Is The 3rd Time A Charm - bad AC unit?

imchud

My A/C unit has craped out for the 3rd time in a little over a year:mad: - same problem all 3 times. my fan will kick off but the compressor keeps running, i will shut the thermostat off but it keeps on running... kind of like that energizer bunny. I even did the theromostat up grade, The only way I can shut it down is to kill the breaker. The last time i had it fixed they said it was some kind of relay or something like that. I'm taking the trip over to Indy tomorrow to drop off the camper at RV Capital, there going to fix a leaking slide that nobody else has been able to pin point. I'm also going to ask them to repair the A/C Unit, and I'm hoping it will be the final fix. Any Ideas?? Also, do the A/C units have a 1 or 2 year warranty, Thanks..

Tom

Last edited:

Rickhansen

Tom & Linda,
You don't mention what brand and model your A/C is, so I can't offer much in the way of specific suggestions. Most Heartland products are Dometic A/C's I believe, but most A/C manufacturers use pretty standard conventions, parts, etc. Here is a link to a very good Duo-Therm service manual that cover both A/C and Heat-Pumps - don't use it as a specific guide to your system, but it provides some good references. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/acservice.pdf

Your description leads me to either a stuck relay (contacts welded) or a problem with a circuit board keeping the relay energized. It would help to know exactly what the previous attempts to repair entail, particularly what parts they replaced. Apparently they didn't fix the problem.

If you are not very familiar with electrical and refrigeration, don't attempt to troubleshoot or repair this on your own - better to let the dealer utilize the warranty. Even with the breakers off (open), there are hazardous voltages present in the unit.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Tom & Linda,

Where is your slide leaking? Where does the water show up? Curious because I chased a leak in my 3385 for a long time...

imchud

Tom & Linda,
You don't mention what brand and model your A/C is, so I can't offer much in the way of specific suggestions. Most Heartland products are Dometic A/C's I believe, but most A/C manufacturers use pretty standard conventions, parts, etc. Here is a link to a very good Duo-Therm service manual that cover both A/C and Heat-Pumps - don't use it as a specific guide to your system, but it provides some good references. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/acservice.pdf

Your description leads me to either a stuck relay (contacts welded) or a problem with a circuit board keeping the relay energized. It would help to know exactly what the previous attempts to repair entail, particularly what parts they replaced. Apparently they didn't fix the problem.

If you are not very familiar with electrical and refrigeration, don't attempt to troubleshoot or repair this on your own - better to let the dealer utilize the warranty. Even with the breakers off (open), there are hazardous voltages present in the unit. - Im sorry but I don't know much if anything about the A/c Units - However i do know its an Dometic and last year when they fixed it (?) they said something about the Relays or relay... Anyway, it's in Elkhart IN as we speak, (RV Capital) they said they will get to th bottom of it, "I Hope"......

Tom & Linda,

Where is your slide leaking? Where does the water show up? Curious because I chased a leak in my 3385 for a long time. The Leak is on the main L/R slide. if you are inside looking at the slide the water was coming in on the bottom right corner. It was soaking the carpet that surrounds the slide from the corner by the frig to about 3 to 4 feet back in front of the table and chairs. It happend with the slide open or closed and It has happened so many times that the carpet and cabnet by the frig is getting mold growing on them. We had it looked at twice with no luck??? It's currently at RV Capital in Elkhart IN - I told them I don't want it back until they can figure it out, they sound like they know what they are doing and they do a lot of repair for Heartland so I got my fingers crossed...

branson4020

Icantre Member
Tom,

That's exactly where mine was leaking. It wasn't the slide. It was the refer vent. It was leaking down inside the wall under the refer and running into that corner. Really stained the bottom of the cabinet in that corner. I had to remove the refer vent frame and caulk behind it.

Rickhansen

Im sorry but I don't know much if anything about the A/c Units - However i do know its an Dometic and last year when they fixed it (?) they said something about the Relays or relay... Anyway, it's in Elkhart IN as we speak, (RV Capital) they said they will get to th bottom of it, "I Hope"......

Tom,
No Problem, always better safe than sorry. Good Luck with it.

Ernie & Lettie

Had the same problem. What they found was the circuit board in the air conditoner went bad. They, sent a new board and also a new thermostat, ever since they replaced those two items our air works better than it ever has. Good luck with the fix.

Re:Heartland Steps up... Is The 3rd Time A Charm - bad AC unit?

Just wanted to thank everybody that replyed to my post.... I just want to give you a breif follow-up.

1st of all we have had a main slide leak every since we purchased our B/H that nobody seemed to be able to fix, we also had a A/C unit that kept failing, again since the beginning. My DW and I didn't know where to turn, we started getting mold from the water problem so I called Heartland to ask for their help. I explained what was going on and told them that i knew my 1 year warranty was long gone, I didn't expect them to money up, but I explained that I just wanted their help... I even asked if we could bring it to them to have the experts go over it and help find out what was going on. Heartland told me that they really didn't take campers back for repairs, instead they suggested that i take it to RV Capital and if they got stumped they would send someone over to help figure it out. So about a week ago off it went to RV/C - When I droped it off I asked them to PLEASE be kind and treat me right so the cost didn't get out of control.

I heard back from RV/C today...My Heart did a little jump waiting for what he had to say..................Wait for it.....................................Wait for it........................
They found the leak and fixed the A/C unit.....

The water problem was found by the help of a fellow RVer (Branson 4020) he wrote --- "That's exactly where mine was leaking. It wasn't the slide. It was the refer vent. It was leaking down inside the wall under the refer and running into that corner. Really stained the bottom of the cabinet in that corner. I had to remove the refer vent frame and caulk behind it." Thanks to "Branson 4020" who's e-mail i passed along to RV/C they found the water problem right away. They took out the whole refer unit and the outside vent and vent frame and found that it was not properly installed. there was no caulking used to seal the frame around the vent, or around the refer unit it's self. they found water was getting in behind the wall, running down the wall where the carpet was wicking up the water. they cleaned it up painted the inside walls with a sealer and caulked the heck out it. they also pulled up the carpet to make sure the sub floor was in good shape... it was. They also have a carpet cleaning company coming in tomorrow to professionally clean the carpets.

On the A/C unit they found out it was also not installed correctly, the cold air was getting back into the return air supply and freezing up the coils. I read about this one on the fourm and I checked it out, I thought mine looked okay....apparently not.

So, i'm waiting for the final shoe to fall.... "THE PRICE".... RV/C said they called Heartland to keep them in the loop and reported what they found...... Long story short - Heartland is go to pick up the tab for the whole mess -- The Water Problem - the A/C problem -and also the Carpet Cleaning. Now I learned 1st hand what i have been reading about, Heartland really does care about their customers and their product image. They realized it was their issue and they did the stand up thing when they didn't have to. My hats off to Heartland - RV Capital and the good people on this fourm, and a special thanks to Brandson 4020....

Tom

Re: Heartland Steps up... Is The 3rd Time A Charm - bad AC unit?

Excellent ending and much learned from your posting, thanks. We are well into our 3rd month of BH 3670 ownership. All is performing great in the summer AZ heat. Removed the covers of the refer/frzr vents for better air flow and provided a "sun shade". Bubble foil placed in the windows. All is working great in very extreme summer temps. Hard to believe, 2nd portable A/C mounted in the bedroom closet is only occasionlly required in temps above 108F. Insullation of our BH is EXCELLENT.

What a GREAT report. Heartland people and the Heartland Factory and the people that work for Heartland are the best. I know that Heartland cannot satisfy everyone and cover everything under warranty,,, but they do what they can. Every plant, factory, or car, truck manufacture has limits. And I think most of the time Heartland exceeds what most manufactures will do.

Jim M

Sorry to hear about your problems but 'alls well that ends well'. Heartland rules and has the best customer service in the industry. Happy traveling.

imchud,
So glad to hear that everything is fixed. While I realize it is quite a drive over to Indiana, I have done it a couple of times, in my opinion it is so well worth the trip. RV Capital really does a good job. I know first hand. And as for Heartland, they sure are customer oriented and a stand up company. Now that all that stuff is past it is time for the upgrades huh?

Good luck,
Mark

imchud

Excellent ending and much learned from your posting, thanks. We are well into our 3rd month of BH 3670 ownership. All is performing great in the summer AZ heat. Removed the covers of the refer/frzr vents for better air flow and provided a "sun shade". Bubble foil placed in the windows. All is working great in very extreme summer temps. Hard to believe, 2nd portable A/C mounted in the bedroom closet is only occasionlly required in temps above 108F. Insullation of our BH is EXCELLENT.

StephenKatSea, you wrote you had a "portable" A/C unit in the bedroom of your camper??? I have a portable unit in my home office and I Use a 4" flex line to vent it through the wall - how are you venting the one in the camper? also, what is the BTU rating you are using?

Tom