PDA

View Full Version : EVENT: Heartland Chapter Rally: MD, College Park - 8/12/2011 to 8/14/2011

mjatwalker
11-10-2010, 07:17 PM
9800 Cherry Hill Road, College Park, MD 20740
Venue:
------------------------------

Cherry Hill Park
9800 Cherry Hill Road
College Park, MD 20740
800-801-6449
www.cherryhillpark.com (http://www.cherryhillpark.com)
Pets ok?: Yes
Pet Fee: $0
WiFi available: Yes
WiFi Fee: $0
Details:

Number of sites held: 30
Site fee: $52.20 per night.
Club Member Event fee: $0 Per Person, $20 per rig for non-HOC attendees.
Cutoff date for reservations is Aug 1st.
Potluck: Yes
Potluck date:
Potluck time: TBD

Event Leader: boatto5er(click to contact) (//heartlandowners.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=4529) and mjatwalker (//heartlandowners.org/member.php/5357-mjatwalker)
Additional Info:
Please join us for a "Capital Rally" (A Monumental Event!): This is a joint rally co-hosted by the Maryland and Virginia Chapters. This is a terrific opportunity to see our nation's capital and all the monuments and other attractions. There is a Metro bus stop in the park for easy connections to the subway into DC and all the Capital sights. The NJ, MD, and VA chapter leaders stayed here the first weekend in November and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. For more information contact either the VA (g_funderburg@yahoo.com) or MD (mdheartlandowners@verizon.net) chapter leaders.

Cherry Hill is a great RV park. It is easily accessable from the Washinton, DC Beltway (I-495). All sites will be back-ins with full hook ups, 30/50amp, water, sewer, and cable TV. Specific sites will not be assigned until arrival. We have a group area reserved so we will all be close together. You can also pick up approximately 20 over the air channels (many in HD) with your antenna. There will be a nominal ($2 per person) charge for us to use the conference center. We'll collect that at the rally.

Links:
www.wmata.com (http://www.wmata.com) (DC area bus and subway transportation)
www.arlingtoncemetery.mil (http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil)
www.tourmobile.com (popular DC tour service)
www.newseum.org (http://www.newseum.org)
www.wwiimemorial.com (http://www.wwiimemorial.com)
www.nasm.si.edu (air and space museum)
www.mnh.si.edu (museum of natural history)
www.spymuseum.org (spy museum)
www.fordstheatre.org (http://www.fordstheatre.org) (where Lincoln was shot)
www.aoc.gov (http://www.aoc.gov) (US Capitol Website)
http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/wash/sitelist.htm (List of dozens of other interesting places/sights)

When you make your reservation, PLEASE send me an email or post a message in this thread so I can keep track of who is coming - THANKS! I will try to keep a running list of attendees posted here:

1. John and Deb Bylinski (prize for being first!)
2. Mike and Ann Walker
3. Jamie and Ginger Walker
4. Mark and Lucia Burton
5. Gus and Debra Funderburg
6. Mark and Linda Millen
7. Duane and Debbie Clause
8. Chuck and Jean Strub
9. John and Mary Ann Proto
10. Bob and Betty Floyd
11. Rob and Donna Winkler (cancelled)
12. Roger and Kelly Beasley
13. Mike and Connie Cuzzort

dbylinski
11-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Yahoo!!!! Sign us up!

Jim & Harriet
11-10-2010, 08:28 PM
yikes - we feel caught between two worlds!
Just today I receved information about an August rally in Tennessee
and now an August rally in Maryland too ... so many rallys ... so few vacation days!

jbeletti
11-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Y'all have a great one - I will be in WI at that time. DC is a wonderful place to visit and our stay at Cherry Hill earlier this year was a good one.

Jim

mjatwalker
11-10-2010, 11:20 PM
yikes - we feel caught between two worlds!
Just today I receved information about an August rally in Tennessee
and now an August rally in Maryland too ... so many rallys ... so few vacation days!

Tough decisions await you or you could do what we do and go to em all!! Hope you are able to juggle you time and join us. It will be a good time.

dieselsweetheart
11-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Hello my fellow CL's.... can't do this one.... I will be on my long-awaited AK cruisetour at this time. With Dave and Nona...and yes, DH. We are going to have a wonderful trip but we'll think of you!!! This will be a great rally!

f250dieseldad
12-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Okay we just signed up

truknutt
12-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Hello my fellow CL's.... can't do this one.... I will be on my long-awaited AK cruisetour at this time. With Dave and Nona...and yes, DH. We are going to have a wonderful trip but we'll think of you!!! This will be a great rally!

Now wait a minute, I haven't confirmed anything, yet!!! Gotta keep my options open!!

dieselsweetheart
12-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Dave, you may want to check with your DW. I think you are confirmed. See you tomorrow!!!

Louise Burton
01-19-2011, 11:06 AM
Yea, Just signed up today! We are so ready!!!!!

jbeletti
01-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Making a bunch of campground registrations this week for leg 1 of Jim's Big Adventure 2011. Sure wish I could make DC again this year but it's not in the cards for me.

For anyone who can possibly make this rally, especially if you've never been to the nation's capitol, don't pass this one up. Cherry Hill CG has a bus stop right in on property that takes you to the train that whisks you to DC. Good times.

Have a great rally!

Jim

JWalker
01-26-2011, 06:25 PM
Signed up today.....YAHOO. We can't Wait. Cancelled a week at the beach and we are going to do 5 days in DC with a Rally as a bonus.

The lady that took our reservations did not know anything about a rally but she said that she would look into it and put us with the group. Looking foward to seeing eveyone.

mjatwalker
01-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Signed up today.....YAHOO. We can't Wait. Cancelled a week at the beach and we are going to do 5 days in DC with a Rally as a bonus.

The lady that took our reservations did not know anything about a rally but she said that she would look into it and put us with the group. Looking foward to seeing eveyone.

Glad you guys are going to be able to join us. This is a great venue and close to all the DC attractions and best of all you don't need to drive!

I'll call tomorrow and find out why there was confusion. Looking forward to rallying HARD, especially after this cold, now snowy Winter. Come on Spring!!

mjatwalker
01-28-2011, 06:30 PM
I talked w/the cg and learned that the folks taking the reservations are not aware of the scheduled rallies this far in advance. That's why it is important to mention that you are a part of the Heartland rally when you call as the reservationists will put that note in the booking to ensure you are assigned a site within the group. Jamie your reservation was noted correctly.

I also realized that we had not made our reservations yet so I took care of that too!

JWalker
01-28-2011, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the follow up. We are already filling up the days with monuments and museums. So much to do and so little time. We are excited!!!!!

Thanks
Jamie

davebennington
01-28-2011, 07:57 PM
We have always wanted to stay in the College Park campground, we just cannot make it to this one as we will be in AK or on the way back.

Dave & Julie

mjatwalker
03-21-2011, 02:24 PM
In the spirit of "Heartland gives back" we have selected FISH of Howard County as our local charity. I became familiar with the good works of this organization through my neighbors, Carol and Frank Kitzmiller, and through our church. This organization has been helping needy families for over 38 years with food and prescription drug assistance as well as financial assistance for rent, to avert a utility cut-off, etc. FISH accepts donations of non-perishable food items as well as monetary donations. All donations are tax deductible with 97% of your donation going directly to those in need. The remaining 3% pays for telephone service, printing, postage and other miscellaneous expenses. I feel this organization is truly worthy of our support, so I would ask everyone attending to consider supporting FISH in some small way. Thanks.

Come on ya all and let's go camping!!! Don't wait make your reservations today.

dbylinski
03-21-2011, 02:32 PM
I think we have our reservation but we will surely mark the needs of FISH on the calendar! What does FISH stand for?

mjatwalker
03-21-2011, 03:22 PM
I think we have our reservation but we will surely mark the needs of FISH on the calendar! What does FISH stand for?
The letters do not stand for any specific words. The fish symbol comes from biblical times when people escaping from persecution could find refuge and care at homes with a drawing of a fish on their doorways.

dbylinski
03-22-2011, 02:19 PM
The letters do not stand for any specific words. The fish symbol comes from biblical times when people escaping from persecution could find refuge and care at homes with a drawing of a fish on their doorways.

Well thank you for the explaination! They say "you learn something new everyday" and it's true!

mjatwalker
03-22-2011, 10:05 PM
Well thank you for the explaination! They say "you learn something new everyday" and it's true!

Glad I could be of assistance.

porthole
04-26-2011, 09:08 AM
Booked, arrive 08/11/11

mjatwalker
04-26-2011, 09:50 AM
Great Debbie and Duane; the more the merrier. This will be a good time.

boatto5er
05-19-2011, 09:04 AM
OK - you folks need to get on the ball and get signed up for this one! While we recognize that our attendance will be limited due to other summer activities, etc, it would be nice to get at least 15 rigs together. If you've never been to our nation's capital, or want to visit again, this is a perfect opportunity. Cherry Hill is a terrific campground with easy access to downtown DC via Metro bus and subway - don't worry, we'll help you navigate the system. Hope to see more of you signing up soon!

handva
05-19-2011, 09:23 PM
Might have to think about this one. We are going to be starting a week long trip on that Saturday. Still trying to figure out a spot to stay Sat to Tues morning.

mjatwalker
05-19-2011, 09:34 PM
We would love to have you!

dbylinski
05-20-2011, 04:53 AM
Visiting DC from Cherry Hill Park is very easily done even for a NJ Pine Barrens kid who never rode the subway! It was very interesting and so convenient to everything our Nation's Capitol has to offer it's visitors.

Don't forget that there are always simple and laid back opportunities at the campground if you are not interested in visiting DC. Their pools are wonderful and let's not forget the Hot Tub! Don't feel like cooking breakfast? Sneak over to the snack shop and have them cook one up for ya! Clean, courtious and accommodating is how I would describe Cherry Hill Park!

Let's do this! Hope to see you there!

jbeletti
05-20-2011, 06:28 AM
On my way home from the first NJ rally, I stopped over in MD and stayed at Cherry Hill for a week or so. Nancy flew in and we took public trans from the CG to DC daily. Loved it. My camp site was about 50 feet from the bus station "within" then CG. Short hop to the train and a decent ride to DC and viola - perfect way to get there!

Jim

mjatwalker
05-20-2011, 08:38 AM
Yes, the cg makes it very easy to take advantage of all the sights and eateries in our Nation's Capitol. If you like Chinese, China Town is a must stop area. That was one of the best things about working in DC for 35+ years!!! Come on and join us

porthole
05-23-2011, 01:08 PM
If you like Chinese, China Town is a must stop area. That was one of the best things about working in DC for 35+ years!!! Come on and join us

One of the best things about working in DC was Chinese food???????????????

boatto5er
05-23-2011, 02:59 PM
One of the best things about working in DC was Chinese food???????????????

Good chinese food trumps working any day!

chkwgn
06-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Hi all;

Jean and I signed up for the Aug rally at Cherrystone. See you all in Delaware in July.

Jim-n-Leslie
06-14-2011, 05:28 PM
Which Cherrystone? I do not recognize an August rally at Cherrystone...
Jim

boatto5er
06-14-2011, 06:08 PM
Which Cherrystone? I do not recognize an August rally at Cherrystone...
Jim

Hi Jim, it's actually Cherry Hill, in College Park, MD.

Jim-n-Leslie
06-14-2011, 06:45 PM
Yeah, we got all excited because Cherrystone is close to use (Cheriton, VA on the Eastern Shore) and we thought maybe there was one we missed. Thanks!
Jim & Leslie

chkwgn
06-15-2011, 12:15 PM
Sorry about the last post, I did make reservations at Cherry Hill not Cherry Stone. I was talking with another person about going to Cherry Stone and my mind didn't disengage. But Cherry Stone is a nice campground, they have lots of activities. A little expensive to get there if you take the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

ringhanger
06-24-2011, 08:31 PM
Mike & Ann, Please order a med shirt for Diane and a lg shirt for me. You can also count us in for the crabs.
Bob & Diane

craftynana
06-27-2011, 11:21 AM
Bob and Betty Floyd

nomare
06-27-2011, 07:45 PM
John and I are coming. I made the resaervations back in April but forgot to post. If Teeshirts are available John and I would like a large and an XLarge. Should I send payment or pay at the rally. Please let me know.

mjatwalker
06-28-2011, 07:40 AM
No shirts for this one just a lot of fun and of course FOOD.

TheWinklers
07-06-2011, 08:06 AM
The Winklers are in, I just called and made a reservation.

dbylinski
07-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Very cool! Better get that chair repaired before we hit the court!

mjatwalker
07-06-2011, 09:49 AM
The Winklers are in, I just called and made a reservation.

Thats Great, We look forward to seeing you guys.

TheWinklers
07-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Very cool! Better get that chair repaired before we hit the court!

LOL his mom sewed it for him! All better (for now)

JWalker
07-12-2011, 08:42 PM
Does anyone know when they are going to assign site numbers?

Jamie

mjatwalker
07-13-2011, 06:10 AM
Site numbers are assigned at check in and we are supposed to be grouped together.

mjatwalker
07-26-2011, 02:22 PM
Woo Ho Kelly and Roger Beasley are going to join us. Who's next?

mikeandconnie
07-31-2011, 11:36 AM
Mike and Connie will be next! please sign us up.. We arrived Cherry Hill Park last week and will be here next month.
WOW, it's sure is a nice park with lots to do. If you plan to take the tours or subway to into DC there is a tourist information briefing next to the pool at 4:00 PM, it was really helpfull to us. We are from Georgia but have been on the West Coast the last few years and look forward in meeting everyone.
Mike

mjatwalker
07-31-2011, 11:47 AM
Welcome to the rally, We look forward to meeting you.

TheWinklers
08-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Bad news... Rob is back on the fence about this trip :( He says he is not excited about driving to that location on a friday afternoon/early evening. Haven't cancelled yet..

JWalker
08-02-2011, 09:16 PM
This might be a stupid question, but how do you think the traffic will be on 270 / 495 around DC at about 5:30 - 6:00. Thinking about coming in from the back side to avoid some of the headaches. Any thoughts?

Jamie

dbylinski
08-03-2011, 03:26 AM
Bad news... Rob is back on the fence about this trip :( He says he is not excited about driving to that location on a friday afternoon/early evening. Haven't cancelled yet..

We are going in on Thursday but there will be some traffic on Friday. No matter when you go through that area of I-95 there will be traffic! Hope you can make it!

mjatwalker
08-03-2011, 06:54 AM
This might be a stupid question, but how do you think the traffic will be on 270 / 495 around DC at about 5:30 - 6:00. Thinking about coming in from the back side to avoid some of the headaches. Any thoughts?

Jamie

Jamie, You will be on the good side of 270 in the evening your other option is 70 east to 32 south to 95 south get off at Rt 212 the a left on Cherry Hill Rd

JWalker
08-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Jamie, You will be on the good side of 270 in the evening your other option is 70 east to 32 south to 95 south get off at Rt 212 the a left on Cherry Hill Rd

That's the exact way we were thinking of going. According to Map Quest, it's only 6 min. longer. It just might be less headaches. We take 32 south every time we head to O.C. Md.

Thanks
Jamie

mjatwalker
08-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Just want to remind everyone about our "Heartland gives back" initiative for this rally--FISH of Howard County. They accept donations of non-perishable food items as well as monetary donations. And remember all donations are tax deductible with 97% of your donation going directly to those in need. The remaining 3% pays for telephone service, printing, postage and other miscellaneous expenses. I feel this organization is truly worthy of our support, so I would ask everyone attending to consider supporting FISH in some small way. Thanks.

There are still sites available for anyone wanting to attend. See ya all soon.

TheWinklers
08-05-2011, 01:59 PM
:( we have to cancel, Rob now has to work his "other" job that weekend :( ...

it never ends around here.. urg.

mjatwalker
08-05-2011, 04:32 PM
:( we have to cancel, Rob now has to work his "other" job that weekend :( ...

it never ends around here.. urg.
That's too bad, we were looking forward to seeing you again. Tell Rob not to work too hard!

dbylinski
08-05-2011, 07:03 PM
No way Donna! We'll miss you guys but we really wanted to check out the chair repair! :(

mjatwalker
08-06-2011, 12:02 PM
This is going to be a laid back, at your own pace rally. Please see the agenda which has been posted on Post 1.

JWalker
08-06-2011, 12:08 PM
This is going to be a laid back, at your own pace rally. Please see the agenda which has been posted on Post 1.

That sounds perfect!! Can't wait.

JWalker
08-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Packed and ready. Just need to wash the truck and load the food. Leaving Friday around 2:00. See ya there!!

carolfig1
08-10-2011, 01:16 PM
We just joined the Owners Club today. Can we reserve a space at this event this weekend?

Carol and Fig
HOC #1972

dbylinski
08-10-2011, 02:52 PM
We just joined the Owners Club today. Can we reserve a space at this event this weekend?

Carol and Fig
HOC #1972

Sure you can! Call the campground at the number listed on the first post of this thread and make sure you tell them you are with the Heartland Owners Club. Hope to see you there!

JWalker
08-10-2011, 03:06 PM

Carol and Fig
HOC #1972

Cool....See ya there!

mjatwalker
08-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Packed and ready. Just need to wash the truck and load the food. Leaving Friday around 2:00. See ya there!!
Can't wait. Have a safe trip.

JWalker
08-11-2011, 05:00 AM
For those who have been at Cherry Hill before. Are there any supermarkets close by? How about fuel stations with diesel?

Thanks

mjatwalker
08-11-2011, 05:49 AM
There is food and fuel very close to the park.

mikeandconnie
08-11-2011, 09:18 AM
Shoppers Grocerys Store, Home depot, and Best Buys is 5 minutes away just turn right at the gate on it's on the left about 1 mile. Turn left at the gate 10 minutes drive and there a bigger shopping center on the left about 1 1/2 mile.

mikeandconnie
08-11-2011, 09:28 AM
The park has a mini market, gift shop and good size rv camping supply center.

mikeandconnie
08-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Hi all,
I just checked with the park staff , the Ralley will be in the 1300 area. We luck out and are so close no need to move.

Mike

dbylinski
08-11-2011, 05:56 PM
We arrived and have set up! Surprisingly no traffic and we cruised right down. First thing we see when we get here is a "classic Landmark" with Illinois Plates on the truck. Mike & Ann spoke to them but we'll stop by later! Getting ready for dinner so Rally On! Hurry up we're waiting!

boatto5er
08-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Dang - we're pi---- that we can't be there. Have some extra fun for us.

dbylinski
08-12-2011, 06:48 AM
Dang - we're pi---- that we can't be there. Have some extra fun for us.

We'll miss you for sure! This is one of those laid back events that I like so much! Think we are going into DC on Sunday with John & Mary Ann want to meet for lunch?

boatto5er
08-12-2011, 09:41 AM
We'll miss you for sure! This is one of those laid back events that I like so much! Think we are going into DC on Sunday with John & Mary Ann want to meet for lunch?

Let me check with the boss. I know we have grandkid duties scattered throughout this weekend that seem to take precedence on her schedule!

mjatwalker
08-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Check Post 1 for updated Agenda information!!!

dbylinski
08-12-2011, 10:03 PM
What a nice day! Swimming this afternoon and such a nice evening in the pavilion with a fire in the fireplace, hot dogs and music! Just a really nice night!

dbylinski
08-13-2011, 09:55 PM
This has been a really nice day. It rained a little but it didn't bother anything. Had a very nice pot luck and spent the night at the pool and hot tub.

mjatwalker
08-14-2011, 04:47 PM
Michael and I want to thank everyone who shared the College Park rally with us. Even with the rain, we had a great time and hope you did too. Most importantly, we spent time with our Heartland family and met some great new people who we can now add to that group. The Saturday night potluck was awesome, proving once again that Heartlanders are some of the best cooks. One of the big hits was Connie's Chicken Pot Pie. Even with Mark trying to tell everyone they shouldn't eat it, there was only a spoonful left which guess who took home! We would also like to thank everyone for their most generous contributions to FISH. Again, thank you for making our first rally such a success and one we will remember.

porthole
08-14-2011, 11:40 PM
And our "FISH" bag is still sitting here.

porthole
08-15-2011, 10:43 AM
Our pups getting ready to go to the rally. Misty can't jump anymore, so she is looking for me to lift her in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkkHOfFYct8

mjatwalker
08-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Our pups getting ready to go to the rally. Misty can't jump anymore, so she is looking for me to lift her in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkkHOfFYct8
Too cute--they know where the fun is!

iforget
08-17-2011, 11:04 AM
Yes the girls are always ready to Rally with our Heartland Family.

Thank you for hosting this great Rally. It is always nice to see old friends and meet new ones. I hope we can go back to this campground again soon. I couldnt find one thing to complain about. Although the streets are narrow, we did make it into our spot.
The laid back atmosphere was perfect for relaxing.

khalsey
08-17-2011, 05:00 PM
On post # 71, I was the person with the Illinois rig that you spoke to. I walked over to the area where all the rally rigs were parked Sat. evening after DW and I got back from my birthday dinner at Longhorns. There wasn't anyone around and the people at the office didn't have any ideas. Dw was having asthma problems and it was raining so didn't pursue any farther. We were busy with our son and family until Sat. morning. Sorry we didn't get to meet you rally attendees.
Keith

dbylinski
08-18-2011, 03:17 AM
Hi Keith, Sorry you couldn't find us but we were at the pavilion by Bathouse 2. Really nice looking rig you have there! There were quite a few HL products in the CG. Spoke to a Bighorn owner from Texas who was going to come to dinner but had tickets to the Baltimore game. Never could connect with the Sundance or Cyclone owners either. I guess they were out doing the tourist thing too!

JWalker
08-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Just wanted to say we had a great time at the rally. The DC tours were wonderful. I was a little under the weather on Saturday, but it was nice to have great Heartland neighbors for the wife and daughter to visit. When I asked Madison what she enjoyed most about the rally, she kepted talking about one thing.......

http://i55.tinypic.com/2rhrzgh.jpg

She loves those dogs.

Thanks again

dbylinski
08-18-2011, 06:11 PM
When I asked Madison what she enjoyed most about the rally, she kepted talking about one thing.......

She loves those dogs.

Thanks again

To Madison: You have great taste in pups! Who doesn't love Misty & Molly?

Glad you guys had a good time and especially happy that you recovered enough to visit DC!

mjatwalker
08-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know that we received a very nice thank you note from Fish thanking everyone for their donations. I will share it with you--

It was very special that you remembered FISH of Howard County through your "camper rally" group. The food, financial donations and thoughtfulness are greatly appreciated. FISH survives on the kindness of people like you. Sincerely, Carroll

This is just another example of how we Heartlanders are touching the lives of others.

porthole
08-28-2011, 04:14 PM
Scratch a dog's head and you'll have a job forever.