wallpaper border

gjackson

You all got me going - I removed the border but notice some stickiness on the wall. Do you think goo-gone would work? I'm afraid it might leave a stain. Any advice would be appreciated. By the way - I LOVE it gone . . . wonder if DH will notice :eek:

Sue

twohappycampers

You all got me going - I removed the border but notice some stickiness on the wall. Do you think goo-gone would work? I'm afraid it might leave a stain. Any advice would be appreciated. By the way - I LOVE it gone . . . wonder if DH will notice :eek:

Sue

Another convert! :D I didn't have any stickiness left my borders. DON'T, I repeat, DON'T try anything to remove that stickiness unless you first test it on a hidden area and make sure it's okay. I tried something similar, goof-off it was called, to try and remove the pencil mark the installer had used to mark his place and it took the finish right off and left a light coloured splotch. I freaked! Fixed it though - told the story on a previous post.

Lorna

gjackson

Thanks for the advice Lorna. I went back further on the thread and saw that some used Goo Gone, so I may try that in an inconspicuous corner. When Glen came home I asked him if he liked the changes I'd made (not telling him what that was). He looked around and couldn't figure it out. I finally told him and he said he liked it much better. We were really tired of all the brown!!

twohappycampers

Hi Sue. Let me know how it went for you using the Goo-Gone. The wall finish I have doesn't seem all that hardy - maybe it's okay on yours? I'd suggest you try it on some place in a closet, and then look at it in really good light. I've used one of those 3M Command hooks and when I took it off it didn't seem to leave a mark, but then when I looked at it in different light and at a different angle, it it is visible enough to bug me, it didn't take off the pattern but it took off some of the finish, if that makes any sense. It's in an okay place because I'll just hang another picture up there. But I wouldn't want that kind of a mark running throughout my place. You may decide a little stickiness is okay.

I'm sure others have used it successfully, maybe on different wall finishes? Oh, yeah, I remember now having read that others had used it, so that's why I grabbed the Goof-Off, because it's a similar product. Lesson to me - "test in an inconspicuous area". How I forgot such an elementary thing I don't know, oh yes I do, I didn't want to take the time!

I asked my husband the same thing "notice anything different?". Nope. He didn't even remember that it ever had a border, even when I showed him the piece I'd saved. :) I certainly agree with getting tired of so much brown. I have the mocha kitchen cabinets to break it up, thankfully, but still... I'm on a mission to find some way to brighten it up with colour. We bought a sofa-bed in a dark brown, and two recliners in a tan colour - more brown! At least we have an easy colour to work with, right?

Take good care - Lorna

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I too am removing the border...Goo Gone works great at taking off the glue residue, and I just used a simple pencil eraser to remove the pencil mark used by the installer to line up the border! Really like it alot better without it!!

twohappycampers

I was just checking out the pics on the new Landmark Key Largo - beautiful! I'm happy to say, though, that I prefer the layout and features of my 3450TS. :)

Oh, I came on here to comment on these borders, didn't I? I can see why the factory might want to continue putting the borders on. I think they're needed to bring some pizzaz to the place; it would look pretty plain without them, before someone is actually living there with their stuff and decorations and homey touches. Besides, the borders on the Key Largo look to be a much prettier design. So, I vote for the factory to keep putting the borders on to make the units look more dressed up and for those who prefer the borders. Just make them easy to remove cleanly for those who want them off. And for people who are ordering one, give them the option of "no border". Not that anyone asked my opinion :D

ParkIt

Pretty sure it took all of 3 days after delivery for me to peel it all off, I would have left it if it had been lined up properly from the factory but it wasn't. When all the slides were out there was a difference from one wall to the next - looked like a drunk monkey threw it on. There were also enough bubbles and corners not pressed down so peeling it off left no residue and was easy to grab and gently pull off.

One thing my Grandpa used to use to lift sticky off any surface without damage was Grandma's sewing machine lubricating oil. Cooking oil works too but the sewing stuff isn't as difficult to clean up afterwards. My Grandparents bought their first Avion in 1950, they had a lot of experience with up-keep and modifying trailers for 35 years :)

RallyUp

We just purchased a Bighorn and the border paper in the bathroom had a very large bubble in it because it was on a radius wall. We asked the dealer to remove it, and I have to say that I like it better without the border. The border paper in the bathroom really didn't match the rest of the camper and the bathroom looks bigger without it.

jbeletti

I just reviewed a Landmark Mesa and I believe the borders are no longer being used in the Landmarks. Could Bighorn be far behind?... I sort of like the look without it. I think it really gives the owner more of a blank canvas to begin their own decorating.

Jim

ParkIt

I think for folks who spend a good deal of time in their units don't like them for the 'blank canvas' as you mentioned. The really baffling thing to me was how mis-aligned ours was along with bubbles and places where it wasn't even pressed down properly from the factory. (made it a lot easier to take off though)
Wonder if HL should check with the factories on how they are applying them or which units may want that as an option.

Ann_Mayer

Personally, I prefer the look without the border. Perhaps border/no border should be an option in the future? I peeled a section off but now have some sticky residue left behind. How do I get that off?

RanCarr

Personally, I prefer the look without the border. Perhaps border/no border should be an option in the future? I peeled a section off but now have some sticky residue left behind. How do I get that off?

Be very careful what you use as it can remove the "finish" or lighten the wallpaper behind it. I think I'm going to try and go over the horrible dark brown border in my NT with a more pleasing and colorful border. I can't stand looking at it anymore and can't find an "end" to start removing it. It's under the windows and door frames and I sure don't want to start removing them to get the ugly border off.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

Ann, sorry I didn't see your post till now. That residue will come off pretty easily. We didn't have much residue but rubbing it with my fingers got most of it. I've never been a fan of Goo Gone but I have used WD40. the smell goes away pretty quickly.:rolleyes:

twohappycampers

I removed the border all around very successfully. When I couldn't find the end, as you mentioned, I simply took a utility knife and carefully sliced through the border as close to the windows and door frames as possible - it worked well. Lorna

ParkIt

One of the reasons using your fingers works well is because of the natural oil from your body (go ahead, put your clean hand on a clean window and see what's there)...instead of taking up that time I've found using a well used terry cloth towel and a dab of olive oil is easier. Afterwards its easy to clean the wall with light soap and good rinse wiping.

RanCarr

I finally dealt with that ugly border. Trying to remove it all without damaging the walls, and then getting the sticky stuff off was more than I wanted to deal with. I bought a nice border slightly higher than the original and glued it OVER the original. You can't tell there's another border under it and I saved hours of labor. :)

psherman1

Just bought other wallpaper border and pasted right over the old stuff. Brightened up the cabin and goes with the new drapes, valances, bedspread etc.. We even went as far as having the table, kitchen counter and tv stand counter redone in a new covering. Looks nice!

twohappycampers

I didn't want a wallpaper border of any kind. So I was happy to find that the existing wallpaper border simply peeled off, no damage to the walls, and no residue to clean off, easy as pie. This hasn't been everyone's experience I know. Maybe worth a try on a hidden area. Mine was some sort of plastic-y stuff rather than paper-y stuff. :)

We also removed the wallpaper border from our 2013 3650RL Big Country. It came off easily and we find it looks less 'busy' in the RV.

We also moved the valance over the back window out from the wall by 2 inches, removed the side window border panels and hung curtains using cafe clips on a tension rod which fit within the valance. It makes it look very cozy inside and when closed they help keep the temperatures down inside the RV the hot Arizona sun.

If only the manufacturer's would take a little decorating sense from Airstream, Eddie Bauer or LL Bean. I'd like to see the decor reflect the great outdoors or at least not decorated for Grandma [no offense intended Gram]. I removed the window covering and treatments that came with the camper and put up some woodsy wicker shades. I'd also like to remove the boarders and I was thinking that a damp sponge treatment would work fine for that. Then I'd like to paint the walls a light moss green and get the cushions upholstered with a solid color canvas, maybe in a deep dark red. Boarders are so outdated!