What Do You Use to Remove Old Joint Material When Re-Sealing

floridarandy

OK...you've told me that before you try and re-seal joints try and remove the old material so you get good bond with the new material.

1. What do you use to remove the old material without damaging the surrounding surfaces?

2. How do you clean/prep the surface, after removal as described by your recommendations in #1, before re-sealing.

Thanks

Randy

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There is a tool you can buy called a caulk remover. It's plastic and cuts the old caulk out. HERE is what they look like. You should be able to find one at a hardware store or a place like The Home Depot.
I use mineral spirits for cleaning the surface before caulking.

Peace
Dave

Hello Randy,

I do a lot of home Reno’s and when I have to repair / replace old sealing compound, the first thing is to remove all loose and cracked compound. Do not use any metal object as it will damage the surface. The tool that Cookie said to use works great. After you have removed all the old / damaged compound, I run my finger along the joint (as long as there is no sharp edges, if so, repair them as well). I then use mineral spirits. Make sure the mineral spirits is clean as well as the rag you are using. Make sure you get all the dirt off any compound that is remaining.

ow, this is very important, do not leave the rag with mineral spirits on it in a ball. It can catch fire if left. Lay it flat and let it dry first before discarding.

Hope this helps,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Pat & Leona Skanes
Member Number: 1833
Region: Canada
Chapter: Ontario
<o:p> </o:p>
2011 Landmark
Grand Canyon
2006 GMC Sierra 2500 HD, Duramax with Allison Trans., 4X4,