Scrubbing roof stains

robnmo

I've read the threads about scrubbin (or washing, depending on what part of the US you live in) ;) the Dicor roof. So I tackled that task today, it cleaned up pretty well, but where the main A/C unit sets it's stained pretty bad from the condensate water running to the eve's. I used a little stiffer scrub brush which helped some, any one have any suggestions besides a chemical roof cleaner which I really don't want to use. I'd really like to stay with simple soap and water like what was recommended to us by HL.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I use Dawn to wash the roof. Dark stains.....well....you can't see them at 65 MPH. I think that the darker ones are the glue they use to attach the roof. My 2cts.

robnmo

Guess that was the problem, I used Joy cause I was too lazy to walk to the house and get the Dawn. ;) It's not a big deal, I just don't want to get accused of having a dirty roof or a sagging underbelly. The underbelly thing I've already got going, except it's on me and not the RV. ;););)

Netem

I use Dawn but at the rally last year the Dicor people said you can use Ajax on the tougher spots. I tried the Ajax on the AC stains and not much better than the Dawn so now just use the Dawn and live with what doesn't come off. With the Dawn its clean and nothing running down the sides.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Man, seems like Dawn is good for almost anything. Too bad you can't drink it, well I guess you could, but then you would have to clean up the mess with the Dawn LOL.

raydurr

we purchased our sundance used and the prevoius owner had NEVER cleaned the roof.Living in Texas a clean RV roof is important because a bright white roof reflects sunlight far better than dirt and mildew.this probably helped in cooling our unit more than anything else,it sems. We tried mild soaps and lots of scrubbing with little luck. What did the most good was Westleys whitewall tire cleaner and a scotchbrite pad. The roof looked new afterwards.Probably not the best thing to use, but had wasted 3 afternoons before trying the nice way. Lastly applied LOTS of the DICOR UV protectant after it dried.Good luck

gpshemi

It would take a few of them, but has anyone tried those Mr. Clean sponges? They're super soft, but man do they work good on the awning and stuff. I bet they'd work awesome for your hard to get up stains that dawn isn't working on. Give it a try. They're pretty amazing along with dryer sheets for the bugs.