PDA

View Full Version : Bed cover with 5th wheels - what are you using?

porthole
12-23-2010, 05:19 PM
Trying to pick a tonneau cover for the new truck.
Looking at either a standard type vinyl roll up (not my first choice) or one of the folding types.

The G4 Elite Fold A Cover is very interesting but I can’t find anyone who has one on an eight foot bed.
http://www.foldacover.com/

Bakflip F1 also looks good.
http://www.bakflip-tonneau.com/features.asp?tabid=2

I would like to have some type of tool box in the bed, either my Weatherguard out of the Sierra or maybe even a “made to fit” plywood box under a cover. My Weatherguard an “inside” the bed box.

With the folding covers, can you fold them half way to use the hitch or do you have to fold them all the way to the rear window?

Anyone have either of the above two?

2psnapod2
12-23-2010, 05:39 PM
That's a great question. I am contemplating the same issue. Just bought a new 2010 F350 DRW and going to put a toolbox and a tonneau cover. Plan on going with a Mountain Master hitch. Was just looking at the different covers today. I am hoping to find one that will flip up to allow access to the toolbox and be folding. If I can't find one that will, I'll have to go with a roll up one. Would prefer the fold style.

Sailor
12-23-2010, 05:44 PM
I have the Truxdo Lo Profile. I have had it on the truck for about a year now sitll looks like new. Very easy to roll up and back out! Because it will roll al lthe way up to the back window of the cab, I can get to my tool box.

http://www.truckaccessorizer.com/store/truxedo_lo_profile.htm

jnbhobe
12-23-2010, 05:52 PM
Duane; I have the Advance Cover I think their out of Michigan. I have one that is about 9yr old. If I get a new truck I want to put in a tool box and tank combo so now I'll have to find one I can use with that.

danemayer
12-23-2010, 05:55 PM
I have a BakFlip G2 on my 2011 Sierra. I usually tow with it folded over to the last segment, but not up against the window. Either way it has to be strapped in place; I use bungie cords from the bed up over the folded cover segments to the anchors provided at the very front of the cover.

I chose the BakFlip over some other products because I didn't want to carry a separate key. The BakFlip relies on the tailgate lock. Many others have a separate lock and another key to carry. I really like having a single key for the truck doors, ignition, tailgate and bedcover.

I looked at some toolboxes that sit down inside the bed, but I couldn't find any attractive solutions. Even folded up against the window, the bed cover blocks access to the 1st 18" or so of the bed, so the toolbox wouldn't be able to be secured all the way to the front of the bed. The latches would have to be on the front surface of the toolbox. I wasn't picturing a very convenient setup. So I ended up with a couple of large tubs. I can lift them in and out of the bed without too much trouble. If I don't unhook overnight, I store the tubs in the backseat of the truck and in the trailer.

I also looked at a hard retractable rollup cover. There was one outfit that thought they could modify the installation rails, putting a toolbox at the very front of the bed and a shortened rollup cover behind it. But it looked like the toolbox, rollup housing, and hitch would have piecemealed the bed so much as to make it unusable for anything else.

One of the reasons I don't have to fold the BakFlip up against the window is that I have an 8' bed. So even if the BakFlip takes the first 24", then I still am no worse off than a shortbed without the BakFlip, and my Landmark should be able to make an 88 degree turn without touching the BakFlip. SHOULD be able to. I'm also comforted by the large vertical clearance between the bed rail and trailer. However, I've heard the 2011 F350s have less clearance than my GMC, so you may want to take a look at that.

JohnDar
12-23-2010, 06:35 PM
I have the basic Laredo manual soft roll up on my truck. I looked at the folding hard tops, but didn't like the prices. For a tool box, I've got a large Rubbermaid hinged lid tool box that I've strapped to the tie-downs in the front of the bed, but I do have to roll the cover all the way to the window to hitch up. There is no mid-point for it. I'll be adding a Transfer-Flo 50 gal. tank to the truck, but it will fit under the cover.

porthole
12-23-2010, 06:54 PM
Duane; I have the Advance Cover I think their out of Michigan. I have one that is about 9yr old. If I get a new truck I want to put in a tool box and tank combo so now I'll have to find one I can use with that.

I'll be going with a Titan tank when they come out in February. I was very happy with the Titan in my GMC, and that was only 52 gallons. The Ford will be 67.

I have seen a bed mounted box, think it was a fuel tank, that was built to allow a roll up cover canister to mount normal. Might be right up your alley.

porthole
12-23-2010, 07:01 PM
but I do have to roll the cover all the way to the window to hitch up. There is no mid-point for it.

Would be nice to figure out a way to secure it half way.

dprince99
12-23-2010, 07:07 PM
Hi Duane,
I had an Xtang tri-fold that is currently on craigslist, great cover but I recently installed an auxiliary tank & needed to access from front of the bed.
The only folding cover I could find that would fit my truck & provide front access was the Advance Cover.
I called Tom (the owner) & he even installed for free, In fact, I didn't like the lock on the back panel so sense he builds the covers there, he customized my cover with no external lock on the back panel & put the latch on the inside of the back panel(I lock with tailgate).
So far the cover is exactly what I needed.
Check em out at: http://www.advancedfoldingcover.com
Hope this helps,
Dave

Lance & Jo
12-23-2010, 07:54 PM
I use a Fold A Cover and have an 8 foot bed on a dully and use a Reese 18K hitch which fits under the cover nicely. Have a KSH 50 gal tank but didn't opt for the tool box on top, but believe it would have worked OK as the height was the same. The cover folds up to behind the cab for towing and because of the way they fold it would not work "half way". I had this cover on my 03 Dodge and liked it so much that I brought it along to the new truck.

pmmjarrett
12-23-2010, 09:47 PM
Have had Extang (http://extang.com/) R/T covers on 2 of my duallies and loved them. One of them was the R/T toolbox tonnau. Great very low profile cover and very easy to roll up and back. Bows are built in and roll up with the cover and when the cover is closed it's nice and tight without the "covered wagon" look with bows showing like many roll up covers. Just make sure the filler neck on the fuel tank is at or below the top of the bed if you go this route.

Had an Extang cover on one of my F150s too. Would buy one again.

TahoeCamper
12-23-2010, 10:50 PM
I have an Xtang roll-up cover and a Delecta-Shield sealtite crossbed low profile box. When I ordered from autoanything.com they shortened the tonneau cover to fit up against the tool box. Low profile and I can see the hitch from the drivers seat.

JohnDar
12-23-2010, 11:00 PM
Duane, it looks like this might be your only option, if you want to travel with it partially open/closed. Looks like about a grand for it. This seller is in my area and installed my Loredo cover, hence the website.

http://www.4vehicleaccessories.com/RETRAX-Retractable-Tonneau-Cover_p_0-272.html

Rrloren
12-24-2010, 07:15 AM
I had the Bak-flip originally but it didn't last , the side pieces kept coming off when folding , then finally the hinges broke and I had to trash it. Lasted about 18 months.
I now have the Advance cover and it seems pretty sturdy. Had it on over a year and it still works fine, it comes with tiedown straps when towing the 5th.

pmmjarrett
12-24-2010, 07:27 AM
I have an Xtang roll-up cover and a Delecta-Shield sealtite crossbed low profile box. When I ordered from autoanything.com they shortened the tonneau cover to fit up against the tool box. Low profile and I can see the hitch from the drivers seat.

Autoanything.com (http://www.autoanything.com/?kc=YAHOOBING&s_kwcid=TC-778-1716087935-e-432301012) is where I bought my last 2 Extang covers. They carry about 17 different brands of covers at good prices. Well worth a look here.

porthole
12-24-2010, 08:03 AM
Duane, it looks like this might be your only option, if you want to travel with it partially open/closed. Looks like about a grand for it. This seller is in my area and installed my Loredo cover, hence the website.

http://www.4vehicleaccessories.com/RETRAX-Retractable-Tonneau-Cover_p_0-272.html

I have actually gotten to try one of these Jon. Very nice cover and very smooth. The construction type seems way better then what I will call the "Pace Edwards" style. I had one of the 1st PE covers in our area and all that aluminum rubbing on itself took its toll. Not very good for a $1200 cover at the time (early 90's). Will never buy another one of that type.

Problem with the ReTrax is I want a toolbox.

porthole
12-24-2010, 08:06 AM
Autoanything.com (http://www.autoanything.com/?kc=YAHOOBING&s_kwcid=TC-778-1716087935-e-432301012) is where I bought my last 2 Extang covers. They carry about 17 different brands of covers at good prices. Well worth a look here.

I had two different Extangs on my Sierra. 1st was the flip version. Worked great for what it was, but I wanted a toolbox..............................
2nd was a rolll style that fits with a toolbox. Also a great item. But I got rid of the toolbox and went with a hard fiberglass tonneau cover.

BTW, when I received my Extang I found a small less then 1/2" cut on one of the edges. I called Extang and had a new cover in 2 days.

I still have that new cover if someone needs a GM classic SB cover replacement

Ray LeTourneau
12-24-2010, 08:27 AM
Duane, I've recently seen Short box covers used on long beds mounted right behind a low profile tool box. Most tool boxes are 18" plus a 6'6" SB cover might do the trick. You could use that Extang cover you still have. There's one in our park. I'll try to get a picture of it today.

truknutt
12-24-2010, 09:49 AM
Duane,

Like danemayer, I have the Bakflip G2 on the 450 and luv it. I chose a hard cover both for the "security" aspect & for the strength in winter when the ice/snow lays on it. There are times that I may not get a chance to clear it off for 2 to 3 days due to my work schedule. On the 8 foot bed the Bakflip folds in 4 sections. When hitched, the back 3 sections lay on the front 4th. The instructions state to not travel with the entire unit up against the back of the cab unless you are hauling furniture or the like that will hold it up. Even then it will rub the back of your cab without proper protection.

I can have an in-bed aux tank or tool chest under it. I think there is something like 20" of height to play with.

If you are into the retractable versions, Jim H. has the Retrax on his Dodge. It seems to glide very smoothly and it locks in MULTIPLE positions. He also has his in bed aux tank mounted under it. For functionality I would have chosen this one had I seen one in operation. For the ice/snow issue and smooth flush look, I went with the Bakflip.

SOOO Many choices! Good luck!

porthole
12-24-2010, 10:08 AM
Duane, I've recently seen Short box covers used on long beds mounted right behind a low profile tool box. Most tool boxes are 18" plus a 6'6" SB cover might do the trick. You could use that Extang cover you still have. There's one in our park. I'll try to get a picture of it today.

Thanks Ray, but no picture needed. The cover that I have is a replacement cover only. I am not planning on an above rail toolbox with the truck, especially since i have a Weather Guard box in the garage.

porthole
12-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Dave - you ever try folding the cover in half - eg the last two sections folded over the first two, leaving a 4 foot platform covering the bed?
One of the Bakflip videos show this arrangement. Wondering if it clears the hitch this way.

truknutt
12-24-2010, 02:57 PM
No, but I'll try it out and see if it clears the hitch. I'm thinking it will end near the center of the hitch head, though. Will let you know.

2psnapod2
12-24-2010, 03:13 PM
No, but I'll try it out and see if it clears the hitch. I'm thinking it will end near the center of the hitch head, though. Will let you know.

I would think that the bed being 8 feet, half of that (4 ft) would just about be half wat. Putting it right at the hitch.

porthole
12-24-2010, 05:59 PM
I would think that the bed being 8 feet, half of that (4 ft) would just about be half way Putting it right at the hitch.

You would think, but - the center of the hitch is about 52" from the front of the bed and about 45" from the tailgate.

truknutt
12-25-2010, 03:10 PM
Okay Duane here's the deal; with 2 panels of the BakFlip tonneau folded I end up with 54.5" of covered area & 42.5" of open area (photo 1 & 2).

I travel with 3 panels flipped resting on the 4th resulting in 31" of covered area (photo 3 & 4).

Photo 5 is stake pocket to stake pocket for reference. The center of the hitch is slightly ahead of the axle centerpoint (wheelwell). I should have measured the actual distance but my once frost bitten fingers were screaming at me to finish up!

Photos 6 & 7 show the tonneau in the closed configuration. Note that there are actually 5 panels. #5 stays put and is approx 8.5" wide. The panels are different widths: starting at the tailgate #1 is 20", #2 & #3 are 20.25", #4 is 21.75" and #5 is 8.5" wide. Notice that there are joints in between the panels. There is a .5" rubber joint between panels 1 & 2 and panels 4 & 5. There is 2.5" aluminum & rubber joint between panels 2 & 3 and 3 & 4 allowing the panels to lay up and over the previous ones when stacked. Total inside length of my configuration is 96.75".

Bear in mind that this is mounted on a 2009 450 which may be slightly different from your fancy 2011 350.

Hope all this helps.

2psnapod2
12-25-2010, 04:39 PM
Looks really nice will the last section raise up to allow access to the front of the bed, just behind the cab or do you loose that area for a tank or toolbox?

truknutt
12-25-2010, 06:42 PM
You can have a tank or toolbox BUT, you have to completely open the cover from the rear. :(

I was eye-ballin' this Fuelbox before I bought the Titan 67 gallon replacement tank. It's 19.5" tall (fits under the bedrails) & only 23.5" deep (tonneau has 31" of coverage when open in travel mode). It fills from the front, on the driver's side so opening the tonneau and the box aren't necessary. She holds 44 gallons. Who knows, I might add it later.

porthole
12-25-2010, 10:38 PM
Bear in mind that this is mounted on a 2009 450 which may be slightly different from your fancy 2011 350.

Fancy Schmancy 2011 has the same box I believe. Cab is the same, only the nose is different.
The more I see the Bakflip the more I like it, but I don't really care for the big 1st section. I plan on adding a toolbox there. Either my Weather Guard with out the lid or maybe making my own so that I can make use of all the usable space.

Thanks Dave, 'prreciate you getting all the frostbite and stuff.

But think of it as a prep for tomorrow :cool:

truknutt
12-26-2010, 08:16 AM
Since you're thinking toolbox, have you looked at the Fold-a-Cover (http://www.foldacover.com/)? Same hard tonneau idea as the Bakflip but the front panel allows access to a toolbox or their own "Personal Caddy".

The 2011 Ford products are advertised on their homepage.

2psnapod2
12-26-2010, 09:26 AM
[QUOTE=truknutt;156673]Since you're thinking toolbox, have you looked at the Fold-a-Cover (http://www.foldacover.com/)? Same hard tonneau idea as the Bakflip but the front panel allows access to a toolbox or their own "Personal Caddy".

The 2011 Ford products are advertised on their homepage.[/QU

That is a very nice looking cover. But a price of $675 is a little out of my range.

porthole
12-26-2010, 10:16 AM
Dave this search started after seeing the G4 Elite fold a cover.
Thier web contact doesn't work and no one answers the phone.
Best I can tell if you have it folded for trailer use you cannot get into the front section

I like the idea but what good is it if I need the electric impact and torque wrench to change a flat on the road
Not like I have ever done that .........

Lance & Jo
12-26-2010, 10:41 AM
Dave this search started after seeing the G4 Elite fold a cover.
Thier web contact doesn't work and no one answers the phone.
Best I can tell if you have it folded for trailer use you cannot get into the front section

I like the idea but what good is it if I need the electric impact and torque wrench to change a flat on the road
Not like I have ever done that .........

Duane, I have one on an 8 foot bed with an external tank forward. To access the tank while towing you just need to partially unfold the top 3 sections (so they are propped open) and then open the forward section to get at the tank or a tool box.

jmgratz
12-26-2010, 11:46 AM
I have a solid "Snug Top" fiberglass solid bed cover from my 99 F350 8 foot bed I would like to sell if anyone wants to PM me we can talk about.

mesteve
12-26-2010, 12:34 PM
I am using a Roll-N-Lock. Couldn't be happier.

jnbhobe
12-26-2010, 12:38 PM
I'm watching to see what you come up with Duane !! I want a cover I can use with a tool box tank combo. Hopefully some thing I can use with the trailer on and still fill the tank.

porthole
12-26-2010, 01:48 PM
Jon, I'll be doing an in frame tank when available, so what I find might not be suitable for you. Did you see the tank Dave posted above?
On my GM I installed a 52 gallon tank. I found that more then sufficient for my needs. Might change my mind when we are finally able to travel cross country, but the 8' bed truck will allow a67 gallon tank. That should be good.

When the cross country time comes it would not really be that big of a deal to add a 30-40 gallon tank.
I would even consider having one made. For the price of the external tanks I have seen it might be cheaper to have a marine tank made. I had a 28 gallon tank made to my specs for our Boston Whaler. Cap, vents and pickup where I wanted them, fuel gauge and USCG certified for $525

jnbhobe
12-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Not sure if a new truck is in the works or not right now. Looking to get down to one truck, right now I have one with 125K and one with 47K that we only use for towing. I am thinking 8ft bed and not sure of SRW or a Dually, I have to see if Patti will drive a dually. Can buy the combo box-tank for about $600. I have to get around not having a company truck first, that opens a can of worms for me at the moment. But I'm watching your progress.

schiller
01-23-2011, 07:36 PM
We installed an Extang Revolution on our 2010 F-350. It has encased bows, no snaps and no rear rail to worry about. We have had it on the truck for a year now. Did have it blow out coming back last May in 45 mph head winds in Minnesota. Xtang replaced it and was great to work with. They did have to send me two replacements as the first one was not the correct cut for a Ford. They responded immediately and sent a replacement along with shipping labels to return the incorrect one.

jimtoo
01-23-2011, 08:03 PM
Hi shiller,

Welcome to the the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

It's always good to hear about companies that work with and take care of their customers. I think you will find Heartland does the same.

Enjoy the forum and the Heartland Family is here for you if you need help.

Jim M

Warnerelli
02-05-2011, 06:49 PM
I am a big time believer in the Access line of covers and have had three installed on different trucks. The last one I installed is the Access Tool Box Edition Truck Cover that butts up to a tool box. The web site is: http://www.agricover.com/index.php/products/category/C31/. I believe this to be the cat’s meow of a tool box tonneau cover set up. You have access to the tool box without touching the tonneau and still have the fifth wheel hitch and contents covered when not in use. It rolls up effortlessly and is very simple to use. I have used mine towing a fifth-wheel now for about three years. Of course if you’re looking to tow a fifth-wheel then you want a low-profile box. Most low profile boxes have the latches on the back side facing the tailgate. If you use this tonneau cover then you cannot get to the latches. I have a low profile tool box with a pop-up "T" handle on top of the tool box on the driver’s side. This tool box is the Deflecta-Shield Seal Tite Low Profile Crossover Truck Toolbox (http://www.autoanything.com/truck-toolboxes/65A2740A0A0.aspx).

wyleyrabbit
02-23-2011, 07:11 PM
I want to get a tonneau cover for my truck, but would prefer to get one that I can keep on the truck while towing the Bighorn. Was considering either the Extang Solid-Fold or the BakFlip G2. Can either of these be used while towing? How about durability of either?

az2142t
03-20-2011, 08:37 AM
Extang Solid Fold Here...the skinny:

Pro's:

Tow with it on (LB F350 w/Cyclone 3850)
Build quality
Customer service from Extang (Ive had three of them)
Look and durability
Ease of use (two spring loaded hooks under the cover adjacent to the tailgate hold the back end, permanent clamps hold the front)

Cons

Can't see my hitch due to the height of the three panels in the open position (have to get out of the truck to align, not a big deal, but it is a con)
Panel closest the cab is fixed (you cant raise it unless you take it completely loose from the truck) which limits accessibility to storage nearest the cab.

Overall, I would buy it again...check out Ebay if you are interested...there is a seller in Michigan that accepts best offers..I paid $625 shipped for a long bed version.

Mike

mesteve
03-20-2011, 09:25 AM
Roll-N-Lock M Series:

Pros:
Can tow with it on
ease of use
lockable with a single key lock
self draining, has drains built into the roll container
open, its only 9" or so and only 7" deep
has multiple locking positions
roll container only sits an inch or so above bedrails

Cons:
Can unlatch itself and roll open on really rough dirt roads

I absolutely love this thing and would get another one in a heartbeat. Although to be totally honest, I think I am more committed to the rolling cover than this particular piece. This is my first truck so I have not used another type or brand of cover before.

jnbhobe
03-20-2011, 10:17 AM
I just ordered an Advance Cover for our 2011 F-350 LB with a custom tool box in the front made to fit over my 40gal fuel tank. This will be my 3rd one from Advance, will let you know how it works out.

wyleyrabbit
03-20-2011, 11:05 AM
I was almost ready to order the Fold-A-Cover, but turns out the standard model everyone sells does not work with a dually. I called the company to ask about this, and they told me that their brackets don't work with the Chevy dually bed rails (no idea about Ford or Dodge), and that they had just come up with compatible brackets for a higher price (an extra $30). My concern is that these new brackets were so new, I quite frankly didn't trust them, and I don't like paying huge money (for the cover and the new brackets) to be a beta tester.

I ended up purchasing the Extang Solid Fold. So far, am very happy with it. I haven't towed with it yet, but will tomorrow, so hopefully that goes as smoothly as can be.

DXprowler
03-20-2011, 11:38 AM
I found a deal on a BakFlip HD a few weeks ago. It works well but I can't see the hitch when driving and hooking up. My previous setup with a V gate with a low profile toolbox was great but I sometimes need security when hauling weather sensitive items. I've always liked the Fold-a-Cover and am curious if it causes the same problem with not seeing the hitch? I had a Roll-n-Lock on a previous truck and it's probably the best for security and ease of hitching. However I don't like the drum and they're a bit more money.

porthole
03-22-2011, 11:04 AM
I just ordered an Advance Cover for our 2011 F-350 LB with a custom tool box in the front made to fit over my 40gal fuel tank. This will be my 3rd one from Advance, will let you know how it works out.

Get the truck yet?

jnbhobe
03-22-2011, 12:01 PM
Get the truck yet?

Yep, It came in on the 16th and we picked it up on Friday. A lot different from the 06.

porthole
03-22-2011, 11:13 PM
Yep, It came in on the 16th and we picked it up on Friday. A lot different from the 06.

Oh yeah.
What hitch are you using?

jnbhobe
03-23-2011, 05:52 AM
Oh yeah.
What hitch are you using?

Duane; I picked up an 18K Reese Elite from my buddy for $900 witch is about dealer cost. So now I have a Super-Glide with Ford rails for sale.

BC1of38
05-19-2011, 09:32 PM
I use the Retrax and love it. Lockable and super low profile.

GOTTOYS
05-19-2011, 09:44 PM
I use a Lund roll up cover. Good quality, fits nice, 99 1/2% water tight. Roll back and latch down, lock tailgate and it's as secure as I want it to be. Priced a little better than the big name covers with a lifetime warranty on the fabric. Don

kakampers
05-19-2011, 11:05 PM
Just put this BAK Rollbak Tonneau cover on our new 2011 Chevy 3500...http://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-covers/60A1675A0A0.aspx

Like it better than the Roll N Lock because there is no exposed lock, and you don't need another key...the locking tailgate secures the system. Was easy to install too, DH and I did it by ourselves in about 2 hours...and we didn't even fight!! Now that's a miracle...

micar
05-21-2011, 08:04 PM
I use the Pace Edwards Jack Rabbit, works great and locks. Have to flip over the hitch handle to close. You can close the cover to the front edge of the hitch to keep stuff in the front of the box covered.
Mike

Jharris
05-26-2011, 09:23 AM
I bought a Retrax cover out of Fargo N.D. for my F350 and really like it. You can lock it in any position along the way. I am from Canada so the supplier here charged me approx. $1500.00 installed. Not sure what it might cost out of the states.

HAT3585
07-05-2011, 08:21 PM
I'm using a Roll-N-Lock & it was worth every penny!