How much grease

KirkJoe64

2019 Heartland Torque 371
Quick grease fitting on axel
replacing brake shoes and hubs/wheel bearings

My question is, once I have everything assembled, how much grease will it need through the grease fitting?

david-steph2018

Too much you can blow out the rear seal and get grease in the brake assembly. When I used the zerk fitting on the hub, I would use about 1-2 pumps, nothing more. Keep an eye on the rear and spin the wheel while doing the pumping on the grease gun.

rhodies1

You need to ensure you pack the bearings well when you insert them into the hub. I always put more than 1 or 2 pumps into the grease zerk. You need to ensure their is enough grease in the hub. The hub has a fairly large cavity and you need some extra grease in the hub in order to keep the bearings greased.

SLO

Pack wheel bearings before you reassemble everything. I wouldn’t use the zirk fittings to pack new, grease free, wheel bearings. My opinion is not use zirk fittings at all for wheel bearings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bogie

Pack wheel bearings before you reassemble everything. I wouldn’t use the zirk fittings to pack new, grease free, wheel bearings. My opinion is not use zirk fittings at all for wheel bearings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Same here. Pack the bearings by hand and re-assemble. I never use the zerk fittings for the reasons already stated.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Pack them like others say.

If you prefer to use the zerk method, Dexter has a how to YouTube video. If done correctly the seal will not be damaged. I know a few who use that method

Not me!!

Hollandt

2019 Heartland Torque 371
Quick grease fitting on axel
replacing brake shoes and hubs/wheel bearings

My question is, once I have everything assembled, how much grease will it need through the grease fitting?
Please see pages 57 and 58 of the document below. Note that the traile axles should be off the ground so it can be rotated freely during the greasing. Based on my experience it takes about 3/4 to 1 tube of grease to get the new grease to come out the end. Note also to be sure you leave air space in the hub before replacing the rubber seal. If you do not the grease will expand and push past the seal when the hubs get warm/hot during operation.

Attachments

• Dexter 600-8k_complete_service_manual.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

Gary521

Obviously, everyone has their own opinion on this. The spindle takes up some of the space between the bearings but there is still a fair about of volume that need to be filled with grease if you use the easy lube method for the first time. My suggestion would be to hand pack the bearings for the first time and before putting the hub back on, fill a lot of the inner cavity with grease around the perimeter. Use new grease seals.

rhodies1

I Always hand pack my bearings and put lots of grease on the races before I install the bearing seal. I also put lots of grease on the outer race and bearing as well when installing the bearing BUT I also use the grease zerk… and always pump grease into the hub. I do not overfill the hub but ensue there is sufficient to keep bearings lubed. My unit is a 2012 model and to date gave I have never had an issue with anything based on the way I have been doing bearing’s. My thought is to each his own on how you want to do your bearings. I do my bearings every year . I have over 75 k miles on my unit and I clean and repackaged my bearings including the hubs every year and have had no issues.