GFCI controls refer elect outlet

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
When I plugged our '08 3400RE to cool the refer before putting food in it I found that it didn't cool. While I looked for the problem I checked the trouble-shooting page in the manual and found nothing. I also found there isn't a circuit breaker for the refer. I looked everywhere and finally checked the GFCI in the bathroom attached to the side of the lavatory cabinet. When I reset it all was in order and the refer started to operate. Why would this system be wired like this? Why is there nothing to tell the average RV owner this? Are any of the newer rigs, even different models, still wired like this and has anything been done to inform others about it?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
OP, yes the newer rigs are the same as yours. Any receptacle that can be exposed to a wet environment must be on a GFCI protected circuit per code. This would be your outside, including the refer, lav, kitchen and basement receptacles.
If you house was constructed within the last 25 years or so, it is wired the same way.

Peace
Dave

hoefler

I can't help you as to why it is wired through the GFIC, it shouldn't be IMHO. Check to find out if your kitchen outlets or the outside outlets are on this GFIC or on their own GFIC. This can be done by simply pushing the test button and plugging something into the other outlets and seeing if it works. If the outside and kitchen outlets still work you can rewire the bathroom outlet to have the fridge bypass the GFIC. If you are half why electrically savvy, remove the outlet ( make sure the rig is unplugged ). On the back you will find where the wires are connected to the outlet. on the back, you will find where it is marked " Line " and " Load ". Take the wires loose from the load side and move the to the line side. Black to Black, White to White. Now if you happen to trip the GFIC while blow drying your hair in the bath tub, the fridge will keep cool.

K

karykatz

Obscure person,

See related comments from our head of production. Depending on location of Refer and where closest GFI depends on where it may be wired. I hope this helps.

The 110 side of the refer does not require dedicated circuit. Depending on model, it will be wired the most economical way. This model and 3055 or others similar, will be on gfi. Units with refers in slide will be on slide breaker.

wdk450

I have a hard time believing that the refrigerator is NOT wired to a circuit breaker. Circuit breakers are mandated by electrical safety codes to prevent supply wires overheating in the walls and causing an electrical fire.
Have you tried flipping all of your breakers one-by-one while an indicator load like a lamp is connected to the outlet? You could use a long extention cord with a lamp from the refrigerator outlet to the breaker box to do this test solo. Also, since the refrig outlet is tied to the GFI, you only need to test as far as the bathroom GFI outlet to find the breaker.
I am a strong believer in Ground Fault Interrupter protection. I remember growing up in the 1950's and frequently reading in the local paper of people being electrocuted. You just don't hear about that much anymore. The one on the refrig would protect you or a serviceperson working from the outside on the refrig standing on bare ground or concrete. The level of protection GFI's give is worth the few nusance trips.

Ricoh

Past Ontario Chapter Leader
The fridge would not work in my 3055. Checked the books. Nothing. went to see my service manager and he told me to check CGFI. It was fine. No power to the basement plug. removed the breaker cover and could find nothing wrong. Started reading what the breakers were for and found a CGFI breaker. Shut it off and reset and BINGO, frige and basement plug was working again. You could not tell that it had tripped.

Rick

Willym

All loads are fed from circuit breakers. What the OP discovered is that the fridge is fed through a GFCI in addition to the circuit breaker. I agree with you on GFCI's though.

I have a hard time believing that the refrigerator is NOT wired to a circuit breaker. Circuit breakers are mandated by electrical safety codes to prevent supply wires overheating in the walls and causing an electrical fire.
Have you tried flipping all of your breakers one-by-one while an indicator load like a lamp is connected to the outlet? You could use a long extention cord with a lamp from the refrigerator outlet to the breaker box to do this test solo. Also, since the refrig outlet is tied to the GFI, you only need to test as far as the bathroom GFI outlet to find the breaker.
I am a strong believer in Ground Fault Interrupter protection. I remember growing up in the 1950's and frequently reading in the local paper of people being electrocuted. You just don't hear about that much anymore. The one on the refrig would protect you or a serviceperson working from the outside on the refrig standing on bare ground or concrete. The level of protection GFI's give is worth the few nusance trips.