim,

The newer Rams do have this feature called a self-diagnosing computerized lighting system. If you ever put a brite box on your truck, you will notice that it costs more for the 03 to 06 trucks due to the computerized lighting system it actually takes two brite boxes.

Thanks,
Wes

Mels Musty Music

Jim

My LAMP OUT light has been on since returning from the Yukon in June. I have searched and searched and can't find a bulb that isn't working.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Hank

jbeletti

Hi Hank,

I can't say for sure, but it's my guess that the LAMP OUT is not an indicator for all bulbs for the truck but probably only the main ones (head lights, tail lights and brake lights).

The light out on mine was the driver's side brake light. This is a 2 filament bulb so when you turn the lights on, the bulb does light. This is because the tail light filament was good. It was not until a friend viewed the lights while I was braking that I was able to determine what bulb to change.

Good luck!

Jim

Mels Musty Music

Hi Jim - Another Thank You is in order! Passenger side brake light filament was causing my problem. I Thought I had checked it before but must not have had my glasses on.

I also think you are correct in your assumption that the Lamp Out indicater moniters the main lights only. Pretty sure I read that someplace.

Thanks again,
Hank