water heater floods basement, AGAIN, not the check valve...

2010augusta

So tonight I went to grab a screwdriver from the basement, and we had A LOT of water in the basement:mad:, unloaded everything, dried it out and then started look for the source. UDC was dry, all the lines were dry too, noticed the water heater support was wet, but the inlet and outlets were completely dry, SOOOO I think the tank has a pin hole. Will call suburban in the morning and have already call the mobile service guy and left a message.

Just when I thought we were FINALLY through with all the water leaks in the basement. This is getting VERY old.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
A 2010 Landmark with a leaking water heater tank? What's next? Are you filtering your water before it gets into your system or using point of use filters in the sinks?

2010augusta

just a filter for the ice maker/water dispenser on the fridge, but I check the anode rod every couple months and use a wand to rinse out the tank. I have not noticed any abnormal deterioration of the rod or much sediment coming out of the heater.

JohnDar

Fortunately, the tank has a 3 year warranty on it. If your anode rod is still in good shape and there's no sediment, it doesn't sound like corrosives in the water.

2010augusta

well I check again this morning and the basement flooded AGAIN overnight, even with the water heater bypassed and drained, SO I looked over all the plumbing again to see what else could be leaking water on to the water heater base and I found a tiny mist coming from the Ice-maker supply line. Sure enough it was spraying at the side of the water heater ( on the side that is really hard to see) and soaking the platform and flooding the basement.

I am really glad that I don't have pay a mobile service guy to replace a water heater, and be with out hot water for a week or so, but still aggravated that another water line has failed for no particular reason.

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
Had the same thing happen 3 different times. Twice in the basement storage area and once under the stove. Got tired of repairing that ice maker line, so i just took the ice maker out and capped the cut off for the line. needed the freezer space anyway and most campgrounds dont have good water for making good ice anyway.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Hey Alan,
Glad you found your leak but sorry that it happened at all. I too had a leak with my ice maker supply line but mine was on the outside as it ran along the frame. Kept getting a wet spot on the gravel and could not figure out why until I started to feel around and got hit by the mist. The good thing for you is you are very capable and will have it fixed quickly I am sure.

Good luck,
Mark

2010augusta

Well it is fixed, for now, cut out 1/2" of tube and inserted a union. No signs of mechanical, or physical damage to the tube, so I don't know why it cracked and failed, may be too close to the furnace.

JohnDar

Whew! Thought I would have to add that to the list of things to keep an eye on. Fortunately, I don't have an ice maker. We use ice trays and dump them into a small plastic bowl kept in the freezer. Gotta have 'em for the booze to clink in.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ditto on the ice maker line. Ours was leaking just prior to entering the solenoid. I couldn't see it but finally felt it as you did. Repaired and secured about 2 years ago and no problems since. Fortunately ours is not in a slide out so no worries about that but I often wonder about replacing it with copper.

Northern Virginia
Last summer my ice maker line sprang a leak inside the wire loom under the kitchen slide-out for no particular reason. I coupled it back together with a brass compression fitting. Fortunately for me it just dripped on the ground.

ChopperBill

I have always had an uneasy feeling when it came to ice maker plumbing. I have had a couple of leaks behind the stick house fridge when the plastic tubing got brittle. The shut off for it is in out crawl space and not easy to get to. Thinking about hard plumbing it to the back of the fridge for easy access. If I have any problems with the Dometic ice maker plumbing it is easy to get to the shut off. It will stay shut off. Dont need no water problems.