Lights & Bridges

dprince99

I've got a Cyclone Toy-hauler & the spec. says it is 13' 2" high.
I was wondering if there is a min, hight requirement for lights & bridges in the US.
If not, how does everyone with high trailers know if they fit?
If @ the last minute they find out that they can't, what do they do?

DMitch

dprince, The PDF file I have attached may be of help. The website that it came from is at the top of the page. A newer one may be avail. It may help avoid some of these low bridges.

Attachments

• Low Bridges.pdf
    113.3 KB · Views: 30

RollingHome

David, I cut and paste advice when other posters give advice on this forum. Here's some sage advice from others ;

Bridge Clearances & Heights in North America

As a designated Heavy Hauler who is constantly worried about buying a bridge. I have found a book available at Petro, Flying J, T/A Truckstop.

It's called Clearance and Bridges. It lists every Bridge, Overpass, underpass, viaduct in Canada and the US.

It cost me a whopping 10.00.

Next to my Truckstop directory, it gets used the most.
<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
It is very true that the outter ends of the bridges on the Garden State Parkway in Northern Jersey can be a hazzard. When we go north we pick a middle lane and stay in it. The bridges come up way too fast to travel it any other way. Would rather ride in the middle lanes than get caught out there scrambling for a spot. Travel safe

In my travels I have seen trucks stuck under bridges. Sometimes letting air out of the tire helps to get them unstuck if they are not jammed.

Tom

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have done internet searches and also called DOT in the area I had a question about. For the most part if you stay on the major highways you should not have problems. It is my understanding 14 feet is mostly the minimum bridges are but I know some are shorter. Also there are signs you have to be mindfull of. If you see one that is too low you need to stop. There are books available at truck stops which have listing also. I am sure there are some truckers that will chime in on this topic.

BruteForce

I've got a Cyclone Toy-hauler & the spec. says it is 13' 2" high.
I was wondering if there is a min, hight requirement for lights & bridges in the US.
If not, how does everyone with high trailers know if they fit?
If @ the last minute they find out that they can't, what do they do?

My unit with my additional high-gain antenna is exactly 14' tall. I sweat every time I come to a new bridge.

dprince99

Man,
Here I pretty much thought all I had to worry about was "The biggest campsite".
Getting their can be pretty scary too!!!
Thanks again everybody, happy camping & be safe!!!

Northern Virginia
Tractor trailers max out out 13'6". I think Jon is right that anything over that, DOT requires a permit. We are at 13'2" and have only had to avoid one bride on Sky Line drive that is 12'8" arched bridge. I am told if you ride down the center you won't have a problem but I would be a nervous wreck the entire drive with that on my mind, so we have avoided it.

You certainly don't want to be over 13'6".

John

Last edited:

goodtruck

13'6'' is the legal hight in most states TX,OK,KS,IA,are 14' there are a couple of more states that allow 14' but I don't remember which ones they are. The simple way is to buy a truckers atlas that has the low clearance table and it will also have hight and weight tables in it. They sell in most truck stops for around 20 bucks.