12V wire taps - what are you using?

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
All,

After working on finding an issue with one of my lights (12 V ) that was no longer working. I was able to trace the issue back to a power tap ( the kind that you crimp over a wire and it breaks the insulation to make contact to the feeder wire and the tap wire. It appears that this connector had vibrated lose or was not installed correctly ( since my rig is a 2010 - I'm going with vibration).

SO my question is - does everyone use the same old wire taps that have been around for years or is anyone using the product from Posi-Lock?

http://www.posi-lock.com/index.html

I wanted to find out if anyone is using these and where you got them. I have used then once - they came with a set of lights I purchased for my Motorcycle and were impressive given that there was no way I could have gotten a crimping tool into the space where I needed to tap into... they claim to be great in high vibration environments, automotive, Motorcycles... RVs ...

Just looking for feed back and where you purchased them. Oh and they also have a water proof version of some of the connectors

Kevin

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you look at their retailer tab, it looks like they're only available online, from them. Interesting device, though.

wdk450

My choice isn't one of your choices, but I routinely slide a little gap in the feed wires insulation, twist a stripped end of the connecting wire around that, solder the connection, and re-insulate with miracle silicone tape. I think that insulation displacement connectors are mostly unreliable for power connections of 1 amp or more. Solder creates a metal molecular lattice to metal molecular lattice path besides the areas of the 2 conductors actually touching each other. It also excludes air (and oxygen metal corrosion) from the junction.

porthole

Retired
Kevin - neither - shortcuts are for installers, not us.

Either learn how to solder "correctly" or use quality butt connectors and a ratcheting crimper. Anchor is about the best brand.

If you need to do anything other then same wire gauge to same wire gauge there are ways to do so. Simplest is an Anchor size to size butt connector, e.g. 10/12 to a 14/18 (yellow to blue or blue to red).
Crimp connectors are colored according to size under 8 gauge and smaller.

In a pinch you can do two wires in a 10 gauge connector and fold over a 14/16 wire to get the volume needed for the other side.

Adhesive lined shrink tubing is your friend as well.

The posi loks you referred to if you have to use something like that are far better then the original scotch loks, which are a terrible idea.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
While agree that Solder is the best solution - it is not always practical and the fact is that there are more of the "pinch" connectors in my rig than I am happy with. I own a soldering iron and know how to use it and do where it is possible. Some spaces are tighter than I would feel comfortable with soldering, so mechanical connections may be the only solution especially to get things fixed. In the case where I used this product in the past, I could not even get a crimping tool into the space - no way could you get a soldering iron in there so it was a good use for that.

Thanks for your input and experience, as always it greatly appreciated.

Kevin

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Throw away the old connector and use either "butt" connectors or solder and shrink tube. The scotch lock type connector suck.

porthole

Retired
Kevin, nothing wrong with the crimp connectors, provided they are done correctly and with decent parts. The crimp industry evolved from the marine industry where most people cannot or do not know how to solder.

Even battery cables for the most part are better off crimped then soldered for the same reasons.

I have limited experience with the posi loks, but from what little use I do have, they are a good second choice, as the method used does not damage the wire. And tends to a good mechanical connection by the twist down of the caps. Same as AC wire connectors do.

Scotch loks are a nightmare for service techs - as you found out.