PDA

View Full Version : replaced batteries and started blowing light bulbs



sidney dreyfus
06-19-2010, 08:42 PM
Has anyone experienced blowing their wall fixture lightbulbs after replacing your RV batteries. We have two 12 deep cycle batteries connected parallel. I just replaced them and now the small bulbs in the wall fixtures are blowing. The ceiling lights are much brighter than before and are holding up.

cookie
06-19-2010, 09:01 PM
The only thing I can think of is if you maybe hooked them up in series when changing them. I would recheck the wiring.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar
06-19-2010, 09:09 PM
Were the batteries fully charged before you installed them? If not, your converter may be struggling to put a full charge on both of them. That increase in output will show up in your 12V lights that are on until the converter senses they are charged.

lwmcguir
06-19-2010, 09:10 PM
As the other poster stated, are you now running 24 volts? Better check it quick.

newbie
06-19-2010, 09:48 PM
Here's a quick visual to make sure you got it right. This is for two 6 volts but you get the idea.9082

John

sidney dreyfus
06-19-2010, 09:52 PM
I can't believe how dumb I feel. Now I realise that I replaced the two original 6 volt baterries with two 12 volt batteries . Even the guys at Sears didn't notice that the original batteries were 6 volt each. I copied the original hookup so I was actually hooking them up in series and getting 24 volt. I forgot the original batteries I got with our BigHorn were 6 volt not 12 volt. How dumb can a person get. Also lucky that I just blew a few bulbs. Thanks for your help

sidney dreyfus
06-19-2010, 10:01 PM
Thanks Dave. Your were right.

sidney dreyfus
06-19-2010, 10:18 PM
Here's a quick visual to make sure you got it right. This is for two 6 volts but you get the idea.9082

John

Thanks for the picture John.

sidney dreyfus
06-19-2010, 10:28 PM
John,
Is there a possibility I might have damaged the converter? What's the best way to make sure it wasn't damaged when I hooked up the two 12 volt batteries in series.

newbie
06-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Don't feel too bad. We all do "dumb" things from time to time. I know I have...
You might want to pick up a box or two of fuses. Whatever was on/used while the batteries were producing 24 volts may have been affected. The refrigerator and converter come to mind.

John

jnbhobe
06-19-2010, 10:32 PM
Check the output with a meter should be 13.2 or more. If not check the 3 -30amp fuses on the conveter

newbie
06-19-2010, 10:34 PM
I believe the converter has three fuses. Also, the refrigerator has a couple of fuses in the access compartment (on the outside of the camper)

John

sidney dreyfus
06-19-2010, 10:51 PM
The refrigerator was off at the time. I just put it on and it's working fine. I'll test the converter tomorrow.

wdk450
06-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Gang:
Fuses often don't blow soon enough to protect electronics. I would check out your convertor by intentionally discharging your batteries then apply power to the convertor while monitoring the battery voltage to see that the convertor does its job correctly.
I would also do a test run on your refrig having it automatically cycle from AC to propane by enabling the AC source after it is going on propane for a while. The logic circuit board, which decides which power source to use, and turns on the gas and lights the burner, runs on 12 volts DC.
You would rather find out if you have problems with these now, instead of out on the road.

noobee
06-20-2010, 08:55 AM
If you have blown your converter you will find out soon enough.... your batteries will run down & the 12V side of the unit will no longer function. Best bet is to test the batteries ASAP as others have mentioned.

CS

sidney dreyfus
06-20-2010, 10:02 AM
If you have blown your converter you will find out soon enough.... your batteries will run down & the 12V side of the unit will no longer function. Best bet is to test the batteries ASAP as others have mentioned.

CS

CS,
Looks like the converter and refrigerator are working fine. The fridge switches back and forth from AC to gas without a problem. Looks like the converter has a built in saftey feature that protects it from downstream mistakes like the one I made. I still can't believe I forgot I originall bought two 6 volt batteries wired in series. You should have seen those lights when I hooked up the two new 12 volt batteries the same way in series. REAL BRIGHT! Just lucky again.

Thank you,

jmgratz
06-20-2010, 03:21 PM
Don't forget the thermostat uses 12 volts. If you look in your owners manual it will list many of the 12 volt systems. Also you can look at the 12 volt fuse panel and it should be labeled at to what uses 12 volts. Hopefully you didn't damage too much.

sidney dreyfus
06-20-2010, 05:34 PM
Don't forget the thermostat uses 12 volts. If you look in your owners manual it will list many of the 12 volt systems. Also you can look at the 12 volt fuse panel and it should be labeled at to what uses 12 volts. Hopefully you didn't damage too much.

Thanks Jim,
Just tested the furnace/air conditioner thermostat and all is well. Also the ceiling fan thermostat which is also working properly. It appears our BigHorn electrical system can withstand 24 volts for at least a few minutes. So far so good. Just a few light bulbs needed to be replaced.