Verizon wireless broadbandand email

porthole

Retired
Anyone else here affected by verizon's "upgrade" in service last August?
Verizon eliminated outgoing mail server support - an enhancement according to them.

If you only use web based mail it wouldn't affect you. I use Outlook and it really was a pain that I could no longer use Outlook to send mail.

Finally found a workaround this week.

SMTP2go.com has a SMTP service that works seamlessly with outlook.

You can use it with several email address' and the subscription rates vary depending on how many emails you send a day.

I signed up for the 150 emails a day for $40 a year.

Not happy that I have to pay extra to send my email but very happy that I can go back to using Outlook.

That's interesting. I was considering getting Verizon's MiFi gizmo so I would not have to rely on the CG's WiFi. Theirs is free and works great until the park fills up. But I also use Outlook and don't want to pay extra on top of their (Verizon's) monthly subscription price. I was having trouble with the CG's WiFi and sending emails via Outlook until I found a software switch change that fixed that.

I used to have problems with outgoing mail when we were on the road. It didn't matter if I was on my Verizon air card or the CG WIFI. I did use Outlook. I switched to a Gmail address, and now I have no problems with the outgoing mail.
If you must use Outlook, it can be configured to send and receive the Google mail.
It was a slight inconvenience to change my addy, but I got over it.
And it's free.

Peace
Dave

I use a Verizon Air card and a Sprint Air card. I don't use either providers email. I have my own domain and have numberous email address depending on what I use them for. Personal Email, business email, DW email and junk email (for those that require an email address and I don't want them to send me junk email on my main address)..

I have no problem getting email or sending email with Outlook. I am using Go Daddy domain services. I can also go to Go Daddy and get my mail from any account with their web based email. I use MS Live.com for junik email and IM to communicate with friends.

Gmail is good as stated above. If you want to continue using Outlook you might try one of the domain email services. There is 1and1, Go Daddy, Domain.com and many others if you google Internet domain provider.

FWIW
BC

I used to have problems with outgoing mail when we were on the road. It didn't matter if I was on my Verizon air card or the CG WIFI. I did use Outlook. I switched to a Gmail address, and now I have no problems with the outgoing mail.
If you must use Outlook, it can be configured to send and receive the Goggle mail.
It was a slight inconvenience to change my addy, but I got over it.
And it's free.

Peace
Dave

Yes, I can make the Gmail work with SMTP, I have a Gmail email because of my Droid.

But my other email addresses I have been using for many years. I do not like web based email and for me it was a simple solution to keep using my outlook. I prefer to have outlook download my mail and attachments as opposed to going on the web.

i don't know enough about how email works - but I do know how I would like it to work.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I do not like web based email and for me it was a simple solution to keep using my outlook. I prefer to have outlook download my mail and attachments as opposed to going on the web.
i don't know enough about how email works - but I do know how I would like it to work.

Cookie
If you go to Go Daddy and get you domain name (it is not expensive) I can help you set up your email and configure your Outlook.

I use Outlook all the time. Was using Outlook 2003 but now using Outlook 2007.

BC