Hitch pin position

tdharley

I am currently installing my B&W hitch. I took the week off due to the weather. I got as far as drilling the 4" hole.

My question is this..... This hitch gives me approx. 9-12 different height and front to rear positions. I understand that I should set it up with a minimum 6" off the rails. But, what about the front to back postioning in relationship to the axle?

Any opinions??

ct0218

Generally, from over the axle to 2-3 inches in front of it. Most hitches will specify the location, or give you the limits.

phranc

TDHarley.. The last truck,a Ford 350,had the pivot point of the hitch about 3 in forward of the axel. That truck and trailer(jayco 35') rode like a cloud.. The present truck, a Dodge 3500, Has the pivot point about 1" forward of the axel, This was specified in the Reese/Drawtite instructions . Furthermore the brackets use some existing holes in the frame to locate the front/back position.The big horn does not ride as well.. Granted there are 2 different installations , But I feel my present ride would be improved if the hitch could be moved forward 2 or 3 in. It would help in weight ditribution as well by adding some more weight to the front axel, which has plenty of weight carring capacity left.
The Bighorn ride is not objectionable ,just not as smooth. All dishes and furniture stay in place.

5erWonk

TD....I was just looking at the install instructions but I don't see many choices on install location. They give one very specific dimension fron the back edge of the bed to drill your 4" hole, then that sets everything else.

I looked at the 5th wheel companion istructions and did not see any choices for location except over the center post. Like you say there is no reference to relation with the axel.

I'm interested because I am having the same hitch installed in a couple of weeks when I pickup my new rig.

Maybe you should call their support line.

5erWonk

Hey TD,

I looked again at the companion instructions and I do see there are three choices front to back and three vertically....Let us know what you end up doing.

timk

For what its worth, Ive been thinking my truck would ride better if more weight was forward. At the scales, my front axle would move only a few pounds, with the rig on or off. I finally got around to making some mods, moving it only 1.5" forward. Its not night and day difference, but I do think things are better.

But then again, there is a 25% chance, its all in my head.

TimK

5erWonk

I was at the International Ag Expo today in Tulare, CA and found the B&W factory rep there. He had a great cutaway display, he said when the turnover ball is properly mounted it will be 4" in front of the axle centerline. The hitch pin of the 5th wheel companion will then end up anywhere from 1" to 3" in front of axle centerline depending on which mount holes you use, it will never end up on top of axle.

I guess in the end it is a metter of preference whether you go with 1" or 3".

Hope this helps.