PDA

View Full Version : "Babies Wrapped in Love" a community outreach opportunity

dieselsweetheart
02-19-2011, 09:32 AM
Hello ladies!

I am asking a favor from all of the Heartland ladies who love to crochet or knit (or both!).
As babies are near and dear to my heart, I would love to add an item to our offering to the community of Goshen/Elkhart. We are collecting food pantry items, but I would also love to offer something to the new moms and babies of the area who maybe do not have a lot of resources...in the form of warmth and comfort... baby blankets, hats, booties. The Indiana winters are harsh as we have all heard this year (and many experienced!)

I know many of us love to crochet just for fun and to keep busy with a project. There are many knitting clubs out there who donate blankets to local hospitals for the new babies and especially for the preemies in the NICU (I am a long time NICU nurse)...so....

Could I ask each of you crafters to donate a homemade blanket..or perhaps a blanket with matching hat and booties if you are talented to do the hat and booties (I can only make blankets).

I don't know how many of you crochet but I bet a good many. Could I set a goal of 50 blankets?

Many thanks! I know each will be made with love. In fact, the name of this project will be "Babies Wrapped in Love."

kkamshop
02-19-2011, 09:52 AM
Cheryl, I was looking for a project to get me back in knitting again. I'd be happy to make a blanket!

dieselsweetheart
02-19-2011, 10:01 AM
Thank you!!! I appreciate it!!

Ray LeTourneau
02-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Lin is in for some stuff. We'll have to start shopping Garage sales & flea markets for good buys on yarn.

DarInMich
02-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Cheryl,

I'm a new member of this forum, but my husband has been with it for awhile! I've been doing crochet since was 14 years old & would love to do a project I could donate. Count me in for a blanket in crochet with booties & a hat! I have lots of patterns, but will donate at least one set (could do more depending when you'd like the blankets). Is there a time limit? How do we donate the items? I've just joined so I may have missed the information/discussion.

The missus of JohnDar!!

dbylinski
02-19-2011, 04:02 PM
Cheryl, This is definately not in my comfort zone. I have recruited John's mom to make a blanket for me and I'll get everything she needs to do it! So count me in for one!

Additional note: Mom is going to enlist some of her card playin' bud's so we're in for a few blankets! Woohoo!

dieselsweetheart
02-19-2011, 04:55 PM
Hi Mrs JohnDar! Happy to hear from you! And thanks for the blanket and accessories!! The time limit is the rally in Goshen. There is no minimum to your donation...I'd love to have 50 blankets...booties and hats, how ever many I get will be great~

If you are not attending the rally but would like to contribute your blanket of love to a a brand new infant...message me here on the forum. I will send you my home address.

Deb I know you are more a musician than a knitter...so thanks for reaching out to your mom and her card playin' friends!! I know my sister in law Lynne will be in for some as well...

Can't wait to see them all!

dieselsweetheart
02-19-2011, 04:56 PM
Lin and Ray, thank you!!!!!

DarInMich
02-19-2011, 05:48 PM
My husband & I are attending the rally for the first time this year, so I will bring my contributions along with me. I think you can count on me for more than one set since it's in June. I'll see how many I can get done, now that I have a good cause! It'll be interesting to see how many I can do! I've already found a free pattern for a hooded baby afghan from the Lion Brand Yarn. I'll make at least one of those too. That will be good if someone doesn't do hats & booties. FYI! (The pattern has both knit & crochet instructions) The pattern is in the Pound of Love yarn.

dieselsweetheart
02-19-2011, 08:38 PM
Pound of love yarn...gotta love the name!! Thanks sooooooo much! I am currently making a granny square blanket and I have a zigzag started too....I used to know the shell stitch design years ago, I'll have to review it... ok...signing off for the night and picking up the needle and yarn!

dieselsweetheart
02-21-2011, 08:51 AM
I have 2 blankets in the works now. Need to get out and buy more yarn!

kkamshop
02-21-2011, 11:01 PM
Haha, I went to the Hobby Lobby today to pick up some yarn~ can't wait to start, but work gets in the way :(

dieselsweetheart
02-23-2011, 08:39 PM
I saw the Pound of Yarn at Michael's yesterday and it had the picture of the hooded blanket on it. Very cute! I guess you can get an entire blanket out of one pound of yarn...that's nice...no tie-offs. I am almost finished with my granny square blanket...then will pick up my zig zag which I started a few months ago and put down...

dbylinski
02-24-2011, 03:56 AM
My fingers are exhausted from watching my mother-in-law making my blanket! Thankful that I have her talents so I can participate in this wonderful give back! How should we package them when they are done?

dieselsweetheart
02-24-2011, 06:49 PM
I think they will be ok in a zip lock baggie to donate...one of those larger ones. But in the meantime, don't put them in plastic until we go to Goshen. I don't know long-term what the plastic will do to the yarn. Besides, in Goshen, we'd all like to see everyone's beautiful work!!

dbylinski
02-24-2011, 07:28 PM
OK - Got it!

Now, when will we be learning about phase 3!!!! The suspense is killing me!

dieselsweetheart
02-24-2011, 08:15 PM
I don't even know about Phase 3...!!! I think it's in an envelope with a wax seal on the back! Let's just hope it doesn't involve a bank heist.

dieselsweetheart
03-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Hello all, I'd like to keep this thread active and keep it in the front few pages...when threads aren't posted on for a bit they get lost behind all the newer stuff. So this is just me posting to keep the thread updated! How are y'all doing? I started a zigzag and that's got to be the slowest stitch there is! I have about 1/4 of the blanket down and it's in varigated colors...needs to be a girl blanket though. So I have one boy and a girl blanket in the works...

DarInMich
03-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Hi Cheryl,
Just keeping the posts on this more current. I finished 2 baby afghans (1 in white;1 in mint green) with matching booties & hats. I'm addicted to crochet again now! I pick it up whenever I watch the telly or want to relax & listen to music! I find it so relaxing & it's a bonus the items are going to babies in need!! 2 more in the works as we speak. These are in baby blue & a pastel tweed.

dieselsweetheart
03-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Awesome! I can't wait till we can all see them together....my sister in law is working on a nice pastel mix...she has a pattern where you start in a corner and work out...it looks like a big triangle... this is her 2nd she is doing for us. We were at AC Moore today and they had a beautiful orange creme color...so pretty. I am in Myrtle right now where the tax is high so I will wait to get home to buy more. I am finishing my granny square tonight and then need to finish the zig zag... thank you~~

dieselsweetheart
03-13-2011, 09:56 AM
I also started a shell pattern while away in Myrtle and that is looking nice too... I want to find that peach color...so pretty... how are the rest of you doing??

kkamshop
03-13-2011, 10:22 AM
I"m the slowest knitter ever! But I'm about a 1/3 finished with my first blanket. It's gonna take 4 more skeins to finish it...

dieselsweetheart
03-13-2011, 05:51 PM
When you think about it...(especially if you can get the yarn on sale)...it's really not expensive to make a baby blanket! I just wish I knew more patterns.. I want to make up little tie-on tickets that have our Heartland Owners Club on them...and then we can tie them on to the blankets with leftover yarn...so save a string of your yarn for this tie-on...we will do that at Goshen at the ladies table.

katkens-DW
03-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Hi cherly, At the hospital if we have a long term mother to be and she can knit they ask her to make baby hoods. we had one mother who could do 2 or 3 a day. Just a thought I would help but never learned how. You guys are doing a great thing here!!! Kathy

dieselsweetheart
03-14-2011, 08:19 AM
Hi Kathy...it's addicting!! I am lucky to be able to crochet and even needlepoint in the car... once I pick it up it's hard to put down. I worked on mine from Va to PA on the way home on Sat...

dglatta
03-15-2011, 10:13 PM
Hi Cheryl,
Just found a great free pattern for a baby "sack." It looks as if it will be quick to do. I'm excited to get started. This is a great idea.

Kathi

dieselsweetheart
03-16-2011, 01:08 PM
I think it's a great idea too!!! It helps to feed our addiction to our crafts and helps others at the same time!! I am hoping that people read about the project but just aren't posters...and are busy whipping up those blankets...I'd love to have 50 to donate!! Thanks everyone!!

Paul & Nan
03-16-2011, 09:42 PM
I am alternately working on a hooded sweater and a blanket--makes a good "happy hour" project, not to mention will work on while traveling from TX to IL in a few weeks. Know I have yarn at home to use up as well. Nan

dieselsweetheart
03-19-2011, 08:48 AM
Bless you Nan!! I will make sure our donation will be put to the best possible use...helping those who do not have much....

dieselsweetheart
03-20-2011, 01:36 PM
For those of you who would like to help the babies but don't knit or crochet, I received word this morning from an outreach coordinator who told me that last year they were in desperate need of baby food for their shelter. So.... here is a way to contribute and feel good you are making a difference in the lives of a mom and her baby.

Thank you to everyone for your generosity!!

katkens-DW
03-20-2011, 05:24 PM
OK Cherly, Count me in on this I will get some baby food!!!!!Hey it makes me feel good to help. Kathy

JohnDar
03-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Out of curiosity, since we have no experience in feeding babies, what is the best kind/form of baby food to get for this donation?

kkamshop
03-20-2011, 06:04 PM
I think powdered formula like Similac with iron would be a welcome donation and probably jars or the plastic cups of stage 1 and 2 foods as well.

dieselsweetheart
03-20-2011, 06:23 PM
Thank you ladies!! This makes me feel good to read your postings. John and Darlene, I believe the baby food is described on the labels as for infants...that rules out the toddler foods. There are cereals too...probably the rice cereal would be a good choice...it's tolerated by most infants as an early food. Fruits such as applesauce, pears, peaches, and bananas are also good choice. Formula can be pricey, but if you're willing to go that route I would stick with either the Ross Similac Advance or the Mead Johnson formula for infants. Have to be fair to my sales reps...so I need to mention both companies!

navyAZ1
03-21-2011, 05:55 PM
Well I'm responding to this since Miss Ann doesn't do the computer thing. When I told Ann about what I read about this project she got so excited and jumped in the truck and headed for town to find the local Walmart to check out the yarn. We had just arrived at a new oil field gate Thursday and I'm normally the one to go into town to scout out where all the stores and such are, but Ann said "I'm going to check things out and go yarn shopping". So, yes we will be donating a blanket, the one Ann is knitting is kind of a peach color. Looking forward to seeing everyone at the Goshen Rally.

See Ya,

Ron:)

dieselsweetheart
03-22-2011, 05:54 AM
Ron, seriously, that makes me feel so good to read posts like yours! I sooooo appreciate your donation and I even though I haven't met you yet, I can feel Ann's excitement in your description!! Sometimes we drop our crafts because other things come up (RVing perhaps) or we have made a blanket for everyone we know...so having a brand new cause is just the trigger some folks need to pick up those needles (or hook) and get going again!!

Thanks so much!!!!

JohnDar
03-22-2011, 03:25 PM
OK, here's my dummy question #2. Looking online at the Similac powder in a 23 oz. jug, how long does one of those size containers feed a baby? I'm trying to figure out what, in addition to the items that "DarInMich" (my missus) is busily creating, we might sprout for.

dieselsweetheart
03-22-2011, 05:11 PM
The recipe to mix formula is 1 scoop of powder to 2 ozs of water. A newborn might drink 2 ozs of formula every 3-4 hours for about a week and then increase from there... so a baby gets roughly 8 bottles a day. So that's 8 scoops a day. I think what you can do is look at the label to see what the serving size is and how many servings are available once the powder is reconstituted. So technically a can can last less than 2 weeks, depending on the age of the baby and how much he drinks at a time. Babies who are also eating some solids will take less bottles cause they will be full from the solid food.

Does that give you a better idea? I have to say that infant formula seems pricey...but it's because of all the safeguards formula companies have to go through and have in place so the formula is safe... such as no bacteria, pieces of metal, etc. And babies don't eat solids until about 6 months...so the cost to feed them is just in the formula.

Thanks for asking!!!

MI_Postmaster
03-22-2011, 08:24 PM
I have 4 baby quilts that I have made and would be glad to donate for a worthy cause.

Nancy

dieselsweetheart
03-23-2011, 08:33 AM
Nancy...thank you!!!!! Quilts are so lovely and I didn't ask for them because they can be time consuming and expensive to make...but I sure would love to have them as part of the collection!! Thank you so much!!!!

dieselsweetheart
03-28-2011, 07:57 AM
I think we are also going to be making those "sew-less" fleece blankets at the rally ladies' table....so you could also purchase some baby fleece and if you know how to do that...you could make a fleece blanket... if you don't know how to make one, bring the fleece and we can show you!

kkamshop
03-28-2011, 09:59 AM
Cheryl, would that be the double layer tied fringe type blankie? My grandson will be attending the rally with us and he might be able to help with that project.

dieselsweetheart
03-28-2011, 02:04 PM
that's it...here is the link to the "how to do it" on YouTube....this is just one of many....you can also check them out on YouTube...what I did was put in "how to make a fleece tie blanket"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDbdpC7ErB4

dieselsweetheart
03-28-2011, 07:02 PM
Hello everyone...today I spoke with our liaison for our blanket and baby food project. Her name is Marianne and her office is right on the fairgrounds. She will be the one to take our offerings to the women's shelter. She will also come and speak to us about the shelter and also about the other services offered in that area.

dglatta
03-29-2011, 06:31 PM
Cheryl,

I just finished a hat, booties, baby "bag", and am half-done with a baby blanket. I hope to make 2 of these sets in time for the Rally. This is a wonderful project and I greatly appreciate your willingness to take the lead on this. Dave and I taught for many years in a high-poverty building. Having something brand new and made specifically for your baby is a gift that is greatly appreciated. I look forward to meeting all of you in Goshen!

Kathi

dieselsweetheart
03-30-2011, 08:14 AM
Thanks so much Kathi!! I am so happy that the word is getting out about this project...since I added the fleece no-sew blankets I think I can capture some of the no-sewers, no yarn-working people... I myself have 1 finished blanket and 3 in the works and I'd like to get a fleece done at the ladies table in Goshen. I believe we will be turning the blankets over to Marianne on that Friday...

dieselsweetheart
04-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Do we have any new baby blanket volunteers out there? I hope the well hasn't run dry already!!!

cjhicks
04-03-2011, 11:08 PM
Cheryl, Judy went shopping the other day and bought the yarn to make a blanket.
Do we have any new baby blanket volunteers out there? I hope the well hasn't run dry already!!!

dieselsweetheart
04-04-2011, 08:16 AM
Thanks Calvin and Judy!!! Happy knitting or crocheting!!!

DarInMich
04-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Cheryl,

I've gotten 6 afghans done now for my donation. Not sure how many I'll end up with, but I'm working on the next. Just FYI, I picked up some 3 gallon size bags by Ziploc for my blankets. They seem to fit the baby-sized blankets quite nicely & each have a handle. There also is a label on top of each bag if we want to write anything on it. They're nice if anyone else wants to get them for their contributions. I was thinking, do we want to include a little washing instruction label on them? All of mine are in a acrylic yarn, or a blend, to make it easy to wash & they won't cause allergic reactions like wool might. If everyone attaches a label as we go along, it won't be a lot of work. You can actually just cut out the portions of the yarn, or material labels you're using, punch a hole & attach those with thread. What does everyone think?

dieselsweetheart
04-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Dar, already have that covered... I designed a tag with our project name "Babies Wrapped in Love" a gift from the Heartland RV Owners Club... Deb Bylinski is going to print them up for me...I will poke holes in them and we can attach them to the blankets with a thread of matching yarn. You can type up or hand-write the washing directions on the back of that tag. Those ziplock bags are a great idea...in fact I use them for traveling myself...I put the blanket I have finished in one already and it fits very nicely!!

Do you have the gallon size on that bag..? I forget... can you post it for the other crafters? thanks! And thanks that you are doing soooo many!!! You are really quick!! I have one completely done and 3 in the works!

thibideau
04-05-2011, 07:51 AM
Cheryl
You can count on one more baby blanket. Got my yarn and will get going. It's been a while since I knitted/crocheted, but haven't forgotten

DarInMich
04-05-2011, 08:12 AM
Cheryl, writing on back of the tag we're adding works for me! The bags are called Ziploc Big Bags. The one I got comes with 5 bags in a box, they are 3 gallon size, each have a handle & double zippers. They are a blue tint with a white printed label on top. If anyone is interested in getting them for their projects they are about $5 for the box of 5.

dieselsweetheart
04-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Yes Dar that's what the bags are....so...all you non-crafters...if you'd like to bring along some of those ziplock bags...we can use them to put the blankets in... thanks so much!! I can't wait to see them all!

Jane! Happy to see you here on the thread! Thanks so much!! I really appreciate everyone coming together for this!!

dieselsweetheart
04-11-2011, 08:10 AM
I finished my 2nd blanket and am 1/2 way through the 3rd...which is turning out really big and probably more suitable for a big "kids" bed.. I ripped out one blanket cause I had made a mistake that really didn't look right so I will start that one over.

Don't forget to save a piece of matching yarn for the tie-on....

dbylinski
04-11-2011, 09:52 AM
Mom just finished her second blanket and has a friend making a matching hat! This completes my rendition of how to crochet or knit without ever picking up the needle and yarn. Thanks mom! Altogether 3 blankets with matching hats coming your way!

dieselsweetheart
04-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Thanks Deb! and special thanks to your mom for her hard work!!!! How is the fleece coming along? Bring it next w/e! I think I'll pick up a piece by then...

dglatta
04-17-2011, 12:31 AM
Cheryl-
4 sets of booties, 4 hats, 1 baby sack, 1 baby blanket--done. Second baby sack and baby blanket in the works. Any idea how close you are to the goal of 50 blankets? Hope to get more done before mid-June.
Kathi

MI_Postmaster
04-17-2011, 11:36 AM
I have 10 baby quilts & 1 crib size quilt finished. What are baby sacks?

Nancy

dieselsweetheart
04-17-2011, 06:21 PM
You ladies are awesome!!! I have NOOOOOO idea how close we are to 50 but I'm betting pretty darn close!! I'm hoping that with my letter that went out (with Jim Beletti's help) we will capture more crafters than we know about in this thread! I can't wait till we can all be together to see what we did!!

Kathi, what is a baby sack? Is it like a blanket hemmed at the bottom?

MI_Postmaster
04-17-2011, 07:19 PM
I have been able to make the quilts by telling people at our church and local thrift store that I was making quilts for babies. They donated most of the fabric, quilting supplies, patterns, and ideas. They are always asking what my next quilt will be. It has become a real community project with all their help.

Nancy

dieselsweetheart
04-18-2011, 08:18 AM
Nancy that is awesome!!! I am planning something for us to take back to those who have helped us....

dglatta
04-18-2011, 08:07 PM
Nancy,
Baby sacks look like a big gym sock! They are designed for new babies. They fit in and are kind of swaddled. They weren't around when our kids were little. I found the pattern on a free knitting pattern site. There were lots of different options for patterns.
Kathi

dieselsweetheart
04-19-2011, 07:59 AM
oh, sort of like a Christmas stocking? They sound cute!!!

mjatwalker
04-19-2011, 02:41 PM
I have two fleece baby blankets to contribute. I'll bring them with me this w/e for "show and tell".

dieselsweetheart
04-19-2011, 02:42 PM
Thanks Mike and Ann!!!

dbylinski
04-19-2011, 08:00 PM
This weekend you will also get 1 fleece, 3 crocheted with hats and 100 tags for Goshen.

dieselsweetheart
04-20-2011, 03:58 PM
Thanks!! What great friends I have!!!

dbylinski
04-20-2011, 06:40 PM
Thanks!! What great friends I have!!!

Ditto Girlfriend - It's called Teamwork!!!

dieselsweetheart
04-21-2011, 08:14 AM
I am excited to see the prototype for the tags for our blankets...beautiful!! And I'm excited to show them to you in Goshen....my good friend and sister chapter leader Deb Bylinski (editor of the newsletter) has such a talent for design and production and has graciously taken on that project. There are going to be 100 tags and I hope that we use up most of them!!! Can we do it??? I challenge you!! Thanks again! I am almost finished with my ripple...I am on the last skein....then on to something else!12790

dieselsweetheart
04-21-2011, 08:15 AM
The tags will be tied on to your gift with a thread of yarn.... aren't they lovely??

dieselsweetheart
04-25-2011, 12:29 PM
I have 6 blankets in my house right now...all different patterns and colors! Over the w/e met with other chapter leaders and they also have (altogether) about 5 or 6 more...I am starting another one and I have the promise of 2 more from my niece...don't forget if you are a non-crocheter/knitting the tied fleece blankets are lovely as well! So don't hold back!! The tie-on tags are the perfect touch to finish off the blankets..and I have put them each in a 3 gallon ziplock bag you can find at Walmart, Target, Kmart...and such. They might not be at your local grocery because they are larger.

dieselsweetheart
04-30-2011, 07:42 PM
How is everyone doing? I hate not to have activity on the thread and then it gets buried... if we chat every couple of days that should keep the thread active. I have 5 blankets in ziplocks on my kitchen table! Working on another one....would like to get one more kicked out before Goshen...

dbylinski
05-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Cheryl, I still have not been able to locate the three gallon bags. I have 5 blankets. If possible could you bring bags to the Jersey Rally for which I will gladly repay you Tuesday?

dieselsweetheart
05-01-2011, 08:19 PM
Not a problem. In fact I bought some at the Giant today and they were the really big ones....so we can put a couple of them in one of those! I will be sure to bring some along...did everyone else find them ok??

bdb2047
05-02-2011, 06:31 PM
Hi,if you keeping track Eileen has 5 to bring.Should get to meet you all in Goshen,tried to get a site for Pa rally but could not get a respose.

MrsSouthernNights
05-02-2011, 06:45 PM
I have 4 crochet blankets to add to your number :)

dbylinski
05-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Oh Cheryl, Do we have enough tags? Looking back through the threads and we should be around your target of 50 blankets right now. We will also be bringing some baby food donations for ya!

dbylinski
05-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Hi,if you keeping track Eileen has 5 to bring.Should get to meet you all in Goshen,tried to get a site for Pa rally but could not get a respose.

Eileen, Please keep calling as some of us have had a problem connecting with the CG. You won't regret the extra effort trying to make a reservation. Cheryl and Jim put on great and very entertaining rallies. Ain't dat right kids?

dieselsweetheart
05-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Dat would be right.....please keep trying...there should be someone there full time now!! Did you leave a message?? Let me know ASAP and I will call him myself.... we do have sites available!!!

dglatta
05-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Cheryl-
2nd blanket finished today. Still need to finish the second baby sack. That will mean that each baby blanket/baby sack will come with a matching hat and pair of booties. I don't know if I will get anything else done before June. I still need to buy bags. That's on my "to-do" list before we leave. I've made sure that I have extra yarn to attach the tags. Am I forgetting anything? I have to remember to get all of this back to the fifth-wheel before we leave. That would be just like me. . . .Get all of this done and then leave it all at home!!

Kathi

dieselsweetheart
05-05-2011, 05:55 AM
Kathi, if you can't find the bags I will have a few extra...but check Walmart or Target...places like that. Also, the tags already have yarn on them...courtesy of my wonderful assistant Deb Bylinski.... I asked for tags and boy did she deliver!! Thanks again!!! We are going to do so much good with these blankets...and we will end up doing a presentation over lunch!!! Details to follow...

dbylinski
05-05-2011, 12:46 PM
Kathi, if you can't find the bags I will have a few extra...but check Walmart or Target...places like that. Also, the tags already have yarn on them...courtesy of my wonderful assistant Deb Bylinski.... I asked for tags and boy did she deliver!! Thanks again!!! We are going to do so much good with these blankets...and we will end up doing a presentation over lunch!!! Details to follow...

Hey Cheryl, mom's friend made another blanket so please up my borrowage to 6 bags! This one is soooo cute! It has a matching little sweater and hat! I am so good at begging from the right people!

dieselsweetheart
05-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Deb!! Thanks so much!! We are rockin' !!!! Be sure to thank your mom's friend for me!!!

dbylinski
05-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Deb!! Thanks so much!! We are rockin' !!!! Be sure to thank your mom's friend for me!!!

I am putting together a some thank you cards for Mom and her friends! Thought it would be nice if we all signed them in Goshen and maybe enclosed a picture of the turnover event. Just one more thing I have to remember to put in the camper before we leave.

Also, while grocery shopping today I picked up some similac powder. Is this stuff good? Powdered formula wasn't in my motherhood experiences. I checked expiration dates and it appears it will be fine if purchased ahead of time.

dieselsweetheart
05-05-2011, 05:42 PM
Similac powder is fine!! Thanks! See your facebook inbox....

dieselsweetheart
05-11-2011, 10:30 AM
On that Friday of the rally we will be hosting a luncheon from 11-1 when we will present the blankets to the person representing the shelter where our blankets will go...please plan to attend this luncheon to celebrate the Babies Wrapped in Love program..

Thank you!

dbylinski
05-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Very cool! I'll plan to be there for sure!

dieselsweetheart
05-19-2011, 08:51 AM
Good morning.... I am planning on giving out a memento at the Goshen ceremony for all who are contributing to the BWIL program...whether you donate baby food/blankets/hats/booties.... please send me your name in my inbox...this will save me time in Goshen... thanks in advance for all you are doing for the little ones and their moms...

jimtoo
05-19-2011, 07:42 PM
Hi Cheryl,

We will be bringing one also. It will be made by my sister for us, since neither of us are talented in that area of expertise. Do you need her name now or what.

This is a great thing you are doing, I just hope it is appreciated by the folks that will receive them.

Jim M

dieselsweetheart
05-19-2011, 08:13 PM
One thing about donating time and supplies such as this...no matter what you are doing for the community...from building to clean-up, to donating food or money.... it does make you feel good. I enjoy helping others...and if I had more I would give it. Because of my knee injury last year I lost my full time status at work and the $$$ that goes with it...it really bothers me that I haven't been able to donate as much as I am used to...but this project and other volunteer projects through Heartland will go a long way for folks who are less fortunate than us. The Heartland owners club is an excellent example of brotherhood and sharing what we can and I am proud to be a part of the club!

dieselsweetheart
05-25-2011, 07:48 AM
Finished another blanket and now working to finish the last one in my collection...I think I will have 5 made...my kitchen table is full of blankets from other donors and I have received a nice donation of baby food.... time is ticking down... soon time for us all to be together in Goshen!!!

Thanks everyone!!

jimtoo
05-29-2011, 10:59 AM
Hi Cheryl,

My sweet sister delivered two blankets to us to donate.

See you in Goshen.

Jim M

MrsSouthernNights
05-29-2011, 03:58 PM
Cheryl, Since we cannot make the Goshen Rally, I am sending 7 hats and 4 snuggie blankets (the snuggie blankets are not to keep warm with but for the little ones to have something soft to snuggle - that's how I came to the name Snuggie! )
Am sending to Dorothy and she will deliver from both of us..... :)

dieselsweetheart
05-30-2011, 06:13 PM
thanks Sam!! I didn't know you weren't coming to Goshen.... sorry to hear that! I will miss you and Larry!! Thank you so much for the donation!!!!

dieselsweetheart
06-06-2011, 09:19 PM
JimToo...thanks to your sister! I will have something for her in Goshen....

dieselsweetheart
06-06-2011, 09:23 PM
Just a reminder as we are winding down the days to the start of the rally....don't forget!
Blankets, blankets, and more blankets....!! Let's get as many as we can! I think I now have 10 here on my table... I set a goal of 50. Wow me folks!! Can we do more?

As a reminder, if you are making the fleece tie blanket, we will be working on them at the ladies craft table through the week. Just bring a 48 X 60 panel and a matching panel (so the blanket is reversible)...

For all you non-crafty folks...remember the baby food is needed too!

I thank you from the bottom of my heart and can't wait to see you all in Goshen! Remember the lunch from 11-1p on Friday to present the blankets!

dieselsweetheart
06-20-2011, 04:44 PM
For those of you who attended the presentation on Friday morning, you know we did an awesome job for the babies at the shelter!!! Remember my goal of 50 blankets? How about 189 blankets??!!! And 90 hats, 15 sets of booties (if memory on the booties serves).... and although I didn't have time to count the baby food (I will change things around for next time)...I think there were about 200 items of food...and maybe more. I myself had donations from my co-workers so I brought about 60 pieces...so maybe 250 pieces of baby food? However many, I was overwhelmed by the outpouring of support for an idea I had back on a snowy February evening. I can't express enough my gratitude to everyone who participated. To those of you who donated in PA but didn't go on to Goshen...can you believe this?? To those of you who donated but couldn't stay for the lunch...I thank you for stopping by....

I was also part of the food bank collection team and I know that sometimes we can run too many projects and ask for too much. But we collected over 1.200 items (almost 1,300) for the food bank. That's an awesome amount!!! We team members thank you for the support you showed for that "give back" project as well.

So, is the BWIL project worth re-visiting in Goshen in 2 years? I think so. And from what I heard at the lunch, I think many of you thought so too... so, give yourselves a well round of applause, and a much needed rest....and when the weather gets cooler again...get your needles or crochet hook back out and think of the babies in Goshen/Elkhart county...

Bless you all and a big hug from me!!!

dieselsweetheart
06-24-2011, 02:48 PM
I need to update my numbers to include the sweaters made by ladies....we had a donation of 7 sweaters as well. (I just found notes Beth Dean kept for me).... and 14 pairs of booties... and 93 hats!! That's amazing! I have written to Marianne and asked her to keep in touch with me as to the disbursement of those items.

You know I won a $25 gift card for Michaels....sweet justice, right???

truknutt
06-24-2011, 08:32 PM
You know I won a $25 gift card for Michaels....sweet justice, right???

It's okay Jim, we know YOU won the card!!