Trouble removing AC condensate stains on roof

Not quite sure where to post this it has to do with the a/c units cosmetically anyway. I have a 2018 Landmark, Newport with 3. A/C units. Just back from a 4 month road trip. All 3 of the units have left a rust colored stain on both sides of the roof where the condensate runs off the roof. Pretty ugly looking. Took the top cover off 2 of the units today couldn’t see anything interesting that might becausing this. Any body else having this problem? I believe I have the Quiet, Dometic units. Fixes? (Not having much luck in removing the stains. Tried Murphy soap and a light solution of simple green no luck!). Thanks in advance. safe travels, Roy

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Try this...cleaned mine like new!!!

24bd961ee5b6de54bf28aac427c0c771.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: AC staining white roof

What color are the stains? Can you post a picture of them?
Here are some photos (we will see if I can first time for me)

Attachments

• AE772BCD-733C-46EE-84BB-493C08A8AD78.jpg
    AE772BCD-733C-46EE-84BB-493C08A8AD78.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 92
  • A8443876-8956-40B4-B594-AF193150EF57.jpg
    A8443876-8956-40B4-B594-AF193150EF57.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 7371D2D2-209B-4D86-B848-DEB0F5485711.jpg
    7371D2D2-209B-4D86-B848-DEB0F5485711.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 91

jbeletti

These stains have me wondering if you have a refrigerant leak. Do you have this from both ACs or just one? The one(s) that has the stain(s) does it(they) work well?

These stains have me wondering if you have a refrigerant leak. Do you have this from both ACs or just one? The one(s) that has the stain(s) does it(they) work well?
They seem to work pretty good. I have 3 a/c units and all 3 leak like that whatever it is. 2 of them put out more discoloration than the other one.. I haven’t seen this before and I don’t think its right. The stain that I took pictures of is after cleaning on them for about an hour.. But whatever the cause I don’t think that it is right I shouldn’t have to be up there on the roof cleaning on them like that. I’m not an a/c guy but is the refrigerant a gas or a liquid? Anybody else have this problem, or did just get lucky and get 3 bad units?

jbeletti

Consider sending your picture, VIN and full contact info to Dometic via email at this address: customersupportcenter@dometicusa.com

Ask them if this seems normal or not. If not, they'll likely suggest you have a Dometic authorized servicer look at it. Most dealerships are authorized and a good many mobile servicers are too.

travelin2

If it’s a greenish color that’s oxidation from the copper coils that exits with the condensation IMO.

wdk450

Once you get rid of the stains . . . .

I have seen references to Air Conditioner condensate drain hose systems, which should be pretty simple. Just a hose barb fitting screwed into the base sheet metal of the AC at the lowest corner drain hole, block up any other base plate drain holes with silicone or caulk, put a small hose onto the barb fitting (white to match the roof?), tie down the hose to the roof for road wind with stick-on hose clips, and let the free end of the hose drain either off the side of the rig or into the rain gutters.

Nightshifter

Mine does the same thing. Tried cleaning it off before putting the Dicor roof protectant on. I got about 1/2 of it off but still can see the stain. I’ll try the 30 second cleaner.

wdk450

Try this...cleaned mine like new!!!

24bd961ee5b6de54bf28aac427c0c771.jpg

I looked up the Home Depot MSDS on this, curious as to what it was, and if it had any potential danger to the Dicor rubber roof sheet. Here is a link to the .pdf msds document: https://images.homedepot-static.com/catalog/pdfImages/00/00a53415-929d-4817-bf32-f1b8fbd33d7b.pdf

The description of the main ingredient is on page 3 - Sodium Hyperchlorate, that is bleach. It looks like using bleach products on the rubber roof is OK with Dicor: https://dicorproducts.com/eblast/DP12-9/ .

travelin2

The description of the main ingredient is on page 3 - Sodium Hyperchlorate, that is bleach. It looks like using bleach products on the rubber roof is OK with Dicor: https://dicorproducts.com/eblast/DP12-9/ .

The product label’s recommended uses includes RVs...
I used about a quart in a spray bottle at full strength to do my entire roof. It was deeply stain with mildew by May after returning from our winter/spring outings. Neither Dawn nor a retail RV roof cleaner provided satisfactory results. We use this product to clean our trek deck patio. Checked the label and the rest is history...

Bobby A

I looked up the Home Depot MSDS on this, curious as to what it was, and if it had any potential danger to the Dicor rubber roof sheet. Here is a link to the .pdf msds document: https://images.homedepot-static.com/catalog/pdfImages/00/00a53415-929d-4817-bf32-f1b8fbd33d7b.pdf

So, can this product be found at Home Depot ?? if so, what department ?? Thanks,

wdk450

So, can this product be found at Home Depot ?? if so, what department ?? Thanks,

The Home Depot website has a neat feature for finding stuff that is stocked in your local store. When you first get on the Home Depot website, be sure your local store is linked to you with the "Store Finder" at the top of the page. You need to look up your local store and click to "Make This My Store". Then do a regular search for the product you want in the search bar. Then click on the exact item you want. When that item's webpage comes up, if it is in stock at the store you selected, there will be a section below the item's description saying "Pick Up in Store Today". That section will tell you how many are in stock and AN AISLE AND BAY LOCATION LISTING FOR THE ITEM.

In my search for an msds on the cleaner, I saw indications that Lowe's had it , too.

travelin2

Availability is widespread. Our Lowes and local hardware stock it
Look for it in the household cleaners section

Bobby A

Availability is widespread. Our Lowes and local hardware stock it
Look for it in the household cleaners section

Thank you both, I will look for it at both Lowes and Home Depot in the household cleaning section first, than inquirer if I can't find it.