Black Tank Valve doesn't close completely

danemayer

Recently, I've started to accumulate quite a lot of waste water in the sewer pipe and notice that the blank tank valve cable handle doesn't go in as far as the grays do. I've seen the threads about putting an extra gate valve at the sewer line exit, and have one, but I'm wondering if maybe there's something stuck in the valve, preventing it from closing fully.

Has anyone tried using a brush to clean the gate valve? I'm thinking of something like this.
My thought is to put it down the toilet and try to feed it until it's in the valve and then rotate to dislodge whatever might be holding the valve open.

I'm also going to add the 2nd gate valve, but I'd like to get back to where the leakage is only a couple of fluid ounces, as it used to be.

Thoughts?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think you will get very far going down the toilet. I think going up from the drain will be sure to get you to the valve. I had the same situation in my last BH. I wound up taking the belly down an taking the valve apart.

Peace
Dave

rebootsemi

Probably have some sewer trout hanging up in the valve, the brush would work if you could get it into the actual pipe. Going back up the pipe from the end would be a 50/50 chance of getting it into the black tank valve or the gray valve. I would try adding a lot of water to the black tank with a garden hose down through the toilet and if you can slosh it around a lot by moving the trailer back and forth, then dump the whole thing. You could push water with a hose from the end back onto the tank but that could get real messy. Lastly do ash Dave has suggested and take the valve apart.

GOTTOYS

Try using a Flush King to do a good back flush. It's a fitting that goes on the end of the pipe coming from the tanks that has a shut off valve and a hose fitting. You can push water into your tanks with it. I use mine often to back flush the gray tanks as well. Not very expensive and well worth having. I also added a spin on gate valve right at the end of my sewer pipe more as a safety precaution than anything. I leave it on there after getting a shower when I went to drain my black tank the first time. Dealer didn't do a proper PDI and my black tank valve wouldn't shut off all the way. That's how we learn...I'll never be without that extra valve again....Don

danemayer

It's leaking all the time - if I put a couple of gallons in the tank after flushing, it all leaks into the drain pipe. I've tried extensive flushing, including a backflush spray from a Flush King device. The spray doesn't seem like it really goes very far, so I've let it fill the sewer hose while I hold the hose up causing water flow back into the system (gray valves closed. black valve open).

rebootsemi

It's leaking all the time - if I put a couple of gallons in the tank after flushing, it all leaks into the drain pipe. I've tried extensive flushing, including a backflush spray from a Flush King device. The spray doesn't seem like it really goes very far, so I've let it fill the sewer hose while I hold the hose up causing water flow back into the system (gray valves closed. black valve open).

Would your Landmark still be under warranty? I know wishful thinking. Looks like it is time to take down the under cover and take the valve apart or replace it. I don't really like the idea of adding the 2nd valve out at the end of the drain pipe, think of it this way: if your black tank is near full what happens if you open the valve for your front gray tank before you open the valve at the end of the drain pipe? You would back flow into the gray tank. On ours the two front tanks use the same drain pipe.

olcoon

We had a problem with the gray tank on our 2011 Elk Ridge. It was leaking all the time. Took it to the dealer & they adjusted the cable...got it home & it was still leaking. Took it back to them the next day & it was the seal on the gate valve. Don't know if they screwed it up when they installed it at the factory, or just didn't pay attentenion when installing it, but it almost looked like the seal was twisted.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Attach the Flush King, open the black tank valve and partially backfill the tank enough to get standing water past the main tank valve. Let it sit for a while and maybe whatever is stuck in the valve seat may soften and come out on its own. You can also work the valve a bit and it may help pull it out. Trying to force the valve closed may only pack it in tighter, though. There is also the possibility, unfortunately, that some left over construction debris has gotten stuck there.

danemayer

I was hoping someone had already experienced this and knew a simple way to solve the problem. I spent about an hour and a half yesterday flushing, filling, soaking, backflushing trying to wash away any pieces of sewer trout or tp that might be jammed in the valve.

We are still under warranty for another 4 months, so I may give Heartland and our local dealer a call. Sigh. I'm getting way to familiar with the dealer tech team.

jpajax

Mine has the same problem took it to dealer under warranty their fix was to put a main gate value were you hook up your hose.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Putting another valve on it would not be an option for me. It didnt come that way from the factory. The dealer is just trying to cover the problem. As I see it, take it back tO the dealer and have them fix it correctly. No way to tell if it has or has not got a problem unless they pull the belly pan and look at the valve. To many people just want to get the issue fixed and make a quick buck. Make them do their work correctly. IMHO that is.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Sometimes what happens is this...when the hole for the sewer pipe is cut in the tank the round cutout falls into the tank. It is left in there and most likely will eventually work its way to the cutout hole. The piece sometimes gets stuck in the valve and sometimes works it way out the pipe. It may be stuck in the valve in your case. Just another possibility. However if it is in warranty I would let the dealer deal with the mess.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Sometimes waiting for the dealer to make it "right" requires a lot of patience. I would always prefer to have something done correctly, the first time.
In this case however,I would spend 10 bucks and put an extra valve at the cap to catch any future malfunctions. Even if the dealer does fix it this would be a handy failsafe.
I had a situation where I dumped and moved to another location, opened the cap to connect my sewer hose and whammo; black tank waste all over the ground that was trapped and did not flush!
The secondary valve suggested here is a good idea that would have prevented that. I am going to install one at the earliest opportunity.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Sometimes waiting for the dealer to make it "right" requires a lot of patience. I would always prefer to have something done correctly, the first time.
In this case however,I would spend 10 bucks and put an extra valve at the cap to catch any future malfunctions. Even if the dealer does fix it this would be a handy failsafe.
I had a situation where I dumped and moved to another location, opened the cap to connect my sewer hose and whammo; black tank waste all over the ground that was trapped and did not flush!
The secondary valve suggested here is a good idea that would have prevented that. I am going to install one at the earliest opportunity.

Not only a secondary gate valve but a cap on the end that has a smaller opening (garden hose size) that can be left open when the larger cap is put on. I leave this smaller cap off to prevent any surprises.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Not only a secondary gate valve but a cap on the end that has a smaller opening (garden hose size) that can be left open when the larger cap is put on. I leave this smaller cap off to prevent any surprises.

Jim, Great idea. I had one on my SOB. Haven't gotten around to one for the BH.
I actually went to a campground (somewhere?), where they only allowed dumping gray water with a garden hose, through the garden hose fitting on the one you suggested.
They wouldn't even allow you to remove the large cap.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I was saying that a dealer putting a valve on the end of the sewer line instead of fixing the problem is wrong. If one wants to add one himself, I believe it would be a good thing also. But if things are working correctly you should not nerd one.

I am having the same issue with my new coach. So for a temp fix, I may do the same. But once it goes to the dealer for repairs, it will come off because I want them to see what I am seeing. And maybe having it pour on his shoes might make him dig a little deeper. IMHO

HappyKayakers

I've had 2 leaking valve problems since getting my BH 5 yrs ago. One of the gray tanks was leaking due to a cutout not allowing the valve to close completely. I fixed that one myself but if I'd taken it to a dealer I would've expected that to be covered under warranty. I also had a leaking black tank valve. Took that one apart also and found TP stuck in the valve. I would NOT expect that to be covered by warranty.
I also have the extra blade valve at the end of the pipe. Even with all other valves functioning perfectly, I like having it on there. Usually some type of water remains in the pipes after dumping, making itself known at the next destination as soon as you unscrew the cap. I read one story where pranksters went around a campground. On the trailers that had their sewer caps in place, they would pull the valves, then close them again so the sewer pipe was full but the owner wouldn't know until they removed the cap.