GMC Intermediate Steering Shaft

Uncle Rog

Howdy, I have had a heck of a time with the grease drying out / leaking and causing rattling. My 03 Chevy did the same thing. I have gone to the dealer four times and they replace the part, but it only lasts a couple of months. Any body else have the problem? It is not a safety issue just a nusance....

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Mine is the same way, the only thing you can do is grease it, to dampen the effect. You would think over the years they could up with something better. Ken

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I had gotten my 2003 steering noise/nuisance fixed many years ago. All they did was pack it with grease and I have not had any problem since. I do not understand why your dealership continued to replace the parts. Maybe they just want to keep charging GM for unnecessary parts and labor. Or I suppose maybe they never knew about packing the intermediate column with grease. Anyway I hope you get yours taken care of. I know how annoying that can be.

Good luck,
Mark

Uncle Rog

mrcomer, the first two times they re-packed the unit, replaced it the third time with the same part, this week they installed the new / improved model which doesn't seem much better, it is quieter so far.......

Gary Steeves

Had the same problem as Uncle Rog. Had it repacked at about 15,000 miles, then 30,000. A few weeks ago, dealer told me about the new "fix" and it has been ok since. Time will tell. In the meantime, I complained directly to Chev. They sent me a letter extending the warranty for steering linkage parts and labor. Without looking at the letter, I think it goes out to about 60,000 miles.

Uncle Rog

No Bueno Still

My last "fix" lasted about 20 miles, great truck but the rattle is frustrating. I will try again this week..........

JJAK17

Knock on wood. I have had mine "fixed" 3 times. The last one was at about 39000 miles, they fixed it under warranty. I now have almost 54000 miles and the rattle is still gone. I am waiting for it to return and I am sure it will.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Gary, can you tell me what the dealer fix was? Mine has been done three times. The last time it lasted about three thousand miles, I now have 64 thousand miles on the truck. GM customer service told me they would contact me when a permenant fix was found. I have heard nothing. I probably will have to pay for it, but it will be nice to be rid of the knock.

Forrest Fetherolf

fireflipper,
I read your post above, you should not have to pay for any steering fix. It must be an ongoing problem from what I have read. I would bundle my receipts and print all the other posts in this forum, and if necessary, do a war dance in the showroom. It has worked for me in the past with other issues.
Forrest

ct0218

I gave up on mine after several "fixes", and now I seldom hear or feel it. It has been a problem since the late 90's, and you would think they could have corrected it in 8-10 years.

Gary Steeves

Fireflipper, Sorry so late in responding.
My records are:
16,449 miles Chev invoice shows fix w/ part # 89060582 shaft (I thought that was the grease fix)
33,309 miles shows part # 26098419 "lube kit"
41,842 miles shows part # 19153614 "shaft 6.524" ( this is supposed to be the 'permanent' fix

My letter from Chev extended the warranty to 4-10-2010, or 60,000 miles and reads "Steering - Gear housing and all internal parts; rack and pinion; power steering pump; steering shaft couplings; seals and gaskets and column" Their customer assistance center # is 800-222-1020.

Hope this helps, Gary

Gary Steeves

Uncle Rog,

I only have put on about 4,000 miles since the last "fix" - but so far so good. Of course the previous repairs were also doing fine at that mileage.