Waste tank flush

jpajax

I have read that you are not to flush the tank with out the waste gate open. My question is what would it hurt to fill the tank with small amount of water with the gate closed sense there are vents to relive the pressure. It is a easy way to fill tank for a real good flush out.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Re: Wast tank flush

I have read that you are not to flush the tank with out the waste gate open. My question is what would it hurt to fill the tank with small amount of water with the gate closed sense there are vents to relive the pressure. It is a easy way to fill tank for a real good flush out.

Just don't start a conversation with anyone or wander off for even a minute.

jnbhobe

I do that 2 or 3 times just don't go away of loose focus of what your doing

gasman

Camp Socializer

It's kind of like leaving a pan on the stove unattended. It's real easy to get distracted and end up with big trouble.

Northern Virginia

Yea, I think the only reason not to flush the tank with the gate open is the horrible disaster you would create in your rig IF you got distracted.

John

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Exactly what the others have said. I know of more than one that thought it was a good idea to fill the tank a bit with the flusher. Turns out it wasn't such a good idea.

Peace
Dave

davebennington

I will admit I have turned the flusher on with the gate closed and got distracted, you cannot believe the mess it makes and the grief that you get from your wife is never ending.

Now I do not leave the flusher on without the gate valve being open.

dave

ultrafarmer

I run some water in all the time, I monitor the panel and when about half full I dump it. Then I try to run about 10 gal. in and leave it in, sure makes dumping next time a lot easier and a more liquid flush.

jpajax

Thanks that was what I thought. I do this when I am breaking camp to get a good clean out just didn't want to hurt anything.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I do it all the time. I just don't leave to do anything else and I actually time how long I'm filling it. Usually no more than 2 minutes before dumping again. If I think it still needs more "movement," I shut off the tank flush and go to the HydroFlush and back flush it a couple of times, keeping a eye on the timer.

noobee

I usually do a number of cycles: 4-5 minutes with the gate closed followed by 4-5 minutes with the gate open. Usually have to do the cycle at least 5 times to get rid of all the waste.

BTW: I did leave in closed for too long once. Dump water dripped onto my converter & killed it... MY VERY BAD!

CS

TBlack

I close valve fill for 10 min. then dump. Seems to work better then just flusing with valve open. Use kitchen timer so I don"t forget about it.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

Exactly what the others have said. I know of more than one that thought it was a good idea to fill the tank a bit with the flusher. Turns out it wasn't such a good idea.

Peace
Dave
Been there, done that. ONCE!

I still close the valve to get more water in the tank but I stay right there so I don't repeat my disaster from earlier days.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders

When I flush my blackwater tank, I stand near the valve and use my cell phone as a timer which I hold in my hand and arbitrarily chose 4 minutes of filling before opening the valve to drain the tank.

HappyKayakers

I've been fulltiming in my BH since '06 and always refill the black tank after dumping. I usually let the sprayer run for about 10 mins although that can vary depending on the water flow at each campground. I time it with a stopwatch and never let anyone distract me. If I'm concerned about the tank filling quicker than expected, I'll duck back inside and see if the toilet is burping yet. My guess is that a lawyer insisted on the verbiage in the owner's manual.