Fresh water lines leaking under belly

Our 2015 Elkridge 5th wheel has had several water issues throughout the years that we have fixed but our current one has us stumped. Last week, around midnight, my child woke me up because she heard a loud gushing sound coming from the floor heater vent in the dining area. Thinking it was a gas leak (which didn’t smell), we ran outside to shut the propane tank only to see water coming out of the under belly at one of the low point drain between the axels. We shut the water spigot and the sound stopped. By morning, the dripping had stopped but started again when we turned the water back on. Cutting a couple of locations on the corrugated plastic, we found a tiny leak on a hot water line that we sealed with waterproof tape. Almost immediately, a new leak broke out on the fresh water line next to it. I called someone to come fix it thinking we weren’t doing it right. He fixed the new leak but then another leak broke out on another line, then another, then another. He gave up when water was leaking from under the dining table and he couldn’t even see a water line. It was very small leak that slowed after a few hours. A couple days later, we still don’t hear the gushing sound, but I went outside and noticed a lot of water coming out from the front low point valve area (but not the valves themselves). Water was also running out from all around the trailer. Like the underbelly was full and leaking from the seams and from the two cuts we made on the corrugated plastic. There was also water accumulating by the bathtub in the back restroom which has me wondering of flor damage. We shut the water right away and it drips stopped. The guy who fixed the first few leaks thinks the hoses are old and brittle and they are cracking with the pressure. I don’t think our trailer is that old and the water pressure coming in is not very strong. We have been leaving in it full time for 3 years now and we have not moved it in two. (We bought it new). I cannot drop it off at the dealer since we live on this full time and the dealer is at least an hour away from my work place. Last time we asked, the dealer won’t send anyone due to the distance. I don’t know how to remove the corrugated plastic myself since a greasy pipe appears to support it. Any suggestions on what my next step should be? Should I just look for another repair person? File a claim with insurance since it appears to be a huge project? Any other suggestions? Thank y’all for your help.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Since you have multiple leaks occurring makes me wonder if you are using a water pressure regulator. Are you?
And I think your repair guy is wrong about the hoses being old and brittle.
I think you have two options, call your insurance company and let them deal with it or find a new Mobil RV repair business.
That's all I got.

Peace
Dave

Since you have multiple leaks occurring makes me wonder if you are using a water pressure regulator. Are you?
And I think your repair guy is wrong about the hoses being old and brittle.
I think you have two options, call your insurance company and let them deal with it or find a new Mobil RV repair business.
That's all I got.

Peace
Dave
Thank you for your feedback. I do not have a pressure regulator. Have never used one. Do I need one? Would it help?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If the water pressure is 100 psi at the spigot then yes you absolutely need a water pressure regulator. I'm guessing it's unknown so a regulator should be in place. Your RV plumbing is rated for something like 55 or 60 psi max.
Don't cheap out on a regulator get an adjustable one. About $25.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

I am wondering if you have cracking and weak spots in your water lines from the lines all NOT being drained of fluid BEFORE freezing weather occurred (winterizing)?

If the water pressure is 100 psi at the spigot then yes you absolutely need a water pressure regulator. I'm guessing it's unknown so a regulator should be in place. Your RV plumbing is rated for something like 55 or 60 psi max.
Don't cheap out on a regulator get an adjustable one. About $25.

Peace
Dave
Ok. Thank you for the information. I will get one.
I am wondering if you have cracking and weak spots in your water lines from the lines all NOT being drained of fluid BEFORE freezing weather occurred (winterizing)?
Since we live in it full time, we Don winterize it. Before a possible freeze (I am in Texas and this doesn’t happen often), we shut the water off, remove the outside water hose from the spigot to the trailer and store it. Then we empty our tanks and open the low point drains (we have two cold and one hot). Next day, if needed, we close the low point drains, reconnect our water hose, and use it. If needed, we’ll do the same process again before dark. Last year, we didn’t have any need to do this, but now I’m wondering if we got close enough to damage the lines anyway.

wdk450

I haven't ever winterized since I live in warmer parts of California. From what other Heartlanders have posted here I think you are supposed to either introduce RV antifreeze into ALL freshwater plumbing pipes OR use compressed air and open low point drains and faucets to blow all the water in the tubing lines out that you can.
I found this document in our forum library:

I haven't ever winterized since I live in warmer parts of California. From what other Heartlanders have posted here I think you are supposed to either introduce RV antifreeze into ALL freshwater plumbing pipes OR use compressed air and open low point drains and faucets to blow all the water in the tubing lines out that you can.
I found this document in our forum library:
Thank you for the link. It will be helpful in the future.

Update: Insurance said they cover collision related damages because even though they have me as a full timer, they didn’t place me on the full time package.
It took a long time but we were able to fix all the gazzilion leaks with a crimping tool. We threw RatX in the underbelly before taping it up again and appears all is good in the world again. Thank y’all who helped us brainstorm through this.