Torque ratings

jmaguire

I am going to the Outer Banks Saturday and wanted to torque the wheel lugs, and the spring bolts underneath.
What do I torque them to?

jpajax

Put anti seize grease on threads and on chamfer of wheel and lower torque to 95 ft lb. That will save the threads on the lug and your back when you have to change tire. Check torque TWICE a year or more. Tire pressure EVERY time you start out.

Willym

I'd be wary of putting any kind of anti-seize compound on the studs and nuts. The correct torque can only be consistently achieved with clean and dry threads. You could easily over stress the lug nuts/studs by lubricating the threads, and run the risk of damaging the threads or distorting the hubs. Unless there is some documented engineering data to specify a reduced torque using a specific compound, I recommend following the manufacturers instructions.

jpajax

By putting compound on the thread and the chamfer, you will equalize the full torque along the hole bolt. Have you ever tried to put a bolt on a rusty bolt or try to get it off. Have you ever seen a bolt welded to the nut by over tightening I have and it is not easy getting it off. If you put that much torque on a bolt it better not be dry.

Last edited:

Willym

I've never had a problem getting nuts off after using the recommended torques on dry and clean threads. If they are rusty, then they need cleaning, but I've never come across rust on wheel studs. Maybe I've just been lucky.

RollingHome

John, Have fun on the outer banks, it's a great place. In my opinion and experience, I like to dry torque some things (not all). I dry torque my lugs at 120 Pounds and 65 on the springs. However some like to wet torque (lube or Never Seize), I do not know the compensating factor (I could find it if need be) I will leave that to others. Either way is correct just decide which way to go and follow dictated engineering guide lines. It's a matter of choice, both ways are correct. I do like to do this when my rig is in a non-stressed posture, not sure if it matters, just being me, have fun ! Tom

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Lubrication can reduce the torque value by 15 – 25%, so lubricating a screw designed to be torqued dry could over tighten it. Over tightening may cause the bolt to fail, it could damage the screw thread or stretch the bolt. A bolt stretched beyond its elastic limit may no longer adequately clamp the parts and increase chance of failure........Kenny