PDA

View Full Version : Caulking the gutter where two sections meet

patrick1945
10-08-2010, 05:22 AM
On both sides of my BH there is a joint where two sections of gutter meet. There is about an 1/8" gap where caulking doesn't want to stay especially when moving over the road.

My trailer will be staying in place for an extended time and I would like to avoid the stains that are caused by this gap.

Has anyone found a "best" way to close this gap?

jnbhobe
10-08-2010, 06:00 AM
An idea might be to clean the inside of the gutter and apply a small piece of aluminum tape there

hoefler
10-08-2010, 06:13 AM
Find a piece of plastic tubing that will fit snugly in the gutter. Clean the ends of both gutters thoroughly on the outside and ends. Take a good sealer like polyurethane, do not use silicone. Apply an even layer of sealer to the outside of the gutter, let set up, remove tubing.

Jarhead
10-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Here's what I did. Cleaned the inside and outside of the gutter with white gas (Coleman fuel). Took a small piece of wax paper and put it over the gap on the outside, holding it in place with masking tape. Using a small amount of white self leveling sealing caulking on the inside of the gutter I filled the gap and spred it using my finger down the gutter (about an inch) in both directions. The next day I removed the masking tape and wax paper and the result looked pretty good. That was done about a year ago and it still is holding up ok.

Bob&Patty
10-09-2010, 09:32 PM
I cleaned them good and used house type window chalking. Been good for 2 years now.