"Babies Wrapped in Love" a community outreach opportunity

dieselsweetheart

Re: Babies for us...for the crafty ladies

I think we are also going to be making those "sew-less" fleece blankets at the rally ladies' table....so you could also purchase some baby fleece and if you know how to do that...you could make a fleece blanket... if you don't know how to make one, bring the fleece and we can show you!

kkamshop

Cheryl, would that be the double layer tied fringe type blankie? My grandson will be attending the rally with us and he might be able to help with that project.

dieselsweetheart

Hello everyone...today I spoke with our liaison for our blanket and baby food project. Her name is Marianne and her office is right on the fairgrounds. She will be the one to take our offerings to the women's shelter. She will also come and speak to us about the shelter and also about the other services offered in that area.

dglatta

Cheryl,

I just finished a hat, booties, baby "bag", and am half-done with a baby blanket. I hope to make 2 of these sets in time for the Rally. This is a wonderful project and I greatly appreciate your willingness to take the lead on this. Dave and I taught for many years in a high-poverty building. Having something brand new and made specifically for your baby is a gift that is greatly appreciated. I look forward to meeting all of you in Goshen!

Kathi

dieselsweetheart

Thanks so much Kathi!! I am so happy that the word is getting out about this project...since I added the fleece no-sew blankets I think I can capture some of the no-sewers, no yarn-working people... I myself have 1 finished blanket and 3 in the works and I'd like to get a fleece done at the ladies table in Goshen. I believe we will be turning the blankets over to Marianne on that Friday...

dieselsweetheart

Do we have any new baby blanket volunteers out there? I hope the well hasn't run dry already!!!

DarInMich

Cheryl,

I've gotten 6 afghans done now for my donation. Not sure how many I'll end up with, but I'm working on the next. Just FYI, I picked up some 3 gallon size bags by Ziploc for my blankets. They seem to fit the baby-sized blankets quite nicely & each have a handle. There also is a label on top of each bag if we want to write anything on it. They're nice if anyone else wants to get them for their contributions. I was thinking, do we want to include a little washing instruction label on them? All of mine are in a acrylic yarn, or a blend, to make it easy to wash & they won't cause allergic reactions like wool might. If everyone attaches a label as we go along, it won't be a lot of work. You can actually just cut out the portions of the yarn, or material labels you're using, punch a hole & attach those with thread. What does everyone think?

dieselsweetheart

Dar, already have that covered... I designed a tag with our project name "Babies Wrapped in Love" a gift from the Heartland RV Owners Club... Deb Bylinski is going to print them up for me...I will poke holes in them and we can attach them to the blankets with a thread of matching yarn. You can type up or hand-write the washing directions on the back of that tag. Those ziplock bags are a great idea...in fact I use them for traveling myself...I put the blanket I have finished in one already and it fits very nicely!!

Do you have the gallon size on that bag..? I forget... can you post it for the other crafters? thanks! And thanks that you are doing soooo many!!! You are really quick!! I have one completely done and 3 in the works!

thibideau

Cheryl
You can count on one more baby blanket. Got my yarn and will get going. It's been a while since I knitted/crocheted, but haven't forgotten

DarInMich

Cheryl, writing on back of the tag we're adding works for me! The bags are called Ziploc Big Bags. The one I got comes with 5 bags in a box, they are 3 gallon size, each have a handle & double zippers. They are a blue tint with a white printed label on top. If anyone is interested in getting them for their projects they are about $5 for the box of 5.

dieselsweetheart

Yes Dar that's what the bags are....so...all you non-crafters...if you'd like to bring along some of those ziplock bags...we can use them to put the blankets in... thanks so much!! I can't wait to see them all!

Jane! Happy to see you here on the thread! Thanks so much!! I really appreciate everyone coming together for this!!

dieselsweetheart

I finished my 2nd blanket and am 1/2 way through the 3rd...which is turning out really big and probably more suitable for a big "kids" bed.. I ripped out one blanket cause I had made a mistake that really didn't look right so I will start that one over.

Don't forget to save a piece of matching yarn for the tie-on....

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired

Mom just finished her second blanket and has a friend making a matching hat! This completes my rendition of how to crochet or knit without ever picking up the needle and yarn. Thanks mom! Altogether 3 blankets with matching hats coming your way!

dieselsweetheart

Thanks Deb! and special thanks to your mom for her hard work!!!! How is the fleece coming along? Bring it next w/e! I think I'll pick up a piece by then...

dglatta

Cheryl-
4 sets of booties, 4 hats, 1 baby sack, 1 baby blanket--done. Second baby sack and baby blanket in the works. Any idea how close you are to the goal of 50 blankets? Hope to get more done before mid-June.
Kathi

dieselsweetheart

You ladies are awesome!!! I have NOOOOOO idea how close we are to 50 but I'm betting pretty darn close!! I'm hoping that with my letter that went out (with Jim Beletti's help) we will capture more crafters than we know about in this thread! I can't wait till we can all be together to see what we did!!

Kathi, what is a baby sack? Is it like a blanket hemmed at the bottom?