Portable A/C Unit

imchud

Hey All --- I have a portable A/C unit in my office that is Vented through the wall with a 4" flex line. Has anyone ever used one of these for a extra A/C unit for the bedroom in the camper?? if so where did you vent it. I'm thinking it would be a good idea? It would be a lot cheaper they having one installed on the roof... Anyway, i just had a fantastic fan installed in the B/R and that really works great for those cooler nights....

Tom

Northern Virginia
This was a lively topic a few days ago: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/16690-2nd-A-C

John

porthole

Retired
I have used one in my motorcycle trailer. I cut a piece of plywood to fit a window opening and put a 4" hole in it. Didn't have to look pretty and it worked good.

kkflstf

I bought a 10,000 BTU Sharp at Home Depot today for the garage in my 3850. After spending last weekend with 101 degree heat and 65% humidity with out shade I want all the help I can get. Both roof top a/c's couldn't keep up and I want to be able to hang meat in there if I want! I'll let you know how it works out.

kkflstf

The verdict is in! We arrived at our trailer that has been parked in our seasonal site at the lake Friday afternoon. The temps were in the low 90’s and the inside temp was 94. I cranked up the roof A/C’s and spent about 5 minutes setting up the portable in the garage. I had improvise venting it through a window until I have time to do it right. Anyway to make a long story short it made a tremendous difference, within about an hour and a half it was 70 degrees inside, including the garage. In addition the main units cycled more which should help them from freezing up. I had 50 amp service and never had power issues running everything except the water heater.

tomm00

TomM
Hey All --- I have a portable A/C unit in my office that is Vented through the wall with a 4" flex line. Has anyone ever used one of these for a extra A/C unit for the bedroom in the camper?? if so where did you vent it. I'm thinking it would be a good idea? It would be a lot cheaper they having one installed on the roof... Anyway, i just had a fantastic fan installed in the B/R and that really works great for those cooler nights....

Tom

I have a BH 3055 and live in Lake Havasu City AZ (110 deg+) I bought a portable 9k btu unit and put it between the two recliners in the back and vented it through the side window. Along with the single roof 15k unit it keeps the fiver cool (even the bedroom). $225 well invested.

mountain1

I have used a vent only unit in my toy hauler for a couple of years. My dogs ride back there and it stays very cool and it helps cool the entire trailer when we stop. I run the vent to the window and used pipe covering to fill in the spaces and squirted the expanding foam in a can stuff to fill in little cracks plus it works to hold everything in place. If I ever get around to doing it I intend to cut plexiglass to replace the window so I can just screw it into place.
The vents on either side that allows for if you haul vehicles in the back are the correct size but I carry everything for dog showing so they are in the wrong place for the A/C vent.
I love this little unit as it works great.

RoadJunkie

The verdict is in! We arrived at our trailer that has been parked in our seasonal site at the lake Friday afternoon. The temps were in the low 90’s and the inside temp was 94. I cranked up the roof A/C’s and spent about 5 minutes setting up the portable in the garage. I had improvise venting it through a window until I have time to do it right. Anyway to make a long story short it made a tremendous difference, within about an hour and a half it was 70 degrees inside, including the garage. In addition the main units cycled more which should help them from freezing up. I had 50 amp service and never had power issues running everything except the water heater.

I wonder if anyone has tried your approach of an air conditioner located in the basement, but connecting to the heater vent to distribute the cool air throughout the RV via the heating system ducting?