Flying Bedliner Crash

robnmo

Just a little heads up to what can happen on the road, we took a little jaunt down to Key Largo and Key West last week and were driving I-95, the wife was driving, me in the passenger seat and a friend asleep in the back seat. We didn't take the Cyclone on this trip (part business part pleasure) so just had the truck. Just North of the Florida line a Ranger pickup truck was in the lane to our left and about 3 car lengths ahead of us, and we had vehicles on both sides. All of a sudden the bedliner of the Ranger comes flying up in the air about 20 ft, I had enough time to say HOLY S*** and it hit the right front corner of our Dodge. The wife chased them off the Interstate and into a parking lot, and got a report done, they said they had it "duck taped" in their truck and didn't even know they lost it. We lost the grill, damage to the headlight, running light, bumper, and minor damage to the fender so now it's in the insurance companies hands, but in all the years we've traveled, we've seen retreads blow, things fall from semi trailers, livestock trailers, vehicles zip across the median, but this is a 1st. No warning, nothing, just a huge black truck bed fly into the air and headed for our windshield. We talked afterwards, I couldn't imagine being on the motorcycles and that happen, there was no way to avoid anything. Be safe out there.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
WHEW! Some shorts to be cleaned, I'm sure. Guess that "skritch" sound wasn't loud enough for them when the duct tape let loose. Must have gone to the Red Green Auto Repair Shop for that fix.

truknutt

Committed Member
Sorry to hear of your experience. Make sure the duct tape comment is in the report...all my years of doing aftermarket bedliner installs and I never read about duct tape as an option in the installation instructions!!!

dieselsweetheart

Duct tape may be great but it seems no good opponent of probably 80 mph down the highway. Glad you are all ok...could've been much more serious had your wife lost control of the Dodge....

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We can relate to your experience. We have seen whole sheets of plywood and extension ladders fall off of vehicles. Once a cardboard box flew out of a truck and broke our windshield. We saw a tarp fly off of an 18 wheeler hauling hay. The tarp covered the car in front of us and then blew off. One of the bungie cord ends went through the G614 on the RV causing us to have a leaking tire. Bottom line is you got to be ready for anything on the road 'cause Murphy's law (whatever can happen will happen) is alive and well.

Hunter

Newby
Nothing blowing off ... but 3 lanes of vehicles coming to an abrupt stop in front of our trailer and a truck veering into our lane right in front of us. Just got the truck and trailer stopped in time. It took awhile for my stomach to stop feeling upset. It was quite a fright. Thought this may be the end. We made it home safe, but a bit shaken.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
WOW - what a deal. Last May on our way out west, we had a weird event also. Heading into St Louis on the east side, we were passed by a dodge truck pulling a trailer full of lawn mower equipment. Just as he passed us, a 5 gallon gas can blew out of the trailer hitting another dodge truck following him. As Nathan watched the can bounced across the road behind us, he said that he didn't think it hit the BC. When we stopped to get fuel on the west side of town, guess what - IT HIT US! The bottom piece of sheet metal had a huge dent all the way down the side but most upsetting was that the gas can ripped off the 50 amp plug-in. Try to find a 50 amp plug from St Louis to Kansas City is almost impossible. After stopping at all of the rv service places that the Trailer Life directory stated was along the interstate (some out of business), we finally found one near Oak Grove, MO. Having the rig behind us, we couldn't chance the lawn equipment guy down. How many people can say they have been hit by a flying gas can?

hillsonwheels

Gotta weigh in on this one....Just got back from level up and tri glide install and I really had begun to believe that we had a big target painted on our truck and coach.

How somebody in an itty bitty sports car can change lanes from the left in front of you and not get get hit with all eight of our tires locked and smokin' is a miracle!!!!! And, how a Ford pick up can merge across two lanes from the right and not get hit is an even bigger miracle!!!!!!!!!!!!! There was no evidence that either of them even saw something as large as a Chevy pickup and a 3400 RL Bighorn????????? God bless the truckers who have to deal with that sort of stuff all the time!

I am in the market for one of those REALLY LOUD AIR HORNS! And, Reta says that she wants the trigger.

Dick