First time AC use: Not too great

BruteForce

So last weekend, the temperatures ranged upwards of 85F. In Utah, it's dry heat -- so not too bad.

I took off to do some volunteer USFS trail work for the day, was connected to 50amp shore-power and fired-up the AC.

In the morning, it was only 60F, but by the time I left, the AC had kicked in once (I had the thermostat set for around 72F). I figured it would be somewhat cool inside by the time I got back around 5pm.

By 5pm, the outside ambient air temp. was close to 90F, but inside the RV, it was reporting as 100F+. The AC was running, but barely any air was coming out of the roof vents and the temperature of that air was not cold.

To cool down the interior, I had to drop the TH ramp, open every window and open both doors. Took about an hour to get the inside at least as cool as the outside air.

Any suggestions on what to look for before I (AGAIN!) take this rig in for service?

2010augusta

take all the vents off and look inside the ducts with a mirror to make sure all the ducts are open and not blocked. Then remover the plastic grill and filter on the A/C unit and make sure the unit is "baffeled" so the cold output air is not being recycled into the intake.

rjr6150

When you say very little air that leads me to believe either coil frozen over due to low on freon or lack of air moving over the coil. Try turning the ac off and just run the fan if frozen over this will melt the ice on your coils. Then turn the unit back on should be able to hear the compressor kick in. PM if I can assit further.

RollingHome

James, check the forum threads on this... As you must know by now most of the posters really are pro HL... BUT, the AC is yet one more weak area... I found out I had a baffle missing... the return was not seperated from the supply and this really negated my AC. On my last trip at 95 F, my AC would not keep up and I believe I need a 2nd Ac in the BR. In reading this forum, I believe there are duct problems. One poster came up with what is known as a "tent". Simply put he made a double ramp which directs the air more efficiently to the ducts. In reality, there are some really smart people on this forum and I really do believe our "collective" mind will out surpass any "one" smarty pants ! So keep asking your question and expect us "ALL" to solve it. I think you have the same problem I do and "WE" will find a solution soon. Al ya have to do is ASK ! Tom

RoadJunkie

Most units also have the "quick cool" option that uses the vent directly below the air conditioner. Sliding a small tab opens the vent. Of course this won't move much air into the bed area.

I can imagine your disappointment upon expecting a cool haven and discovering a warmer-than-warm environment. I too was surprised with the performance of the air conditioning system. I did all the baffle checks, tried the "tent in a vent" modification and still ended with similar performance. Others, however, swear by the modification. Good luck.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
One other thing is never run your AC fan on low or as rj6150 said, I might be frozen. Always run it on high.
Just another thought.

Peace
Dave

2010augusta

As a point of reference, We use the "chill grille" or "quick cool vent" and that will easily keep the main part of the trailer in the mid 70's while it is around 105 outside. I added a similar quick vent to our bed room A/C and that will keep the bed room at 68* all day long since we work working the night shift that summer. we have NO tent in the vent, and rarely use any of the duct system. We had NO problem keeping the trailer cool for the 2 months that we were in Uvalde TX and every day it was between 103* and 107*.

There are other factors at play too, we have mirrored dual pane windows, put blackout insulation panels in all the bedroom windows, kept all blinds pulled down, and ran the ceiling fan to circulate the cool air.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It's also been said that extended running of the A/C with the fan on low may contribute to icing of the coils, et.al. It does. And when the last bit of the glacier forms, the output of the A/C will change big time.

navyAZ1

Sounds like the AC has frozen up, I had the same problem. Here's what to check remove the cover inside the coach on the AC look up towards the fins your auto defrost sensor may have come loose. Ours had slipped off and was just hanging there so it couldn't do it's job. What you will look for is a round metal disc about the size of a silver dollar and about a 1/4" thick with one wire attached, it has a small clip on it that fits inbetween the fins and the clip will snap over one of the tubes that run thru the fins. I was told that this happens a lot that the sensor is not clipped on good at the factory and when we start going down the road they vibrate off and just hang there. Good luck with you problem.

Ron

BruteForce

Thanks for all the replies. We have a big trip planned July 8th and we're sure the AC isn't going to be functional for us. No local dealer can get us an appointment in time to review the issue. I phoned Heartland yesterday and the person I spoke with indicated that my condenser is probably at fault.

Did this little test yesterday (with outside temps in the low 90's):

- Turned on the generator (since my shore power at home is only 15amp)
- Turned on the AC with FAN=HIGH, CABIN VENT=OPEN (so no air comes out of the ducts in the various rooms)
- Brought in a little portable fan and placed it below the VENT so it would blow air toward the main door and bedroom

Let it sit like that for 3 hours. After three hours, came back into the 5th wheel and saw that inside temp. was 85F, while outside temp was still 90F. Plenty of air coming out of the VENT, but not real cold. I could hear the compressor running. Cycled power on the AC (turned off, waited a minute, turned back on) and could hear it lugging the generator.

Closed the VENT so air would come out all individual air delectors. Plenty of air flow, but temp was about the same as outside ambient.

Got on the roof, inspected the AC. Nothing frozen, fan functioning and compressor working.

So, fan is working fine, compressor is kicking in, but I'm not getting cold air.

Options for self repair?

I own a 2008 RL3500 Fifth wheel.
It came from the Factory with an DuoTherm Central AC.
It wouldnt blow at all out of the air ducts, after talking to Bryan Booker the Owner of Explorer USA in Texas, he authorized the dealer in denton to replace the Dutherm with an AC of MY choice.
I traded in a Terry Tongue Type trailer with an Carrier central unit, walk by any of the ducts in the terry and it would blow your hat off.

After the Dealer replaced the duo therm with the carrier , it was day light and dark difference between them.
The AC actually worked and have major airflow from all ducts.

The dealer even tried using the Dam approach to the old ac but to no avail.

The DuoTherms dont have a big enough Fan motor to keep up.

I also later Installed a Manual Carrier upstairs and can freeze ice cubes during the day in the Bathroom Sink lol.

Do what you want but the DuoTherms dont work.

Just my Two Cents worth.

rjr6150

Thanks for all the replies. We have a big trip planned July 8th and we're sure the AC isn't going to be functional for us. No local dealer can get us an appointment in time to review the issue. I phoned Heartland yesterday and the person I spoke with indicated that my condenser is probably at fault.

Did this little test yesterday (with outside temps in the low 90's):

- Turned on the generator (since my shore power at home is only 15amp)
- Turned on the AC with FAN=HIGH, CABIN VENT=OPEN (so no air comes out of the ducts in the various rooms)
- Brought in a little portable fan and placed it below the VENT so it would blow air toward the main door and bedroom

Let it sit like that for 3 hours. After three hours, came back into the 5th wheel and saw that inside temp. was 85F, while outside temp was still 90F. Plenty of air coming out of the VENT, but not real cold. I could hear the compressor running. Cycled power on the AC (turned off, waited a minute, turned back on) and could hear it lugging the generator.

Closed the VENT so air would come out all individual air delectors. Plenty of air flow, but temp was about the same as outside ambient.

Got on the roof, inspected the AC. Nothing frozen, fan functioning and compressor working.

So, fan is working fine, compressor is kicking in, but I'm not getting cold air.

Options for self repair?

James
Looking from the roof will not show you anything frozen. The coils that freeze over are on the inside these are the evaporator part of the cooling unit. The coils on the outside are the condenser and if all things are working correctly as the outside fan blow air across should be hot. Guessing you have taken the plastic cover off and checked that this fan is running and not loose on the shaft. Used to be in refrigeration businees many years ago. If you wnat email me and I'll give you my cell may be able to walk you through a few things and we can determine if low on freon or something else. Will be around all weekend

BruteForce

James
Looking from the roof will not show you anything frozen. The coils that freeze over are on the inside these are the evaporator part of the cooling unit. The coils on the outside are the condenser and if all things are working correctly as the outside fan blow air across should be hot. Guessing you have taken the plastic cover off and checked that this fan is running and not loose on the shaft. Used to be in refrigeration businees many years ago. If you wnat email me and I'll give you my cell may be able to walk you through a few things and we can determine if low on freon or something else. Will be around all weekend

Thanks for this. Just got back from a Sub-for-Santa Poker run for the Elk's Lodge (my first). I will shoot you a PM now. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Maybe you just got a bad DuoTherm unit as we have two on our Landmark and they work great. It was 102 outside yesterday and 77 inside. Not too shabby in my book.