PDA

View Full Version : wallpaper border

twohappycampers
08-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Anyone know if the wallpaper border can be peeled off without damaging the material underneath? I don't much care for it. Thanks.

kakampers
08-20-2011, 10:26 AM
I took some of mine off in my '08...peels off real easy, just find a corner and peel carefully...no damage whatsoever....

dbylinski
08-20-2011, 10:29 AM
We also removed some in our 09 3055. It came off easily without any damage but you have to be slow and careful.

twohappycampers
08-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Thanks for your replies so far - how quick of you! Now I just have to convince my husband - or I could just do it and see if he even notices. :) Oh, wait, does it come off in good enough shape, all in one piece, that one could put it back on? Now, that's just craaaazy! Don't mind me. Lorna

archbarb
08-20-2011, 10:53 AM
When we ordered our unit we chose not have the wallpaper border added. We did't really care for the apperance of it!!!!!

As far as removing, couldn't you apply a hot cloth and let soak for a few minutes to soften the glue, then peel off.

Archie

Ray LeTourneau
08-20-2011, 11:50 AM
Thanks for your replies so far - how quick of you! Now I just have to convince my husband - or I could just do it and see if he even notices. :) Oh, wait, does it come off in good enough shape, all in one piece, that one could put it back on? Now, that's just craaaazy! Don't mind me. Lorna
Lin started peeling ours before I noticed. I like the look a lot better without the border. She started in the WC where it would be least noticed. We did the whole rig within a few days. Sometimes it leaves a slight residue that is easily removed with rubbing alcohol or goo gone. Attached are a few older pics without the border.

OMG, these pictures are before the wood blinds and replacing the RV furniture with residential stuff.

hillsonwheels
08-20-2011, 09:57 PM
Surprised my bride by removing our border while she was away. She did not like it. Once you make a cut at trim pieces with a sharp knife, you need to pull the trim very slowly and at a sharp backward angle for best removal. And, wipe down with a sovent is a good idea.

Dick

clubmgr
08-20-2011, 11:12 PM
Took ours off too. Looks so-o-o much better without it. Goo Gone works well to get any residual glue/sticky off

twohappycampers
08-24-2011, 03:10 PM
Hi to all who wrote about the wallpaper borders. (Maybe "borders" isn't really the correct term, seeing as they run half-way up the wall, but ... ) Seems like there are enough of us that don't like them that the factory should make the borders the "option", and not the plain walls the "option". I tried a small piece by the door where it didn't need to be anyway, and discovered it's not technically wallpaper, but a kind of self-stick plastic with the background being clear so the wall shows through underneath, and then a pattern printed on top. Anyway, came off quite easily just by peeling it off, and left no residue whatsoever and didn't do any damage to the wall underneath. Thanks for all your tips! and the pictures really helped me get a feel of what it would look like once they're removed. I, too, prefer the cleaner look. I admit I haven't done any more than that little bit. My dilemma - doing it without telling hubby and then find out he loved it! Or telling him my intentions first, finding out he loves it, then being stuck with it because I want to keep him happy. Now that I've written all that, I realize what a big deal I'm making out of such a small deal, with all that's going on in the world these days, I ought to be ashamed of myself. :(

dieselsweetheart
08-24-2011, 03:38 PM
If you have to live in your camper you should have it the way you want it. I never thought about taking the wallpaper off...guess I don't mind it as much as y'all do!

RanCarr
08-24-2011, 05:26 PM
We don't like the border either. I wish Heartland had left it off. It's a poor and colorless design in browns and grays. Very blah. I wish it was more colorful and cheerful looking. I see such pretty borders in the stores and online. I may try and peel it off when we get back home.

twohappycampers
08-24-2011, 05:52 PM
Just an idea - if you like a border, rather than going to the trouble of removing the blah one, just apply one you DO you like over it. Maybe the store-bought ones aren't the same width, I don't know, and maybe they wouldn't stick to the current ones, I don't know that either. Big help, hey? Just thinking that would save removing the old ones, and you'd have the old ones as a placement guide. Maybe someone else has tried this already and can jump in?

twohappycampers
08-31-2011, 10:40 AM
All the border is gone!!:) And I'm liking it so much better! Thanks to everyone who walked me through it. The pictures you sent were a big help in being able to picture the finished product. The whole job took me less than an hour. It all came off easily, and the pencil marks just erased away. I didn't discuss it with Doug beforehand - knew he'd argue with me about it, and then I'd go ahead and do it anyways, and then I'd have to convince him that it looked better without the border, blah blah blah Besides, got to thinking that it was quite likely that he wouldn't even notice - and it's been a couple of days and sure enough, not a word. Sometime in the future maybe I'll say something, and he'll say "what border?" :D I saved a piece to show him.

Ray LeTourneau
08-31-2011, 12:48 PM
Way to go Lorna! It will be interesting to hear how Doug responds when he finally realizes it's gone.

twohappycampers
08-31-2011, 02:54 PM
Thanks! Won't be holding my breath :rolleyes:

Marge
08-31-2011, 06:46 PM
We have been talking about taking it off a lot. Besides many place I have to keep sticking it back on anyway. LOL it's like it just wants to be removed!

twohappycampers
08-31-2011, 06:54 PM
Know what you mean. When I started with the idea, took a close look and saw how poorly it was applied, then it really started bugging me that it was there. It kept calling out to me :) Funny how many people don't like it, and yet they keep putting it on, hey?

Marge
09-01-2011, 06:49 AM
Yep, I already decided to take it off this weekend. Atleast in one area and then see how we like it.

twohappycampers
09-01-2011, 02:58 PM
Hey there, Marge. Good luck with that! Know what I found? With just a piece or two removed, I started doubting myself. I think because it looked strange with some gone and some still there. And then with it all gone, it still looked pretty strange. I think because I'd gotten used to the border, even though I didn't like it. Only took a little while, though, and I was convinced I'd made the right move. And now it leaves me free to introduce some patterns in curtains or pillows or hang pictures without having to take the border into account.... Now to decide what accent colour I might like to try to brighten up all this brown.

Have fun this weekend, and take good care! Lorna

PS Hubby still hasn't noticed. Don't think he ever will :D Oh, I shouldn't make fun of the poor guy, he's got a lot on his mind these days!

Marge
09-04-2011, 05:03 PM
My H and I tore it all off yesterday! and we love the difference it made.

We have been putting up vintage advertising posters and vintage luggage stickers here and there, we didn't want to hang anything up we would have to take down all the time while traveling and nothing heavy, so this is working out perfectly for us.

It is killing us to stay home this weekend, but toward the end of September I have 10 days in a row off. So we will be going on a trip to the coast then.

gjackson
09-22-2011, 04:51 PM
You all got me going - I removed the border but notice some stickiness on the wall. Do you think goo-gone would work? I'm afraid it might leave a stain. Any advice would be appreciated. By the way - I LOVE it gone . . . wonder if DH will notice :eek:

Sue

twohappycampers
09-22-2011, 05:16 PM
You all got me going - I removed the border but notice some stickiness on the wall. Do you think goo-gone would work? I'm afraid it might leave a stain. Any advice would be appreciated. By the way - I LOVE it gone . . . wonder if DH will notice :eek:

Sue

Another convert! :D I didn't have any stickiness left my borders. DON'T, I repeat, DON'T try anything to remove that stickiness unless you first test it on a hidden area and make sure it's okay. I tried something similar, goof-off it was called, to try and remove the pencil mark the installer had used to mark his place and it took the finish right off and left a light coloured splotch. I freaked! Fixed it though - told the story on a previous post.

Lorna

gjackson
09-23-2011, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the advice Lorna. I went back further on the thread and saw that some used Goo Gone, so I may try that in an inconspicuous corner. When Glen came home I asked him if he liked the changes I'd made (not telling him what that was). He looked around and couldn't figure it out. I finally told him and he said he liked it much better. We were really tired of all the brown!!

twohappycampers
09-23-2011, 09:25 AM
Hi Sue. Let me know how it went for you using the Goo-Gone. The wall finish I have doesn't seem all that hardy - maybe it's okay on yours? I'd suggest you try it on some place in a closet, and then look at it in really good light. I've used one of those 3M Command hooks and when I took it off it didn't seem to leave a mark, but then when I looked at it in different light and at a different angle, it it is visible enough to bug me, it didn't take off the pattern but it took off some of the finish, if that makes any sense. It's in an okay place because I'll just hang another picture up there. But I wouldn't want that kind of a mark running throughout my place. You may decide a little stickiness is okay.

I'm sure others have used it successfully, maybe on different wall finishes? Oh, yeah, I remember now having read that others had used it, so that's why I grabbed the Goof-Off, because it's a similar product. Lesson to me - "test in an inconspicuous area". How I forgot such an elementary thing I don't know, oh yes I do, I didn't want to take the time!

I asked my husband the same thing "notice anything different?". Nope. He didn't even remember that it ever had a border, even when I showed him the piece I'd saved. :) I certainly agree with getting tired of so much brown. I have the mocha kitchen cabinets to break it up, thankfully, but still... I'm on a mission to find some way to brighten it up with colour. We bought a sofa-bed in a dark brown, and two recliners in a tan colour - more brown! At least we have an easy colour to work with, right?

Take good care - Lorna

kakampers
09-23-2011, 04:46 PM
I too am removing the border...Goo Gone works great at taking off the glue residue, and I just used a simple pencil eraser to remove the pencil mark used by the installer to line up the border! Really like it alot better without it!!

twohappycampers
09-27-2011, 10:13 AM
I was just checking out the pics on the new Landmark Key Largo - beautiful! I'm happy to say, though, that I prefer the layout and features of my 3450TS. :)

Oh, I came on here to comment on these borders, didn't I? I can see why the factory might want to continue putting the borders on. I think they're needed to bring some pizzaz to the place; it would look pretty plain without them, before someone is actually living there with their stuff and decorations and homey touches. Besides, the borders on the Key Largo look to be a much prettier design. So, I vote for the factory to keep putting the borders on to make the units look more dressed up and for those who prefer the borders. Just make them easy to remove cleanly for those who want them off. And for people who are ordering one, give them the option of "no border". Not that anyone asked my opinion :D

ParkIt
10-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Pretty sure it took all of 3 days after delivery for me to peel it all off, I would have left it if it had been lined up properly from the factory but it wasn't. When all the slides were out there was a difference from one wall to the next - looked like a drunk monkey threw it on. There were also enough bubbles and corners not pressed down so peeling it off left no residue and was easy to grab and gently pull off.

One thing my Grandpa used to use to lift sticky off any surface without damage was Grandma's sewing machine lubricating oil. Cooking oil works too but the sewing stuff isn't as difficult to clean up afterwards. My Grandparents bought their first Avion in 1950, they had a lot of experience with up-keep and modifying trailers for 35 years :)

RallyUp
10-22-2011, 08:44 PM
We just purchased a Bighorn and the border paper in the bathroom had a very large bubble in it because it was on a radius wall. We asked the dealer to remove it, and I have to say that I like it better without the border. The border paper in the bathroom really didn't match the rest of the camper and the bathroom looks bigger without it.

jbeletti
10-22-2011, 09:58 PM
I just reviewed a Landmark Mesa and I believe the borders are no longer being used in the Landmarks. Could Bighorn be far behind?... I sort of like the look without it. I think it really gives the owner more of a blank canvas to begin their own decorating.

Jim

ParkIt
10-22-2011, 10:41 PM
I think for folks who spend a good deal of time in their units don't like them for the 'blank canvas' as you mentioned. The really baffling thing to me was how mis-aligned ours was along with bubbles and places where it wasn't even pressed down properly from the factory. (made it a lot easier to take off though)
Wonder if HL should check with the factories on how they are applying them or which units may want that as an option.

Ann_Mayer
06-17-2012, 06:44 AM
Personally, I prefer the look without the border. Perhaps border/no border should be an option in the future? I peeled a section off but now have some sticky residue left behind. How do I get that off?

RanCarr
08-28-2012, 02:20 PM
Personally, I prefer the look without the border. Perhaps border/no border should be an option in the future? I peeled a section off but now have some sticky residue left behind. How do I get that off?

Be very careful what you use as it can remove the "finish" or lighten the wallpaper behind it. I think I'm going to try and go over the horrible dark brown border in my NT with a more pleasing and colorful border. I can't stand looking at it anymore and can't find an "end" to start removing it. It's under the windows and door frames and I sure don't want to start removing them to get the ugly border off.

Ray LeTourneau
08-28-2012, 03:12 PM

Ann, sorry I didn't see your post till now. That residue will come off pretty easily. We didn't have much residue but rubbing it with my fingers got most of it. I've never been a fan of Goo Gone but I have used WD40. the smell goes away pretty quickly.:rolleyes:

twohappycampers
09-05-2012, 01:16 PM
I removed the border all around very successfully. When I couldn't find the end, as you mentioned, I simply took a utility knife and carefully sliced through the border as close to the windows and door frames as possible - it worked well. Lorna

ParkIt
02-24-2013, 01:40 PM
One of the reasons using your fingers works well is because of the natural oil from your body (go ahead, put your clean hand on a clean window and see what's there)...instead of taking up that time I've found using a well used terry cloth towel and a dab of olive oil is easier. Afterwards its easy to clean the wall with light soap and good rinse wiping.

RanCarr
05-19-2013, 03:34 PM
I finally dealt with that ugly border. Trying to remove it all without damaging the walls, and then getting the sticky stuff off was more than I wanted to deal with. I bought a nice border slightly higher than the original and glued it OVER the original. You can't tell there's another border under it and I saved hours of labor. :)

psherman1
08-01-2013, 09:48 AM
Just bought other wallpaper border and pasted right over the old stuff. Brightened up the cabin and goes with the new drapes, valances, bedspread etc.. We even went as far as having the table, kitchen counter and tv stand counter redone in a new covering. Looks nice!

twohappycampers
08-01-2013, 12:38 PM
I didn't want a wallpaper border of any kind. So I was happy to find that the existing wallpaper border simply peeled off, no damage to the walls, and no residue to clean off, easy as pie. This hasn't been everyone's experience I know. Maybe worth a try on a hidden area. Mine was some sort of plastic-y stuff rather than paper-y stuff. :)

2_travelbuds
02-02-2014, 02:01 PM
We also removed the wallpaper border from our 2013 3650RL Big Country. It came off easily and we find it looks less 'busy' in the RV.

We also moved the valance over the back window out from the wall by 2 inches, removed the side window border panels and hung curtains using cafe clips on a tension rod which fit within the valance. It makes it look very cozy inside and when closed they help keep the temperatures down inside the RV the hot Arizona sun.

KimberOlli
05-21-2014, 10:27 AM
If only the manufacturer's would take a little decorating sense from Airstream, Eddie Bauer or LL Bean. I'd like to see the decor reflect the great outdoors or at least not decorated for Grandma [no offense intended Gram]. I removed the window covering and treatments that came with the camper and put up some woodsy wicker shades. I'd also like to remove the boarders and I was thinking that a damp sponge treatment would work fine for that. Then I'd like to paint the walls a light moss green and get the cushions upholstered with a solid color canvas, maybe in a deep dark red. Boarders are so outdated!